Deluxe Reverb; 2x10 Extension Cabinet; Ohm Question

jgonway

Reaction score
I am looking to try a 2x10 extension cabinet for my SFDR. I am thinking about using 2x10 speakers with a 16 ohm load-- the DR calls for an 8 ohm load. I will unplug the 8 ohm internal speaker when using the extension cab.

I have read that others have given it a 16ohm load and that the DR actually performs better with this speaker load. I am wondering if my MLP brothers are finding the same.

Thanks in advance.

randelli

Reaction score
Mudfinger would be an excellent resource for you as he has an extension cab for his DR. He will probably be around soon - or you could PM him.

jgonway

Reaction score
Mudfinger would be an excellent resource for you as he has an extension cab for his DR. He will probably be around soon - or you could PM him.

thanks, Randelli-- I read Mudfinger's thread and sent him a PM.

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One of the many nice things about old Fender amps is their ability to work with a variety of loads. The OT is optimized for an 8 ohm load, but should easily work with 16, or even 4. You're not likely to cause any damage to your amp as you experiment with different speaker options.

I do hear a difference in the sound and performance of my DR with different loads, and I prefer, all things considered, 8 ohms. Totally a matter of preference, some guys really dig the somewhat tighter and stiffer sound of a 16 ohm load, for example. What you're describing in the OP, could be set up to run at either 16 ohms or 8, for example. Using 10s WILL change the sound of your DR, something you might like, or might not, depending on this and that...

So, I'm curious to know what prompted you to look into this extension cabinet idea. Are you just looking for more stage volume, or wanting to explore some of the sonic differences between 12s and 10s, or...? Depending on what your goal is, different solutions may be more or less effective at getting the sound and feel you want. :thumb:

Do we get to see any pics of your amp? :naughty:

jgonway

Reaction score
Good stuff, mudfinger. Thanks. I am just looking to experiment with both the 2x thing and the 10s.

I have always liked every Pro Reverb (2x12) and Vibroverb (2x10) that I have heard or played through. Some of that difference may be the 6L6 tubes instead of the 2 speaker thing.

When I started reading up on it, it kind of led me to the extension cab thing. All of my amps have 8 ohm taps, so when I stumbled on the idea that the DR may take one to a different sound when paired with a 16 ohm load I had to think on it some more.

Of course I can always switch the wiring back and forth from series to parallel in the cab to achieve either an 8 ohm or a 16 ohm load.

And, yes, I gotta get some pics up.

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love experiments! :dude:

If your results are anything like mine, running your DR through 10s should result in more definition and clarity in the high frequencies. It should also eliminate some of the "sloppy" low frequency response one usually gets from this amp design. If I were to describe the overall effect, I would say that using 10s results in a sound that is more "modern", and more useful for Rock and Blues Rock than a regular DR with the one 12" speaker.

Based on what you've written about why you're up to this, I would suggest a couple of things:

1. Try to snag a cabinet gives you the option of making the backside open, closed, or ported. There are some commercial options out there, usually with 3 panels on the back, which you can remove one at a time to "tune" the cabinet.

2. If you have the option to do so, get one speaker with a ceramic magnet, and the other with an AlNiCo magnet. Just that one difference between two otherwise identical speakers will give you a greater depth of sound onstage, and give your engineer some useful options in the studio.

3. Just because I really like how they work onstage, one of those slant-top 2x12 cabinets, that are like half a 4x12 stack...something to take a close look at, as they will GREATLY increase your amp's apparent volume. :thumb:

You have a drip-edge Silverface, don't you? Groovy. :thumb:

classic

Reaction score
I was on the same path some years ago ...

... and decided for the 2x12 (8 Ohm) cab because they fit the overall sound better than the 10s ... AND the 16 Ohm version!
But ... that's just me.
Making my experiences with the 4x10 blues of my former Blues DeVille the sound was a bit too bright for my taste and perception ...

