Delay Pedal Advice

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in one for the CC....until I have a Strymon or a real Echoplex,the CC fills in for now.I used to have an old Visual Sound H2O that worked pretty good.I traded it for a strat copy for my son.I wouldnt mind having that back,ya know?

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah, i need tap tempo on my delay unit. makes live work so much easier and more natural sounding. any video of my band, you'll see me tapping the delay at some point.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
The CC is a no-brainer, at least as a starting point. They're on pro boards everywhere and work well.
I'd start there and see what (if anything) it doesn't have that you need.

Kalz

Reaction score
It's not analog but for the money it's hard to beat.. I'd look into a BOSS DD5/7 + an external tap, used you can find the combination for 100-120$. Tap is pretty much an essential, for me at least, and then extra long delay time + different delay options is hard to beat. If youre willing to spend the entire 150$ you can get a used DD20 with A LOT of bells and whistles to it and secondary modulation settings to play with.

just my 2 cents.

Flyfish-mt

Reaction score
I have a CC and its a nice pedal but I would recommend an old Ibanez DE-7. The DE-7 is a digital delay but with an echo switch which rolls off just enough high end so it passes as a imitation analog sound and has a massive amount of delay and modulation. The CC sounds a tad bit warmer but the DE-7 is a much more versiltile delay.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
I went with the Carbon Copy, after testing most of the pedals mentioned, it sounded best to my ears. I will say the Maleko 616 was cool, with some modulation, but in the end it was the Carbon Copy that sounded best to me. I even got them to match an online deal, so they tossed in two patch cables, and two cables along with the pedal.

It was really the sound that drew me on, the bells and whistles on other pedals was fun, but I had to trust my ear.

gbroadhurst

Reaction score
I have a Flight Time. Very nice digital delay, airy, present, crystal clean, doesn't get in the way.
With dirt sounds fantastic. You can keep the repeats clean or engage the LPF and HPF to get the analog sounds.
Modulation on the repeats is very nice. It does not have any reverse or other whacky delay types. It does one thing and does it really well.
I also have a Providence Chrono delay, the Flight Time is just a little sweeter.
It is being compared to a TC 2290 but in a size just a little larger than the Strymon small boxes.
I run mine in parallel with the Providence.....:wow:

I missed some info earlier......:shock:
The Flight Time has a realtime BPM analyzer, there is a mic built into the delay and when the analyzer is engaged it listens to the beat and sets the delay time accordingly. It does seem to work jamming to backing tracks on youtube.
So if you're completely lazy and don't want to tap the tempo the delay will do it for you.........:cool:

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i have more fun with digital delays .... yes my ad9 ibanez analog has all that mojo and warm lofi in a good way sound.... but when i wanna get a loop like riff going, digital all the way.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
So I've toyed around at home, and I love this thing. I figured out quickly that the regen knob will make a really....interesting oscillation sound when turned up full. It will also be the kind of thing you want to not do again unless you are planning something odd.

Either way, it's really nice. For all the stuff I said about "Well, versatility would be nice, and that would be nice, and expression pedals, and this and that", well this bad boy is plenty versatile for me. The delay has a great sound, doesn't eat my tone at all, it can be dialed in to add some great ambiance to rhythm (couple with full blast reverb, brilliant), and also nice for hitting those single notes (I'd say when I play lead, but I don't really consider what I do playing lead since I'm just not fast enough yet). It sounded really good either in my FX loop or from guitar to amp (and I have an Orange, they are supposedly bad with pedals). I hooked it to my Octasynth and get some weird delayed 8 bit synth sounds going. Definitely need to explore that a bit further.

I think this thing will actually make me a better player because when I play it, I want to do more than hammer power chords. It's making me want to actually do a lot of different things to explore the sounds I get. Safe to say that this was an absolute home run, couple that with the Cloven Hoof for Christmas and I have two pedals that will probably shape my tone for years to come.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
Absolutely was. It's incredible that this pedal can do more than just the whole "Lots of fun delay", just keeping the delay at a minimum with a good bit of reverb adds some real ambiance to a clean Fender tone. I actually recorded something different than my normal style that sounded cool, kind of a moody sounding deal with the A Minor bar chord shapes.

Oh and two funny stories...from the purchase.

One, a little girl was dancing to my playing when testing out pedals. I may be new at this, but it was still kind of cool.

Two, I turned the regen knob all the way up which turned into a horrific constant oscillation much to the dismay of the GC staff. Haha, oops.

Weldaar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have an old Memory Man analog delay. It also has a chorus feature but I only use the Delay. Very warm sounding and the controls are very sensitive. I like it.

IndySouthPaw

Reaction score
I have just FINISHED (for now hahaha) my 3 year delay quest. I was like you, I never had a delay but wanted one for certain sounds I thought I needed and wanted to play with. Long story short, I found tons of the delays not very musical. Even the ones that are popular and mentioned in this post, I tried and some were cool but didn't inspire me to play. So randomly I fell not the Caitlinbread Echorec. Game over! That pedal inspires me to play differently. I have had it for a few months and I never turn it off. I've written quite a bit of new material around it as well. The only thing differently I would choose is maybe the AlterEgo. I know it may sound too modulated for some and not enough tweak ability in the presets, but for live playing, that little pedal can cover a ton of ground and switching would be simple. I bet I end up with it too. But really check out that Echorec. Inspirational little box

AllTheSound

Reaction score
The Vox Delay Lab might be worth checking out as long as its size is not a issue for you. 30 delay types and amazing versatility. I had one and kinda regret selliing it.

Latest Threads