Deleted

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Asian guitar builders used some of the same or very similar pickup parts as Gibson in the 70s and 80s. You'll find those T bobbins, same ones with the HPI logo and all, in Arias and others. Metric tapped threads are appropriate for the mounting screws in non-US guitars. You could have a mix of original and non-original parts among the two pickups.

Gray hookup leads are also typical for late 70's / early 80's patent stamp baseplate pickups.

Do you love the sound of THAT pickup compared to other similar T-Tops, or is it just the only late 70's / early 80's T-Top you've heard in that guitar and any other one would do just as well?

If the latter, I wouldn't sink money into a repair. I'd play it until it fails, then replace it. The cost of repairing is greater than the monetary value of the pickup or buying another patent stamp baseplate T-Top, which are still widely available in much better condition.

Albatros1234

Reaction score
I just last week bought a 1970s japanese lp copy, project guitar. I was hoping for humbuckers like the ones in my late 60s univox because I could tell this was a Matsumoku built LP copy which made univox, aria, and many more. When I got it I took it apart and looked at the pickups. One is half of a T-top. I noticed the crusty pat number sticker then flipped over took off the nickel cover and sure enough I have half of a T-top. It is the slug coil not the adjustable p.p. coil that is why I am here I googled T-Top repaired and it led me here.i don't know if I should sell it for a couple bucks to someone who needs one coil a base and a cover or try to resurrect the thing myself. Any advice?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I just last week bought a 1970s japanese lp copy, project guitar. I was hoping for humbuckers like the ones in my late 60s univox because I could tell this was a Matsumoku built LP copy which made univox, aria, and many more. When I got it I took it apart and looked at the pickups. One is half of a T-top. I noticed the crusty pat number sticker then flipped over took off the nickel cover and sure enough I have half of a T-top. It is the slug coil not the adjustable p.p. coil that is why I am here I googled T-Top repaired and it led me here.i don't know if I should sell it for a couple bucks to someone who needs one coil a base and a cover or try to resurrect the thing myself. Any advice?

If it's not a Gibson-made T-Top, and just an Asian-made pickup using a bobbin with the same marking, it's not going to have the value / draw of interest. If the pickup is original to the guitar, best to just leave it with the guitar, as is. Even the most desirable Gibson-made early patent-number-decal T-Tops are not very expensive on the used market and not worth parting out an original guitar over.

Albatros1234

Reaction score
If it's not a Gibson-made T-Top, and just an Asian-made pickup using a bobbin with the same marking, it's not going to have the value / draw of interest. If the pickup is original to the guitar, best to just leave it with the guitar, as is. Even the most desirable Gibson-made early patent-number-decal T-Tops are not very expensive on the used market and not worth parting out an original guitar over.
It is not original to the guitar, I could tell immediately by the butchered electronics and solder job, the pickups don't even match, this one has a Gibson " Patent Number" sticker on it, a rough cast Alnico magnet, that metallic silver fish type lead that Gibson pickups had asa well as a T-Top bobbin. I assume that one coil shorted and someone put it in to make a single coil. The other pickup also appears to have been turned from a h.b. to a single coil as well. No telling when or why but this appears to be half of a vintage Gibson pickup to me.

Latest Threads