Delay Pedal, what do you guys like?

krauthammer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a Boss DD-3 that just died, and an MXR Carbon Copy.

Looking to replace the Boss, but was hoping to have the replacement be a major upgrade.

Been reading all kinds of reviews from sellers, was hoping to get unbiased opinions from fellow forum members.

So, what do you guys like?

Anyone have any experience with Catalinbread units?

Thanks in advance,

Your Hammer

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Really depends on how crazy you want to get with delay.
I also use Boss DD3. If you want to upgrade look into Waza Craft.
It's a very basic effect which doesn't require 16 different possible effects or multiple hundreds of dollar spent on it.
BP

krauthammer

Reaction score
Wow, looks like the DD-3 is popular.

I've been thinking about grabbing a new one with all the holiday sales coming up, just thought I'd explore other options before doing so.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Boss DD3 and Carbon Copy like the OP and I find those 2 will cover most of the bases when I need them which these days is not often.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
What's your budget?

I have a Carbon Copy Mini on my board and really enjoy it. I like the modulation features. Great bang for the buck.

If you're looking for something with tap tempo, I would suggest JHS Panther Cub or JHS Lucky Cat (previously known as the Pink Panther).

Hope this helps.
-Jay

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
I had a TC Electronics Flashback 2 for a while and was very pleased with it. It did everything I needed and more.
All the "pros" I've spoken with have recommended the Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler Pedal. I've never used it but the folks I know who own it rave about it.
Also depends on whether you want analog or digital.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
What don't you like about the Carbon Copy? It has a nice vintage echo vibe and isn't fussy. I've been happy with mine for a decade.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
I have a Boss DD-7 and a Strymon El Capistan. The reason I upgraded to the Strymon is my amp doesn't have an effects loop and the Boss didn't sound great up front. It was fantastic through the loop though and it's a really cool delay. It has loads of sounds in it and there's also a looper type function too that I enjoyed. I upgraded to the Strymon to run up front and it sounds insane! I absolutely love this delay. The different types of delay on it are amazing and you can make it sound like an old tape delay that has well worn, crinkled up tape in it too. You get these strange little oddball sounds randomly as if the tape is starting to wear out. Sounds very warm and it's unusual. I use that a bit. But I change the type of delay as my mood dictates. Definitely recommend the El Cap.

krauthammer

Reaction score
What's your budget?

I have a Carbon Copy Mini on my board and really enjoy it. I like the modulation features. Great bang for the buck.

If you're looking for something with tap tempo, I would suggest JHS Panther Cub or JHS Lucky Cat (previously known as the Pink Panther).

Hope this helps.
-Jay
Not to sound like a schmuck, but I don't have a budget. What I also don't have, is an understanding of how delay pedals work, and how to get the sound I'm looking for. I've dialed knobs, while on one knee, and listened.

The reason I bought the DD-3 was that I saw that Don Felder used them. Bought mine used, and it died on me.

I'm strictly amateur, figured I'd see if there were a few clear cut winners, and try one. From what guys have posted so far, looks like if I grab another DD-3, I'd do ok.

krauthammer

Reaction score
What don't you like about the Carbon Copy? It has a nice vintage echo vibe and isn't fussy. I've been happy with mine for a decade.
I like it, I just don't understand it, I guess. The other delays I've looked at seem to have numeric settings, whereas the CC just has feel knobs. I come from a Math background, so numbers soothe me ;)

I also have the CC deluxe, which drives me crazy because it's constantly flashing at me. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but until I figure out what, it's very distracting :dunno:

sonar

Reaction score
Are you sure it really died? How did you troubleshoot it?

Travis19

Reaction score
I have an early 90's Maxon AD80, a lovely analog delay pedal
I agree, I love the AD80 pedal and I've been coming back to it for decades. But for now I use two tape echo emulation pedals: Strymon El Capistan and Gurus Echosex 2. They both sound fantastic.

P1015699 - Copy - Copy.JPG

krauthammer

Reaction score
Are you sure it really died? How did you troubleshoot it?
Thanks for asking, here's the deal:

I have a stupid expensive Walrus power supply for my pedal board. I looked up the power requirements for all the pedals, and matched them with the outputs on the Walrus.

My DD-3 worked great for 2 years. Then last week, I hit the foot switch, and nothing. If I held the foot switch down, the red "Check" light would illuminate, but go out when released. The delay didn't work.

Scoured the internet, some guys said a zener diode goes bad, others said the foot switch.

I replaced the foot switch, still doing the same thing.

A knowledgeable electronics guy suggested to swap out a chip ( IC4, if anyone cares ) and I'm looking into that now.

It's awfully tight in that little stomp box to do any soldering. I probably baked it with the Walrus. Boss always says to only use Boss power supplies, but I hate having all of those stupid plugs and was trying to streamline the board.

Last edited:

Bogmonster

Reaction score
Thank you, Strymon wasn't even on my radar, I will give them a look. How would you compare the DD-7 (or even the new DD-8) to the DD-3?
I only ever played the DD-7 so I'm not familiar with the others. But it's still a fantastic delay. As I said, it didn't really work in front of an amp. the Strymon sounds great in front. Strymon is pricey but they are well worth it. Every knob actually has 2 functions so the pedal does so much. There's also a reverb in the secondary settings of the El Cap. I highly recommend it. Definitely worth a look. But it's a feel thing like the CC delay. There's no numbers on the knobs.

All that being said, the Boss units are awesome and I'd still never get rid of mine. They're built like tanks. I've gigged mine and had beer and many things spilled/dropped on it and it keeps on kicking.