Decked tailpiece height

__tedd

Reaction score
Hi gang,

Not a thread to debate top-wrapping - I do it because Billy does it and that's enough for me :cool2::cool2:

Is this normally how it looks though? My tailpiece is as low as it can possibly go and it's not exactly hard up against the body like others make out they have it.

IMG_2209.JPG

__tedd

Reaction score
Good to Go...still need a Bigsby though
I had a Floyd when I was a kid and a Strat for awhile too - if there is one thing I've learnt about floating trems it is that they're a lot of work and I never use 'em!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
It's fine. You have an adequate break angle and that's all that matters.

I tried top wrapping once. Didn't make a hill of beans difference. I never did it again.

On some of my guitars I use a Gibson TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece. The guitars still sustain very well.

__tedd

Reaction score
I tried top wrapping once. Didn't make a hill of beans difference. I never did it again.
I've found top-wrapping to have a measurable effect on an instruments voodoo, which as we all know, directly correlates to mojo. I've never tried a TP6, but that looks like it might actually have a negative impact on voodoo :shock:

__tedd

Reaction score
Should I start a new thread for Bigsby and wrap-around bridge pics? I was really just concerned if the angle on mine was "right" for top-wrapping a Tune-o-matic..

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
I try not to top wrap, but I do have one or two LPs where I do. On this particular one, in order to get the strings not to touch the back of the bridge, I had to raise the tailpiece higher than the knobs, which was just plain silly. So just top wrapped instead.

IMHO the only plus side - esp since I use d'addarios - is that i get to see the rainbow ball ends. reminds me of skittles.

20220426_105051-jpg.605225

AJK1

Reaction score
Billy Gibbons and Jimmy Page are my fave guitarists of all time and I know they top wrap a couple of their guitars but I’ve tried it and didn’t like it at all
I now own 5 LP’s and they all play and sound great with the traditional setup so that’s all that counts
I see guitars top wrapped and think it’s a bit wanky actually but if people like it so be it

AJK1

Reaction score
What am I looking at?
Where’s the bigsby?

Here’s how it should look :h5:

View attachment 610829
I own a 6120 Gretsch with a Bigsby and play mostly Rockabilly type stuff on it and the trem works well for that, but what music do you play on your LP’s with Bigsby’s ? , Led Zep covers of Eddie Cochrane ?

__tedd

Reaction score
I see guitars top wrapped and think it’s a bit wanky actually but if people like it so be it
Of course it looks wanky, guitar players are all wankers. That's why you never seen bass players top-wrapping!

__tedd

Reaction score
In all seriousness though:
Not a thread to debate top-wrapping - I do it because Billy does it and that's enough for me :cool2::cool2:
Please start a new thread if you want to have this discussion. I really, truly, honestly just wanted to know if other top-wrappers have this 10 degree angle on their tailpiece or if I haven't done something right.

AJK1

Reaction score
Just deck the tailpiece and feed the strings through the tailpiece normally
And close your eyes and play
You won’t notice any difference
Practice cures most tone issues !

HappyFingers

Reaction score
My LP the tailpiece is decked, strung normally, and the strings still clear the rear of the bridge. My SG on the other hand if strung normally I have to raise the tailpiece up until 3-4 threads are showing on the studs for the strings to clear the rear of the bridge. So, the SG gets the tailpiece decked and top wrapped. I don’t know if it really makes the SG play or sound any differently, but it looks badass, and that adds super extra special magic mojo.

Latest Threads