Did anyone notice this on Slash's Instagram Page? 50's style Standard - NEW

519tbarr

Reaction score
Claiming to be a new Les Paul Standard 50's style stock? On Slash's twitter feed/instagram.
Looks like a modern day traditional with maybe a change in pickups?
Maybe a sign of things to come in the USA lineup or a misquote?
Brand spanking new stock Gibson USA 50s style Les Paul Standard This guitar sound.png
slashtwitter-usa-gibson-std.png

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Claiming to be a new Les Paul Standard 50's style stock? On Slash's twitter feed/instagram.
Looks like a modern day traditional with maybe a change in pickups?
Maybe a sign of things to come in the USA lineup or a misquote?View attachment 352925 View attachment 352926
I don't use Instagram, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's probably just a traditional. I still think it's ridiculous that Gibson created unnecessary confusion by renaming the standard and introducing a new model in its place. Sure, changes to the standard have happened before, but by and large, you always knew what you were getting with a standard. The new standards, while fine guitars in their own right, were such a huge departure, it would have probably made more sense to just give them a different name instead.

I know I'm not the only one to feel this way. It's possible that that's what slash means too.

519tbarr

Reaction score
Not to start a debate on Standard VS Traditional but I don't consider Traditionals post 2016 (minus the 2015 debacle) to be Traditional, Traditional's (Standards). In 2017 the neck shape changed, the pickups changed to BB 1&2, the hardware changed to the ABR on nashville post inserts etc. - I have played a lot of Traditional's over the year's. The 2008-2013 models were much closer in feel to the 90's standard's then they seem to be today. (I also wonder if they have changed electronics/pots etc because the pot's don't seem to taper/roll down the same way the old pots did in previous years - i also know Gibson has changed ohmage in their pots over the years.)

But yes -Gibson should never have played with the standard the way they did in 2008 forward. They should have named it something else. "The Resonator" Les Paul Modern - something else.

dodona

Reaction score
I remember slash always played non figured plain maple top les pauls until recently.

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
heh I came here looking for info on that model. I saw him post that but don’t see it on their website. He’s their official brand ambassador so I don’t think he made a typo, must be something new they’re releasing.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
I think he straight up removed pup covers and a picguard from a standard and wired it 50s style, idk if he means it was like that stock besides the obvious pickguard removal

Edit* maybe its a new non weight relieved model with mismatched flame maple cap, the neck is probably a fat 50s carve who knows if the finish dye colors are more prone to fading aswell

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a signature player up-the-wazzoo price tag only immortals can afford(we hope).Just a great instrument,aspiring players can reach for,the USA production Standard.I like the double blacks with that burst color.

Great marketing.

Khshockey44

Reaction score
Not to start a debate on Standard VS Traditional but I don't consider Traditionals post 2016 (minus the 2015 debacle) to be Traditional, Traditional's (Standards). In 2017 the neck shape changed, the pickups changed to BB 1&2, the hardware changed to the ABR on nashville post inserts etc. - I have played a lot of Traditional's over the year's. The 2008-2013 models were much closer in feel to the 90's standard's then they seem to be today. (I also wonder if they have changed electronics/pots etc because the pot's don't seem to taper/roll down the same way the old pots did in previous years - i also know Gibson has changed ohmage in their pots over the years.)

But yes -Gibson should never have played with the standard the way they did in 2008 forward. They should have named it something else. "The Resonator" Les Paul Modern - something else.
I know a lot of Gibson's including the SG standard and LPs have gone to a printed circuit board. I picked up an SG Standard a few weeks ago as well as a LP Classic, I couldn't bring myself to play the SG. The classic is one of the few hand wired LP's around besides a reissue from what I have seen. I ended up retuning both of them and picking up a GC run 1960 Reissue (way better than either of those two I originally purchased). You can definitely tell with the printed circuit board the guitars are choked off.

Rick

Reaction score
I know a lot of Gibson's including the SG standard and LPs have gone to a printed circuit board. I picked up an SG Standard a few weeks ago as well as a LP Classic, I couldn't bring myself to play the SG. The classic is one of the few hand wired LP's around besides a reissue from what I have seen. I ended up retuning both of them and picking up a GC run 1960 Reissue (way better than either of those two I originally purchased). You can definitely tell with the printed circuit board the guitars are choked off.
Dude, come on. Copper is copper. Nothing is choked off. :facepalm:

Tobin1634

Reaction score
Its a badass looking guitar, but who the hell knows what is going on here. Is it really stock? Almost all of Slash's LPs have his signature seymour duncan pups?

Tobin1634

Reaction score
OH and for those of you who don't follow Slash's instagram... let's just say that its very rare to see a guitar posted..

kakerlak

Reaction score
Kind of looks like that might be a traditional, studs-in-wood ABR-1, rather than one of the newer ones that ride in threaded inserts. It looks to me like the post is sitting lower in the bridge on the bass side, which you wouldn't get with the Nashville style setup. If so, that could be something pretty cool to see back in the USA/Traditional range.