Defending Gibson

LP Bob

Reaction score
Well this would be such a great post, if the thread was titled "Why I like Gibson better than PRS" but as it's not, not so much...

Perhaps you should start a new thread about how much better Gibson is than PRS, that'd be original and unexplored on MLP. :thumb:

My point was that Gibson's QC isn't as good as USA PRS's (quite on topic), but that the LP tone is worth it. Chill out.

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
This has been said a few times... The change in music tastes... I say this, it won't be long before a new Page or Hendrix or Clapton comes along and creates a whole new love for screaming guitars. Just a matter of time is all.

I worry for Gibson because while i agree with you, No-one i see who'se a young player or is playing in a small time band is using their stuff. Why when you can get Fender or Asian gear for cheaper and with great quality. They need to improve QC on the bottom line models, because if they don't, in 10 years they'll find very few people will be playing their gear.

The assumptions we make young are imortant, and if young musicians come to see Gibson as overpriced with poor QC, they wont buy them young or old. It's hard to change habit. And if that happens, our next Guitar Hero will be slinging a Fender as an axe of choice, and Gibson will pay through the nose for complacency now.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
A final customer should never see these type of issues. Why? because a proper Gibson dealership wouldn't sell a guitar like that. A discount house with no customer service will.

If you read the other threads about QC, you would have seen my posts explaining this in detail. A good example is the Steinway piano. The preparation required before they were delivered to the final customer was intense....from working the finish on the piano, to voicing the hammers and anything else the techs see that isn't up to the standards that Steinway has set for it's dealers.

So was this an issue with Steinway QC? No, not at all. It's just the nature of the beast...much like a premium electric guitar. It has to be inspected and prep'd by a competent person BEFORE being sold to the end user. Gibson can be faulted for allowing crappy stores to sell their gear, but don't jump to the conclusion that Gibsons QC has suddenly gone to pot...no, what has happened is the advent of these big-box stores, and the online purchasers.

If anything, Gibson needs to be more picky as to who they allow to sell their guitars. The 7-8 years I spent working at our Ottawa Gibson dealership, I can say we never sold a Gibson in the condition you describe. Yes, we shipped some back to Gibson but that's part of the business.

I understand your disappointment but just take into account the changing market and the lack of customer service we now experience.

I will only add that when you order something online without ever seeing or playing. Don't expect it to be flawless. In the negotiating and purchasing process, you point out what you'd like to see done regarding your new guitar and the Dealer makes the final tweaks. Eliminate that segment of the equation and you get what you get. YOU chose that. imho of course imho ;) That is the definition of purchasing based on price. You wanted the lowest price. You got what you wanted. Don't whine about it.

I'm the head QC guy for all items coming into my house and I'm doing a good job so far! I'm not perfect though.

upl8tr

Reaction score
My point was that Gibson's QC isn't as good as USA PRS's (quite on topic), but that the LP tone is worth it. Chill out.

Oh, I'm chilled okay. I'm just bored with the never-ending unsolicited Gibson=Good PRS=Bad nonsense. I get it, it's MLP a place full of LP enthusiasts, thing is do you get it?

If so your post would have been 1/3 as wordy as what it was and wouldn't have included the unnecessary PRS put down.

upl8tr

Reaction score
Gibson's QC may not be as consistent as USA PRS's (many LP's have badly cut nuts from the factory), but the Gibson's tone is just plain better IMO. I have a USA PRS 1992 CE-24, a great axe no doubt, but my Gibson Trad Pro is the go-to axe when I need the extra tone. Whether it's through a Marshall, a processor, etc, the LP's are bigger sounding without cluttering a mix, but also more dynamic and articulate when using a soft touch. Then when you hammer a power chord it jumps out at you like none of my other guitars do. The 57/BB3 combo is seriously dynamic and versatile, plus it growls and crunches like only a LP can. I was a PRS guy for 20 years and thought Gibson was overhyped until I played the Trad Pro...then I realized why Jimmy Page never parts with his!

Bit too slow with your editing bob. :thumb:

And I wouldn't say that Jimmy never parts with his LP.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RcLoQnHhso]Page & Plant - Walking Into Clarksdale (Bizarre Festival) - YouTube[/ame]

jlb32

Reaction score
Almost everytime I read through the forums someone (including myself in the past) has been complaining about Gibson QC. And everytime I read these stories there is a ton of comments from other members acting like the OP is a dumbass for complaining. In my opinion, if I pay thousands of dollars for a guitar, there should be nothing wrong with it at all. It should look flawless, and it should play flawless. I shouldn't have to go get the frets dressed immediatly, I shouldnt have to go get the nut cut properly. Why do so many of you defend this crap they are selling you? Because of the name "Gibson" and all the great players who have used them?

I think everyone knows Gibson has some QC issues but so does every company. Wether Gibson is truly worse IMO depends on who you talk to.

People that have never had any issues with their Gibsons obviously aren't going to be complaining about QC issues. Those that have had issues will obviously be more likely to complain about QC issues. It's like that with every product made though IMO.

IMO Gibson isn't selling you anything. If someone buys a Gibson it's by their own free will.

They also have warranties and return policies. If you buy one and it's not to your liking, damaged, etc.. it's very easy to return, get a refund or have the issue corrected.

If you think their price tag or QC issues are something you can't deal with then the solution is not to buy and choose another guitar that suits you.

That's just my opinion and how I've always dealt with Gibson or any other companies QC issues.

LP Bob

Reaction score

ACELUEK

ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw this tour, it was incredible. Jimmy played lots of guitars, tele's, strats (For Your Life), Danelectro's, etc in his day, and a PRS for WIC in 1998. But he always goes back to the LP.

Jimmy is a smart man..

Burst Boy

Reaction score
I have very limited experience with purchasing Gibson but I have learnt over the years from many guitar purchases both over the Internet and in music stores:

- If buying in a music store It&#8217;s my responsibility to accept QC issues or not. If acceptable I will purchase outright or negotiate some form of compensation.

- If buying on-line I&#8217;m responsible to accept the risk of the purchase of a possibly flawed guitar.

I&#8217;ve never purchased a flawed guitar from a music shop because I take my time to do a thorough inspection and play them for a good while before dropping the coin (Except in my very early days, a plinky acoustic with a warped neck and an ES335 copy with a neck that moved in the neck pocket. I learnt a lot from these experiences).

So far with on-line purchases I have been extremely lucky. This is a risk I&#8217;m willing to take and only have been disappointed once (with a Squire- at the price point I accepted the problems and moved on).

As a side note I have purchased two LP Studios over the Internet. Both are flawless and didn&#8217;t even need a set-up.

I have purchased an SG Standard and LP Trad from a local distributor and they are perfect, never had to set them up either.

As a matter of course, when visiting the local retailer I pay particular attention to Gibsons because of the large amount of QC issues, posted on Forums such as this, keeps me interested. I can say (without playing them all) I&#8217;m yet to find anything that I would consider a quality issue. I&#8217;m anal too and love a quality guitar.

There is QC responsibility at all levels, but it stops at the purchaser.

drmattyg

Reaction score
Only issue I've had with a Gibson is a a small crack in the neck of my Nighthawk. No big deal though, an easy/cheap fix. I have played the hell out of it since then with no issues.

upl8tr

Reaction score
Jimmy is a smart man..

I don't know about being smart but I'd go as far as to say that only a mug would limit himself to using one type of instrument when he had the option of using others that offer different tones and features.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I see this is back up.
I don't know if I posted in it the first time,
But I've still never had a problem with the big G.

Latest Threads