Decisions on my next MIJ Les Paul

Greco

Reaction score
So recently I have decided to go for another MIJ singlecut as my current Greco (which many know for my being infamous about identifying it) is great but will need a touch up of the poly on the headstock over the tail of the G in the Greco logo as it is missing. I have two choices and I dare say they are two opposite ends of the spectrum. Both sellers are not in the US and will not negotiate on the prices of these guitars. So lets start shall we.

This is what I have decided to be a guitar I would modify a bit. I would pull the humbuckers and replace them with a Seymour Duncan Slash signature set with double cream bobbins and I would replace the pickup rings as they seem warped. Issue is that all can add up and finding replacement plastics for an MIJ guitar can be difficult if you live in the states like myself.

Now this guitar is simply for the condition and the uniqueness of it. It is overly expensive and for that money I can buy a used Custom shop Gibson. However, I am drawn to the pickup combination in the guitar and the fact it is in nearly mint condition. I already have a Greco but its from 1976 and heavily modified by the original seller. This guitar is from the Super Real series and is in excellent condition.

I am unsure of what to choose as both look amazing but as I say from two different sides of the spectrum. I am open to everyone's opinion on this but try to avoid outright saying im stupid. Im well aware most think this is a no brainer but I don't think that all the time. Thanks for looking and commenting.

P.S. If anything seems wrong with either guitar, dont hesitate to say something. I always wanna know what I may be getting into!

Greco

Reaction score
Everyone should try an EGF1200, but not at that price...
It’s just a damn shame that it’s the only lefty. That’s probably why it’s so expensive. I really love the look too and it just hurts.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I'd probably go for the 82 Greco. However most '82 grecos are mint collection series.

Roxy13

Reaction score
What is the usual selling price of a 1200 these days though? This one is missing one of the Zs though.

Greco

Reaction score
What is the usual selling price of a 1200 these days though? This one is missing one of the Zs though.
As it was a left handed guitar special order, it may not have had a second Z pickup in the first place. This may have been what the customer wanted. I wonder if it’s a different price in Japan and this is only a US price.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Not sure about that. Maxon made the pickups for Greco initially as you know. The Dry 82 is made by Fujigen after Maxon sold them their pickup business. It seems more likely to me that someone replaced one of the Zs (or one of the Drys) later.

Greco

Reaction score
Not sure about that. Maxon made the pickups for Greco initially as you know. The Dry 82 is made by Fujigen after Maxon sold them their pickup business. It seems more likely to me that someone replaced one of the Zs (or one of the Drys) later.
If that is the case, I can’t restore the bridge to a dry z as they are wicked expensive. Either way, the seller refuses to take offers. It’s just a bad situation. It’s also rare.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Being an 82 there is a more likely chance that it came with the Dry 82s originally and someone managed to get a Z to put in it.

I just don't know what the going rate right now on 1200s is. We all watched an 1800 sell for over a million yen on the auctions a couple of months ago and I found another one that did as well a few years ago. People are running up prices on these SR Grecos! That price might not be unreasonable right now, unfortunately.

Greco

Reaction score
Being an 82 there is a more likely chance that it came with the Dry 82s originally and someone managed to get a Z to put in it.

I just don't know what the going rate right now on 1200s is. We all watched an 1800 sell for over a million yen on the auctions a couple of months ago and I found another one that did as well a few years ago. People are running up prices on these SR Grecos! That price might not be unreasonable right now, unfortunately.
Ok so the Greco may be worth what they are asking. what about the Orville? The Orville looks like an AFD Les Paul but I don’t wanna copy it directly. The inlays do worry me but I also don’t know how it will compare to the thinner neck my Greco has (thinner than 60s at the headstock but thicker near the body) Also, it’s a shame cause I’d love a Dry Z bridge pickup but sadly no one has one and when they usually do they are expensive. Maybe Wulf has a spare lying around he may be able to sell me haha.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Ok so the Greco may be worth what they are asking. what about the Orville? The Orville looks like an AFD Les Paul but I don’t wanna copy it directly. The inlays do worry me but I also don’t know how it will compare to the thinner neck my Greco has (thinner than 60s at the headstock but thicker near the body) Also, it’s a shame cause I’d love a Dry Z bridge pickup but sadly no one has one and when they usually do they are expensive. Maybe Wulf has a spare lying around he may be able to sell me haha.

I don't know anywhere near enough on Orvilles as many others here. Some are made by Fujigen like most Grecos and some are made by Terada. I do not own any Terada made guitars to my knowledge and have only seen one in person that another member here brought over. That one was an ObG 59 reissue.

So the Orville/ObG people here need to comment on that for you.

I do have both Zs and Dry pickups and both are great. I'll give the nod to the Zs but I really like the set of Drys I have too. As for bridge and neck my sets both read nearly identical on resistance between the neck and bridge pups. If you wanted another Z I don't think it would matter if it was a N or B one.

Greco

Reaction score
I would definitely ask for better cavity pics and also ask the seller to confirm solid top vs veneer. I say this because the top looks very much like my 59R Lemon OBG and it is veneer. Also confirm 1 or 2 pc back while you're at it to clear up any ambiguity.
I’ll ask but the seller may take a while to respond. Anything else you guys know about the guitars or how they usually sound.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
What about something like this with p90s ?

Greco

Reaction score
What about something like this with p90s ?
So I have a gold top already. No need for another. As for P90s, maybe something like a special but not in TV Yellow.

alainguitars

Reaction score
No way would I purchase an LP style guitar where the bridge sits that high off the body. Greco comment.

Greco

Reaction score
No way would I purchase an LP style guitar where the bridge sits that high off the body. Greco comment.
Do we think it’s a bad bridge or something is off with the set up? If it can be adjusted then it shouldn’t be an issue right?

Roxy13

Reaction score
No, it's normal on Grecos. It has to do with the neck angle. Either raise the TP or top wrap if you are worried about the bridge sagging.

Greco

Reaction score
No, it's normal on Grecos. It has to do with the neck angle. Either raise the TP or top wrap if you are worried about the bridge sagging.
So it’s ok and perfectly fine? In that case, good.

Roxy13

Reaction score
From what I can see of it it does not look abnormal to me compared to all the Grecos I've had. And of course the action might be set higher than you want it right now.

Greco

Reaction score
From what I can see of it it does not look abnormal to me compared to all the Grecos I've had. And of course the action might be set higher than you want it right now.
Cool, I would hate if a rare guitar like this was gonna be an issue in the future. I’m still considering it but if this goes the way I want it I’ll have my second MIJ guitar and just another guitar to jam with.

Latest Threads