Dewalt 745 DIY Table

Stephmon

Reaction score
There's a fair amount of well earned admiration on the board for the Dewalt 745 - 10" Table Saw. It can be highly accurate and regularly goes on sale at the Home Depot for prices that make it a great value.

1600391299707.png

A few years back, a friend gave us an Ikea office cabinet, and I figured it would be the perfect base for a convertible table. As an added bonus, it came with casters fitted with screw-on bases.

I can't find the precise cabinet online anymore. But, it was very much like the Malm (pictured below) with drawer handles (may have been added after purchase). The dimensions are 16"W x 21"H x 19-1/2"D. The key is that it should support the saw's feet, which have a 15-3/4"W x 18"D footprint.

1600391213508.png

Stephmon

Reaction score
The tubular base of the saw has holes, for securing to a surface. I used deck screws, directly into the top of the cabinet.

To get the fold out table 'wings' positioned correctly, I used deck screws to bolt 2x4's, front-and-back, on the left and 2x6's, front-and-back, on the right (final dimensions 2 x 3-7/8 x 20-1/8 & 2 x 5-3/8 x 20-1/8).

For added stability, I put the casters outboard of those 'ears', on 25-1/2" long 2-by-scrap (the horizontal pieces are 1-5/8 x 3-1/2" x 25-1/2", the square cross section pieces are 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 23-1/2"

Stephmon

Reaction score
To each wing, I screwed on a sheet of 3/4" plywood 19D x 24H

There are a total of twelve 2-1/2" hinges, six per side. Two per side attach the table tops and 4 per side attach the supports.

When the tops are folded down, the supports are hidden inside. They nest snug, to maximize the length, over which they support the tops.

When the top (or tops) is/(are) up, the supports fold out, in line with front and back edges, to support it.

Each support is 10" high, 8-1/2" wide and angles up from the 10" side, to 2-1/4" (IIRC, I cut this from a rectangular piece that was about 8-1/2" x 12"

The tops are 'ladder framed' with 1 x 3 (3/4" x 2-1/2") and the surface is cut from Home Depot 2' x 4' .216IN MDF. Final dimensions are 19" D x 24" W

Last edited:

Stephmon

Reaction score
LIke I said before, when the wings are folded in and the tops are down, the wings nest neatly inside.

Initially, I clamped the plywood uprights to the 'ears' and used my longest straight edges (bubble levels) to ensure that the raised tops would be flush with the saw top surface. After a few rounds of adjustment, and double-checking, I screwed the plywood to the ears.

The rack mechanism for moving the fence has 19-3/4" clearance and my table tops are 19". But, they're not centered front to back. I left 1/8" clearance from the back, and about 5/8" from the front (similar to the saw itself, which has the measuring guide in the front).

Questions?

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Thank you so much for sharing that.

A lot of builders here have that very same saw, myself included.

DaveR

Reaction score
What do you do on the outfeed side? When I used one of those Dewalt saws briefly, I tried to rip an 8ft 2x6 and had to get some help to catch the board as it came off the back. Not a unique problem to that saw, even a big one doesn't have enough support on the back side. And I personally despise roller stands as they tend to get knocked over at just the wrong time.

My last two saws have had a folding table like this. I would imagine someone clever could incorporate a third folding table on the back just like you built for the two sides of your cabinet....

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

Stephmon

Reaction score
What do you do on the outfeed side? When I used one of those Dewalt saws briefly, I tried to rip an 8ft 2x6 and had to get some help to catch the board as it came off the back. Not a unique problem to that saw, even a big one doesn't have enough support on the back side. And I personally despise roller stands as they tend to get knocked over at just the wrong time.

My last two saws have had a folding table like this. I would imagine someone clever could incorporate a third folding table on the back just like you built for the two sides of your cabinet....
I've been prepared to do just that (add a nearly identical 3rd wing, at the back) when the need arises. But, in all the years I've had the saw, I can't recall ripping anything longer than a fretboard.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
I have the DeWalt 745. I think this is my next project. I don't know if others experience this, but I find it would be nice to have an additional 6-12 inches of in-feed surface. It would make some cuts a little safer.

Latest Threads