And ... as mudfinger mentioned already ... the "design" of the back would give you an additional chance in influencing the tone ...
That was my first attempt:

amps5-1.jpg

In the meantime I've got a 3rd panel in the middle with a TT-like oval cut. I'm happy with what I've got.
Pics to come later if you like ...

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think the 2x10 is the ideal setup for a DR. The specific speakers you choose can have an enormous affect on the overall voicing. Choose wisely!

jgonway

Reaction score
Pics to come later if you like ...

I would love to see pics of what you ended up with and whether you ended up using all 3 speakers at once or if that ended up with unbalanced loads to the internal speaker vs. the external cab.

jgonway

Reaction score
I think the 2x10 is the ideal setup for a DR. The specific speakers you choose can have an enormous affect on the overall voicing. Choose wisely!

Don, you thinking more punch at the mids and better low end? The DR has so much sparkle in the highs that I wonder if 2x10 would help balance that with better mids and lows.

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
I've used a 2x12 BF bassman cab for years with my late 67 DR.
Wired at 8 ohms.
Sounds great!

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don, you thinking more punch at the mids and better low end? The DR has so much sparkle in the highs that I wonder if 2x10 would help balance that with better mids and lows.

A Weber 10A150 alnico and a 10F125 ceramic would make a very interesting pairing with a DR. I haven't played with the 10F125, but I would expect it to handle the high freqs with ease. The 10A150 will have serious "thump", and nice compression.

River

Reaction score
A Weber 10A150 alnico and a 10F125 ceramic would make a very interesting pairing with a DR. I haven't played with the 10F125, but I would expect it to handle the high freqs with ease. The 10A150 will have serious "thump", and nice compression.
That's the combo I run my Rude Mood, Greta and Pro Tube Reverb through sometimes. It's delicious.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's the combo I run my Rude Mood, Greta and Pro Tube Reverb through sometimes. It's delicious.

Riv, does the RM use each speaker separately, or are they wired together? Is each speaker tied to one side of the amp? If so, you won't get the balanced blending that the two speakers would produce when paired.

classic

Reaction score
I would love to see pics of what you ended up with and whether you ended up using all 3 speakers at once or if that ended up with unbalanced loads to the internal speaker vs. the external cab.

PICS will come tomorrow after I'll have done some cleaning behind the stuff ... I don't want to disgrace myself ... :Ohno:

But ... why do you ask for "unbalanced loads" ... any reason for that?
I've got an equal sound from all the speakers ...

jgonway

Reaction score
But ... why do you ask for "unbalanced loads" ... any reason for that?
I've got an equal sound from all the speakers ...

by unbalanced, I mean running an 8 ohm internal speaker and a 16 ohm external cabinet (or vice versa), etc.

classic

Reaction score
by unbalanced, I mean running an 8 ohm internal speaker and a 16 ohm external cabinet (or vice versa), etc.

Oh I see ... sorry, obviously I couldn't express myself in an understandable way ... :wave:

I don't run them unbalanced ... the cabs and the internal speaker have identical 8 ohms.
I've tried first with two 16 ohms speakers (Weber Blue Dogs), but wasn't happy with the result, too clear, nearly zero breaking! Then I switched to the "all-8-ohms-solution" - amazing tone at all volumes und just what I was looking for!

I would love to see pics of what you ended up with and whether you ended up using all 3 speakers at once ...

So I went from the two-thirds-open alternative to the ToneTubby version, which is sporting a longish, oval cut ... for letting the speakers breathe by still generating an effective sound pressure.
It's my favourite back for my AlNiCos ...
In the meantime I'm running two ex-cabs at once with my DR ... one with the ToneTubbys, one with the Weber Blue Dogs.
So ... 5 speakers at once! They're providing bass response, balanced mids and a silky, sweet high range.

Ex-Cabsbackweb.jpg

jgonway

Reaction score
Pics of my 1968 DR with drip edge and black lines.:dude:

Attachments

• IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3706.jpg
    IMG_3706.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 29

classic

Reaction score
That's a really sweet SF !
Couldn't read it ... what is written just on the left of the "Amp"?

Latest Threads