Delay Recommendations

ezra1

Reaction score
I have a Wampler Analog Echo delay.
Don't dislike it particularly but is there anything easier to operate that sounds good ?
I play blues,Classic Blues Rock and Stax type stuff nothing too fancy.

Chordhord

Reaction score
I just bought the Source Audio Collider, it’s Delay & Reverb and so simple for an amazing pedal.

OneChosen2

Reaction score
I think the first question to ask is whether or not you want tap tempo. That will narrow things down considerably.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are tons of options with more user friendly controls sets:

TC Electronic Echobrain
TC Electronic Gauss
Ibanez AD9
MXR Carbon Copy

Meatwad

Reaction score
I have the Wampler Faux Tape Echo, and it's great, but I see where it can be finicky to dial in on the fly.

I used a Boss DD-3 for years, and it was great.

You might want to check out a Boss Waza-Craft DM-2W if you want to stay with a more lo-fi analog sound.
I've got one, and it's pretty nice, but it's a whole different flavor.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with AD9!
I’ve never tried one. I have a MIJ AD Delay, but it was from Ibanez’ bargain line. I like that pedal find, but the new Mini is quieter, livelier and doubles the delay time. The only downside might be the mini-knobs on the repeats and blend knobs. They work fine, but are small for seeing the settings.

pillbug

Reaction score
Wampler Faux Tape Echo and TC Alter Ego v2 are a couple of my faves. TC Flashback is also nice and perhaps easier to find than the Alter Ego.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never tried one. I have a MIJ AD Delay, but it was from Ibanez’ bargain line. I like that pedal find, but the new Mini is quieter, livelier and doubles the delay time. The only downside might be the mini-knobs on the repeats and blend knobs. They work fine, but are small for seeing the settings.
I’m looking into one of these base on your recommendation. My old AD9 reissue is long gone but I remember it fondly.

Gibsonblues

Reaction score
I use an older Aqua Puss by Way Huge. Just bought an Echorec but haven’t had a chance to really use that one. I do like the Aqua Puss though...

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own one of these Valeton Delay Modelers:

I bought it for about $30 used because I wanted a Reverse Echo option. The Analog, Tube and Tape are pretty decent but I’m definitely going to look into that Ibanez Mini because it reminds me a lot of the warm repeats from my old AD9. I’d actually like to see if I can get 2 of them so the Valeton can be left setup for Reverse, and I can use an Ibanez Mini each for a short slap back delay and a longer 300 ms type Gilmour delay.

APCosmos

Reaction score
My favorites are the Teisco Delay and Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail.

The Teisco is the only analog delay pedal that I've tried that has virtually no noise in the repeats that I could detect (I've tried ~10 different analog delay pedals). The Teisco is also more lofi (which I think also slightly affects the dry tone, but maybe I'm just imagining it) and wonky, I don't think the modulation can be turned completely off, I sometimes sense a little pitch bend once in a while. These things could be good or bad depending on what you're going for – I for one love the weirdness of it. It also can go extremely long in the delay times (for an analog delay), it's rated at 600ms but I wouldn't be surprised if it was pushing 900ms, but don't quote me on that.

The Vapor Trail is very clear in the repeats for an analog delay and has very little noise, I just wish the delay times went longer, but that's my gripe for most analog delays. Beautiful modulation.

Last edited:

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
For my needs, the humble Marshall Echohead delivers everything I want and could ever need (except for 2 separate delay channels, which my singer wants but I don’t need!).

Small and robust, flexible as hell and super easy to use as a Set and Forget unit, it is brilliant and more than good enough, unless you play in a U2 cover band.

I’ve often thought about replacing it just to buy myself a little end of month treat, but I simply don’t need to.

The only drawback is that it’s quite inexpensive.... a turn off of some Les Paul owners.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I see that 'easier to operate' is your criteria here.
And your needs are fairly basic.

I was playing with this in the store recently . . I liked it . . but didn't buy it.

1621960084929.png

bluesoul

Reaction score
My two favorites:
Skreddy Echo
Diamond memory lane Jr.

Latest Threads