Designing a new pedalboard.

epilespaul2000

Reaction score
After reading these two threads, I realized that I really have a ton of wasted space on my pedal board that was really giving me a hassle during transportation and was doing me no benefit. So I've decided to go at it again and design another one for the most efficient use of space possible (for my skill level at least), so I came up with these designs today.

epilespaul2000-albums-pedalboard-design-picture30038-pedal-board-design.jpg

epilespaul2000-albums-pedalboard-design-picture30043-pedal-board-design-functions.jpg

(thanks V!N for the idea, here)

The schematics started on the a notebook and moved to the computer eventually. :D I designed the pedalboard to be able to fit into a Playstation 3 travel case for easy transport.

I'd like to hear some feedback/suggestions on how to make this more efficient/better.

Thanks guys! :thumb:

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous design, especially fitting into a PS travel case, love seeing folks thinking outside of the box! :thumb:

I honestly don't see a way to make it more efficient with the 3 pedals yer using; no reason to invest in a dedicated power supply, and the AC cable coming off of the powerstrip will be nice and beefy.

Good move putting the DD-6 sideways at the end of the board, should be a totally useful and accessible way to go on that.

Also, looks like no need for special cables with the space you have going on, so if that all fits in the PS case, yer totally golden. :dude:

Simple, efficient, and stageworthy. :cool:

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
As Mud said above, it looks golden indeed. It fits your needs perdectly, it's practical. However, you didn't mention anything on the basic material you will use. I guess we are talking wood...? It will have an impact on the weight and the durability of the pedalboard, whatever you go with, so choose wisely there.

There are also good links on the other threads you are mentioning, for custom paint works. Check them out.

Nice thinking!

ehamady6

Reaction score
I think you're on target with the slats and "wedge" type design. That will allow you to hide the power supply and cables for an efficient and clean looking board.

epilespaul2000

Reaction score
Gorgeous design, especially fitting into a PS travel case, love seeing folks thinking outside of the box! :thumb:

I honestly don't see a way to make it more efficient with the 3 pedals yer using; no reason to invest in a dedicated power supply, and the AC cable coming off of the powerstrip will be nice and beefy.

Good move putting the DD-6 sideways at the end of the board, should be a totally useful and accessible way to go on that.

Also, looks like no need for special cables with the space you have going on, so if that all fits in the PS case, yer totally golden. :dude:

Simple, efficient, and stageworthy. :cool:

Thanks for the input! :thumb:

As Mud said above, it looks golden indeed. It fits your needs perdectly, it's practical. However, you didn't mention anything on the basic material you will use. I guess we are talking wood...? It will have an impact on the weight and the durability of the pedalboard, whatever you go with, so choose wisely there.

There are also good links on the other threads you are mentioning, for custom paint works. Check them out.

Nice thinking!

Yes, I will be using solid wood. I made the big mistake last time of using thick particle board, and regret it dearly. I was in a big rush to get a board built, and got ripped off by the carpenter. This build, unlike the last one, is going to be well thought out. Hopefully, it will turn out as nice as I hope despite my limited experience in wood work. I'll also definitely take a look at the paint threads, but probably will end up leaving it bear or coating it with some kind of lacquer at the very most. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as I can. (plus, I don't have a whole ton of space to do all kinds of crazy painting)

I think you're on target with the slats and "wedge" type design. That will allow you to hide the power supply and cables for an efficient and clean looking board.

Thanks. :D

V!N

Reaction score
(thanks V!N for the idea, here)
You're welcome ! :dude: It's in my nature as an art director to get some visuals to help me illustrate my ideas and to measure things up.

Yours looks like a nice board, but I can't help but wonder if that Delay pedal is placed in a handy and easy to stomp way. Perhaps the size of the Play Station case is a limiting factor here. You could go to thrift stores and find a nice briefcase or a small suitcase and then make a board to fit it ?

You also might want to read this thread on the Banjocaster Forum. If not for ideas and inspiration, then just for the heck of reading a good thread. :)

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread - Telecaster Guitar Forum

epilespaul2000

Reaction score
The DD-6 pedal isn't really a problem with the way it is placed. I tried it sideways on my current board and it's really not that hard to press because of the way the stomp switch is. If it was one of those "button" (for lack of better words) switches I probably would be more concerned. Plus, the board has a pretty good angle to it and is very small which makes it even easier. I'm going to go to the thrift store (there's only one here) and if they have any briefcases or something similar then I will buy it, but I don't want it too much bigger than it is because I have a tiny room that is shared with my brother and need something portable. I would only make it big enough for 1 or 2 pedals at the very maximum.

The thing that I do like about the PS3 travel cases, however, is that they have a compartment that is meant to store controllers that can be used to hold cables and other little guitar doodads.

Anyways, thanks for the input V!N!

PS. Thanks for the link! That was a very cool thread!

Deftone

Reaction score

I agree. I think this is also a good way to be able to secure pedal to the board w/o having drill permanent holes for mounting.

I've been considering something like this for a while now, too. Also, since I only play at home, I want access to my pedals w/o having to bend over. So I'm going to set the whole board up on a stand. I have couple of amps upstairs and a couple of amps downstairs, so I want everything secured and easy to move back and forth.

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
here is mine...just a small simple flight case that closes into a metal briefcase...

DSC01281.jpg

epilespaul2000

Reaction score
That's a pretty pedal board Shades of Blue. How're you liking that Satchurator? I didn't really care much for it myself, so I'm selling it.

Oh, and what are those connectors that you have between the Boss pedals?! Those look great for saving space!

Great rig. :)

Latest Threads