Demo of an aged Gibbons Pearly Gates Les Paul with vintage 1959 PAFs, pots, and caps

rykus

Reaction score
Nice playing and tone on those ones! are those the new paf's you put pic's of in the vintage section a while back? they sound perfect!

Les Zombie

Reaction score
Nice clips, too bad u only play once a month with a collection like that its kind of a waste but atleast you made some clips everybody to enjoy. Maybe at some point we could get u to make some kiss clips.

bugman

Reaction score
sounds great man,, i enjoyed it,, i respect you more after killing that spider you my kind of dude,,,Bugman!!!!

Dave1968

Reaction score
Those PAF's do sound good!!! :applause::applause::applause:Are they original '59s or something I am not aware of??

Nice playing too btw!!:thumb:

Shame about the spider, they're good to keep about the house!!:D

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice playing and tone on those ones! are those the new paf's you put pic's of in the vintage section a while back? they sound perfect!

I don't think so; I did not end up buying that set.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice clips, too bad u only play once a month with a collection like that its kind of a waste but atleast you made some clips everybody to enjoy. Maybe at some point we could get u to make some kiss clips.

I have a couple of Ace clips on youtube with the blue sparkle LP Custom I used to own

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those PAF's do sound good!!! :applause::applause::applause:Are they original '59s or something I am not aware of??

Nice playing too btw!!:thumb:

Shame about the spider, they're good to keep about the house!!:D

They are real vintage 59s, as are the pots and caps. The pots and caps made a noticeable difference. First I put the pickups in & left the stock pots & caps. But I was not satisfied with the sound b/c I knew what the pickups sounded like in a different guitar with the pots & caps. So I went ahead & put the pots & caps in....that guitar is so easy to play. The neck is perfect. And the aging is awesome. It really feels like a vintage guitar.

Dave1968

Reaction score
They are real vintage 59s, as are the pots and caps. The pots and caps made a noticeable difference. First I put the pickups in & left the stock pots & caps. But I was not satisfied with the sound b/c I knew what the pickups sounded like in a different guitar with the pots & caps. So I went ahead & put the pots & caps in....that guitar is so easy to play. The neck is perfect. And the aging is awesome. It really feels like a vintage guitar.

Wow!! I was looking at a Guitar World video with Larry Dimarzio and his '59. The guy from GW played his 2002 (i think) '59 reissue with the 36th anniversary PAF's. To be honest if you watch it the GW guy he makes reference to the '59 having 50 yrs of old growth mature wood etc and the original '59s blow away the 36th Anniversary PAF.

I'm guessing your 'Pearly Gates' has the same tone at lower volumes as Larry's original '59 with 'New' wood; yours has the 'Something' I hear in the '59:applause::applause:

Every credit to ya, smart move!!! It sounds 'Vintage' :thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbgUMqUMns]YouTube - Guitar World reveiws the new DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary[/ame]

aidb

Reaction score
Your vids show how much you've been inspired by the original pups/pots & caps. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Great playing btw. It takes guts to put yourself out there. :)

I think you've nailed the tone on Heartbreaker...my fave vid also. :applause:

Mr.Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Excuse me? Did you really apologize for your playing in the beginning?
Man I wish I could play like you! Just awesome.
Great tone too! But that should be expected with original PAF's and electronics.

JPP373

Reaction score
Excuse me? Did you really apologize for your playing in the beginning?
Man I wish I could play like you! Just awesome.
Great tone too! But that should be expected with original PAF's and electronics.
:wow:

ghost driver

Reaction score
You are probably one of the few around here that use 8's. Whats the reason for that? A feel thing or a tone thing? Either way its sounds great.
Are you playing on the lead channel or the clean with a pedal?
Keep up the good work.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You are probably one of the few around here that use 8's. Whats the reason for that? A feel thing or a tone thing? Either way its sounds great.
Are you playing on the lead channel or the clean with a pedal?
Keep up the good work.

all of those vids were done on the lead channel. i use 9s on guitars with skinny necks, which this guitar might qualify for. i use 8s on big necked guitars. it makes the transition from big neck to skinny neck in one sitting very smooth.

Sterling # Sound

Reaction score
Man I was expecting this too suck! Fast sloppy playing, 008 strings (!), apologies all around.....then you present us with awesome tone, awesome chops and with what I believe is a guitar that most on this forum will covet.

Keep playing and sharing - no more apologies :)

decoy205

Reaction score
:applause::applause::applause:

I can hear the PAF thing all over this. It's got the sweet but biting highs but still somehow sounds smooth. You've definitely got the TONE!

Your an excellent player. Tighter then most excellent! Thanks.

Lestergain

Reaction score

JA your vids are always fantastic! thanks for sharing, may I ask whats the tonal difference with PAFs between stock pots&cpas and vintage ones ??
Ive tried to buy vintage pots but the 500k ones Ive found were always way too much out of spec (all in the 420-350 range)

Latest Threads