Delay Pedal Advice

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a delay pedal, I've never had one but I've been checking out demos to get an idea. I'm looking to spend no more than $150, and realistically I'd prefer to not even go that high. I'm looking for long delay times, and modulation is intriguing because I like to experiment. Here's what I have in mind..

1. EHX Memory Boy - Reasonably priced, and there is a good amount of them on the used market if I don't get a new one. It has modulation, and the delay time is 550 ms. This seems to be the most appealing out of everything for features and price. Oh, also has an expression pedal input. Does 550 ms compared to 600 ms make a big difference?

2. MXR Carbon Copy - Seems to be the standard in which delay is measured. I like it, but it's maybe a bit more than I want to pay, though I've seen them used. I like the 600 ms delay time, but no expression pedal input.

3. Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport Jr. - Great sound, long delay, from one of my favorite pedal companies. Pricey at 165, but I saw a used one online for about 100 bucks.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
With analog delays, you'll pay more for longer delay times simply because they have to dump more chips into them to achieve those times. You picked out some tried and true analog delays that would definitely fit the bill but you might also look into some Boss digital delays.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I don't have one. I reach down, twist the knobs, give a quiet whack on the strings so I hear how much there is and we are usually already going with the next song. I don't get hung up over minutia, obviously. I ballpark things and go. If it's a Strat, the tone comes down to about noon. If it's the LP, it goes back up to a little under max. For my generic "I need a delay on lead" tone, I point the big knobs at the light and gets pretty close. Funny that I don't even remember which controls they are. For slapback and doubling, they both go to maybe 9:30-10:00-ish, with room to fudge, and the blend gets turned up a bit.
I just don't have time to really dial in like I'd like to. I've actually gotten pretty comfortable with the controls, seeing as how I hated delay less than a year ago, and only got one because MLP convinced me that every board needs one. :)

Reaction score
I don't have one. I reach down, twist the knobs, give a quiet whack on the strings so I hear how much there is and we are usually already going with the next song. I don't get hung up over minutia, obviously. I ballpark things and go. If it's a Strat, the tone comes down to about noon. If it's the LP, it goes back up to a little under max. For my generic "I need a delay on lead" tone, I point the big knobs at the light and gets pretty close. Funny that I don't even remember which controls they are. For slapback and doubling, they both go to maybe 9:30-10:00-ish, with room to fudge, and the blend gets turned up a bit.
I just don't have time to really dial in like I'd like to. I've actually gotten pretty comfortable with the controls, seeing as how I hated delay less than a year ago, and only got one because MLP convinced me that every board needs one. :)

oh i remember your journey and even think i mentioned you goin the echo puss direction, but sometimes i get great delay and other times im just butcherin the setting's..

but fair enough just gotta quit being a panzy and twist them knobbies a bit more!

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
OP, for longer delay times and experimentation, I would NOT recommend that you start from an analog delay pedal. As Rich pointed out, a digital delay pedal cqn provide what you're looking for and help you experiment with various delay sounds.

Question: do you need tap-tempo or not? Check out the offerings from Boss, Hardwire Dl-8, and the Flashback series from TC. Go fro there. If you can find a used TC Nova Repeater, which has been discontinued, you will grab the best deal on delay pedals in the 100$ price range.

Good luck and let us know what you ended up with.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
I don't know much about tap tempo so I'd say I don't require it. I did look at the TC delays, nice stuff, looks like a lot can be done with them. My friend suggested them, he has a one of their reverbs and loves it.

I found another one that intrigued me, two actually. The Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail and Red Witch Violetta Delay. The Red Witch is really nicely priced (119 new), seems to have a good amount of versatility, and has good reviews.

Part of me is shying away from the crazy Memory Boy stuff because do I want to get a delay, or some whacky multi effect? I don't know, but I maybe shouldn't get something overly complicated for delay.

Here's something interesting, musictoyz has the deluxe memory boy for the same as the stripped down memory boy. Normally the deluxe memory boy is a bit above 200, but they have it listed at 139....wonder if that's a typo, still hard to not try and take advantage of that deal.

Should note that there is a great chance I end up with the Boss. I'm going to guitar center tomorrow to mess around with stuff with my old man, and they most definitely have Boss's in stock. If I like what I hear, it'd be hard not to just go with that knowing it's a proven commodity (or proven that I like the sound. The trick will be testing it on my exact amp, or something very close to it).

NJDevil

Reaction score
Considering the price point, the El Capistan is out of the question but get the Carbon Copy and be done with it. It's a great delay pedal.

Stuff

Reaction score
I can also recommend the Carbon Copy. I picked one up recently, and thought it was the warmest sounding of all the delay pedals in the shop that day.

I also tried the TC Electronics Flashback - which sounded good too - and a couple of the Way Huge delay pedals. The Way Huge pedals seemed to prefer Strats to LPs, and I struggled to dial in a sound I liked with either of them.

James R

Reaction score
TC Electronics Flashback X4.
You can find them used in your price range.
I'll never need another delay, it's got me covered.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the deluxe memory boy's repeats are VERY dark. quite unlike the memory man.

Nothing wrong with a Boss delay, or the CC.

Or quite a lot of delays, actually.

i like delay.

i need another delay pedal.

:shock:

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
I'll go onto the beaten path here by suggesting a Boss. I have a DD3 and it is a competent pedal, especially for the price. If you're only going to have one, consider digital over analog.

That said, my 'always on' delay is a deluxe memory boy. It's used with about a 200 ms slapback with 1 and a half repeats. It's very warm sounding. Some might call it dark. :cool: I stopped using reverb when I got it.

gbroadhurst

Reaction score
How about this one Snare, i love Bretts demos :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSq341sry4

I have a Flight Time. Very nice digital delay, airy, present, crystal clean, doesn't get in the way.
With dirt sounds fantastic. You can keep the repeats clean or engage the LPF and HPF to get the analog sounds.
Modulation on the repeats is very nice. It does not have any reverse or other whacky delay types. It does one thing and does it really well.
I also have a Providence Chrono delay, the Flight Time is just a little sweeter.
It is being compared to a TC 2290 but in a size just a little larger than the Strymon small boxes.
I run mine in parallel with the Providence.....:wow:

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
I don't know much about tap tempo so I'd say I don't require it.

Tap tempo is simply a function (footswitch on the delay) so that you can tap your foot to the tempo of the song so that the repeats/echos match up with the tempo of the song you're playing. The other guitar player in my band uses tap temp with really good results.

But, it depends on what you're into. I have a plain old analog delay pedal on my board that I have set to a loud slapback type of echo that works well for the two songs in which I use delay - heck, I have it run in between my guitar and amp and the amp is where I get all my overdrive/distortion which is not how most people use or like delay placed. :laugh2: All I'm going for is a sick, overwhelming echo, nothing really natural about it so that works for me.

If you want something more natural sounding that blends into the song rather than as a big effect, tap tempo can be a really great feature to help you get there.

Latest Threads