Dell or Compaq.......or Acer?

fatb0t

Reaction score
IT is my profession. I've dealt with all brands. Dell is the most affordable, easiest of fix, and customer support will usually help you out 9 times out of 10. I've owned just about every brand. Like I said, Dell is generally most cost effective and reliable.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Macs are fun, but I don't really like the OS. And if you are planning on having kids who play games... Well you know. Also if you are getting a Tower, there are much better cost effective solutions than mac. I would suggest building your own, but the dell you have pointed out seems like a great price.

Jason

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldsteal2
I always build my own, they are as easy to build
as building a stratocaster

Places like Tigerdirect.com have build your own
packages, all you have to do is plug everything together
and turn it on
That's what I do, and it's the way to go if you want a nice case that's easy to upgrade and will basically last you forever. When one component fails, you can easily pop the case off and swap it for a new one. :thumb:

They're really pushing for computers to be "disposable" though, forcing the "consumer" agenda on us... so, unfortunately, you get much more bang for your buck buying a whole new setup from Dell or any of the other companies. OP, the choice is yours, and yours alone.

ZoomZilla

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like Dell. I have not heard bad stuff about HP though either. Acer, nah.

LazyDays

Reaction score
Didn't Acer buy Gateway? I thought I heard that awhile ago. I had a Gateway and would never buy one again so I wouldn't be so sure about Acer. I have two Dell computers, a PC and a laptop. I did have to replace the motherboard on the laptop and it was only a year old or so. I wasn't too thrilled about that. I bought the extended warranty and it was covered under that. I do like Dell but I don't like dealing with call centers in India. And I'll just stop there otherwise I'll get into a rant. :shock::laugh2:

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Asus makes great PC's also
you get more bang for the buck on them
they have the best motherboards also

dynabite

Reaction score
I'd rather wake up in a tub fulla ice with a kidney missing than own a fkn dell, worst POS ever made and support to match.

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
I agree. I've used only Asus motherboards for several years and they've not let me down. Video cards as well.

Check out Newegg.com and Pricewatch.Com also
Ditto on that.

If you are going to choose one of those three, I'd also suggest going with a Dell.

hipofutura

Reaction score

I have to respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague from California.

Gigabyte every time! :naughty:

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague from California.

Gigabyte every time! :naughty:
Check Anandtech's reviews on Asus motherboards. Gigabytes are good boards, especially for overclocking, but do not perform as well overall as Asus boards. You get what you pay for. :D

Redbird

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. I have been checking newegg as well, I bought an MP3
from there. Looks like Dell is the choice of the IT guys, that there says alot. I am surprised about the Acer responses, thought they had a good product. I will check out that Tigerdirect as well.

Thanks!!

Redbird

Reaction score
Ok to all the builders.

You are talking to a complete novice. Did you buy the ready kits or buy piece by piece? I have limited computer knowledge. I know they are fairly simple to put together. Are instructions sent with the kits?

Also,I have no Windows program. My old Compaq is system installed, no disk. 100+ dollars for an operating system?? May have put a dent in the build project.

Builders
Talk to me like I am an computer ignorant.................which I am

dynabite

Reaction score
Looks like Dell is the choice of the IT guys, that there says alot.
It doesn't say shit, I teach IT guys. The ones recommending them are the ones stuck with them. Start with an Asus board as mentioned and build up. If it's too much of a learning curve find a local geek to do it for you. I'll personally recommend an AMD quad core as best bang for the buck and it has the fastest front side bus and that's what counts when interwebbing. Stay the hell away from dell, trust me, they use inferior components.

Redbird

Reaction score
It doesn't say shit, I teach IT guys. The ones recommending them are the ones stuck with them. Start with an Asus board as mentioned and build up. If it's too much of a learning curve find a local geek to do it for you. I'll personally recommend an AMD quad core as best bang for the buck and it has the fastest front side bus and that's what counts when interwebbing. Stay the hell away from dell, trust me, they use inferior components.
:thumb:

That is the answer I wanted!

Really interested in the build road. Do you recommend the tiger or newegg route? As I stated I am a complete novice. I would be relying on reviews for parts. If you get time PM me with a list of the best parts. I appreciate the help!!