Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Keep looking

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 1970 Monte Carlo

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

C Squared

Reaction score
So, I've always wanted a blue Les Paul, and for the last two years for some reason I've wanted a guitar with a Floyd. The Skolnick LTD popped up available, decent price, and in Theory could have possibly fulfilled two in one. When it arrived, I wasn't in love. It's a nice guitar, has a full chunky neck, about the feel of a Les Paul with a smoothed heel. But the control layout sucks, and unless you angle it in the light it basically looks black. Started looking for other options, many of which have slimmer 42 mm nut width which don't work for me, I already know this. So the Dean Cadi shows up on the radar as maybe in an option. Played a Cadillac years ago and loved the way it hung when playing and the way it falls into your lap while sitting and practicing or noodling. 43mm nut, ebony board, ideal control layout, and definitely BLUE. The Dean is a little slimmer, the neck has a slight V profile that over time I'm not sure if I'll like, but just looks cool as hell, though the headstock is the size of Andre the Giant. After playing and comparing for a few days I can note the following:

The frets on the LTD are the size of railroad tracks, the Dean Medium Jumbos, which I prefer

The Control layout on the Dean is much easier to navigate, BUT, in theory this is to scratch the itch of having an 80s shred guitar, so will I even care?

The LTD is 9.5 lbs, the dean is just under 8

The Dean (for me) wins the color battle. In most light the LTD looks black, sadly

The Dean has better pickups. I don't love either set, but definitely have never been a fan of the JB and 59

Though a tad chunky, I prefer the neck profile of the LTD over the Dean. The shoulders are between a V and a C, and the V carve that kicks in around the 6th or 7th fret I may grow to loathe over time. Not sure. the LTD has more of a U shaped shoulder, which I definitely prefer and its a profile that my hands are used to. (BTW, I'm old and have Lupus, neck shape and comfort is huge for me)

Now comes the big problem: Overall tone. The LTD seems to have have a naturally scooped mids. Unplugged it sounds hollow in the middle. There is some initial chime, but it quickly bleeds off and as notes and chords ring it sounds like your listening through a blanket. Fresh strings might help? Different springs might help?

The Dean had a very defined attack, but quickly looses the bottom end and sounds thin unplugged. Not as bad plugged in, but it doesn't blossom as it sustains, that's for sure. Again, Strings, Springs, or maybe a sustain block?

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with locking trems. They aggrivated me years ago when I used to like to go between standard or Eb tuning, let along open tunings. So I stuck with fixed bridges and never looked back. Late midlife crisis has me wanting a Floyd, and either of these is cheaper than a 1970 Monte Carlo. If I could I'd just look for an Alex Lifeson Axcess but out of my $$$$ right now.
g both.jpg
g both.jpg
g alex.jpg
g alex 2.jpg
g dean.jpg
g dean 2.jpg

LP1865

Reaction score
Id sell of both, look elsewhere, probably other LTDs or an ESP.
Or something from LtDave

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Keep looking. The LTD's in general have the most annoying feeling tall frets ever, and I'm sorry, the Dean is just fugly. I mean professionally fugly.

C Squared

Reaction score
Keep looking. The LTD's in general have the most annoying feeling tall frets ever, and I'm sorry, the Dean is just fugly. I mean professionally fugly.
The Cadi shape is the bastard child of an Explorer that had one last hatef*ck with a LP before the split up.

I've always liked it, but I've always liked explorers and LPs. This body shape is seriously one of the most comfortable and seriously highlights the best of both. Great upper fret reach and balance of the explorer with the control layout and bottom curves of a Les Paul. Plus it just screams 80's aqua net groupies

C Squared

Reaction score
Id sell of both, look elsewhere, probably other LTDs or an ESP.
Or something from LtDave
Problem with most LTDs, Schecters, etc most have an R2 42 mm nut. No Thanks. The Ibanez folks usually will have a 43mm, but they also mostly have superstrats and again, no thanks. There is a new Explorer from Epi coming up with a 44mm, that may be an option.

LP1865

Reaction score
Make a custom ESP USA guitar. 42mm, neck through, floyd with emgs.
Or buy a standard non-floyd LTD, and add a Floyd Rose FRX to it

Last edited:

C Squared

Reaction score
Make a custom ESP USA guitar. 42mm, neck through, floyd with emgs.
Or buy a standard non-floyd LTD, and add a Floyd Rose FRX to it
Sure if you're paying for it. For the cost I'd just go with a Lifeson Axcess and know I'd be happy.

As previously stated NO to 42mm nut width, Which is why I went with the Skolnick and Dean which both have 43

C Squared

Reaction score
So I really would have preferred to keep the Dean. I know not everyone's flavor but I appreciated what it offered and what I was looking for (an abnoxious 80s shred guitar). BUT when I would come home from work and play unplugged I started noticing an odd sound when using the bar. Wasn't spring related overtones, sounded like something scraping. After about 20 minutes I noticed the headstock flapping forward and backwards in relation to how the trem was being worked

So the Skolnick is getting a setup and new pickups this week

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

5dee9e922cdb0731af81fb83_RH_TURQFM_main-p-1080.png

Latest Threads