Did Dave Murray smash a real Fender Strat here?

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I'll bet it was a Bullet Strat. I was huge fan back in the day, and I think back then Murray played less expensive Strats to begin with. I see that Adrian Smith is playing a Dean. I remember he has an Ibanez endorsement (he played a Destroyer) during the Number of the Beast days... interesting. I never saw him with a Dean.

Last edited:

5F6-A

Reaction score
I'll bet it was a Bullet Strat. I was huge fan back in the day, and I think back then Murray played less expensive Strats to begin with. I see that Adrian Smith is playing a Dean. I remember he has an Ibanez endorsement "he played a Destroyer" during the Number of the Beast days... interesting. I never saw him with a Dean.
Funny thing is the guitar was routed for humbuckers and had Super Distortions... a lot of work to be just a prop.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is the guitar was routed for humbuckers and had Super Distortions... a lot of work to be just a prop.
I had an early 90s Squier that had the swimming pool route.
Could have done three humbuckers if I'd wanted to.

That headstock does look suspicious... it looks like a standard pre-CBS size, but has the large block lettering for "Stratocaster" curving around the face.

I'll bet it is a Squier.

Edit: Never mind... date on the video is 1983
More likely an import with a Fender decal... or some imports had decals that looked legit from 20ft away.

Meatwad

Reaction score
The headstock shape and logo looks to me like an early 80's Dan Smith era Strat.

I'm guessing partscaster, since those Strats had the output jack located where the second tone control would typically be.
The one he has in the video has the usual Strat jack.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headstock shape and logo looks to me like an early 80's Dan Smith era Strat.

I'm guessing partscaster, since those Strats had the output jack located where the second tone control would typically be.
The one he has in the video has the usual Strat jack.
There ya go... I had forgotten that the Dan Smith carried the 70's decal onto the "atrophied" headstock.

Dazza

Reaction score
Dave predominately played his Black body / white pickguard Strat that used to belong to Paul Kossoff of Free. The fact he's not playing it for the show finale suggests this is a backup guitar, possibly intended for destruction. Genuine strat or not wouldn't really matter to him.

They both got Ibanez Destroyer II models earlier in Japan and played them on the Beast tour. Dave's sunburst and Adrian's metallic red can be seen in live footage though Adrian used his in later tours too. Both had set necks despite the production run metallic red being bolt on. In the 80's I had a sunburst and my mate had the red. Those early Destroyer II's were pretty good but that later ones felt cheap.

Adrian had a couple of Dean guitars. Bruce would play one of them during the 1st half of Revelations on the Powerslave tour. If I recall it got broken in Brazil when Bruce took a tumble running offstage.

Daz

diavolo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they smashed a real guy who was in that costume. ;)
The guitar probably was a fender.
I wonder if strats are the most smashed guitars of all time?

edit:
for the one in the video i'm going to guess its a "Smith" strat as someone else already mentioned.
the 1982 model had the output jack in the same sport, truss rod adjustment in the heel, and 21 frets with that headstock. seems to be the likely candidate.

Last edited:

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Pete Townsend said that Strats were the hardest ones to smash. He also said that the SG Specials that he smashed (until there were very few left to buy to break!) broke up quite easily. Pete was an expert in the finer points of guitar destruction.
Al

Red Beard

Reaction score
Iron madien was one of the biggest bands in the world back then
I doubt other the Kossoffs strat,Dave gave two shits bout smashing a guitar
They had there own 747,,a atrat or two for entertainment im sure wasnt even though of being destructive
There was a tractor trailer full of them out back

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
Dave predominately played his Black body / white pickguard Strat that used to belong to Paul Kossoff of Free. The fact he's not playing it for the show finale suggests this is a backup guitar, possibly intended for destruction. Genuine strat or not wouldn't really matter to him.

They both got Ibanez Destroyer II models earlier in Japan and played them on the Beast tour. Dave's sunburst and Adrian's metallic red can be seen in live footage though Adrian used his in later tours too. Both had set necks despite the production run metallic red being bolt on. In the 80's I had a sunburst and my mate had the red. Those early Destroyer II's were pretty good but that later ones felt cheap.

Adrian had a couple of Dean guitars. Bruce would play one of them during the 1st half of Revelations on the Powerslave tour. If I recall it got broken in Brazil when Bruce took a tumble running offstage.

Daz
Dave played Dean's too, I believe he had an ML as well.
Screenshot_20210302-200525_Google.jpg

Latest Threads