Decent but inexpensive single coil pick ups for Stratocaster copy?

Dark Horse

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an old no brand name Stratocaster copy and I have been thinking about putting new pick ups in it as the ones they currently have are shot. Any advice on decent but cheap ones? I was thinking Wilkinson's?

Single coil picks preferred. Thanks.

Tubejockey

Reaction score
As an alternative to traditional styles, i have been very impressed with the GFS metal foils i put in my tele. Get em while they're cheap.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
errrrr... he said CHEAP :p

A few years ago, I put a set of SSA12 by Artec (Korea) in my strat copy. AliExpress $30 lol They sound great!
Set them down close to the pickguard and a bit higher on the treble side.

"The Artec SSA12 single coil pickups are for Stratocaster style guitars. Featuring staggered pole pickup pieces, they are designed to emulate Fender's classic 60's American Strat pickups, with clear chime-y tones and authentic vintage sound. Made with staggered Alnico V magnets, fibre-board bobbins and braided hookup wire. Reverse wound and reverse polarity Middle pickup for hum cancelling"

Available on eBay $32.99

judson

Reaction score
you made a good decision to spend money on the pups on your old copy strat as oppose to spending money chasing guitars for sound...also consider changing pots and caps to experiment a bit.

i would go with a used Seymour Duncan for about $40-50 if you wait for one.

spend the money on just one quality instead of a set, to try it and see if its what your looking for in sound.

i will agree there are some great lower priced pups as well as posts here suggested

good luck with your tone chasing...fair warning...this wont be the first pickup you buy!

and welcome to MLP :h5:

Last edited:

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
you made a good decision to spend money on the pups on your old copy strat as oppose to spending money chasing guitars for sound...also consider changing pots and caps to experiment a bit.

i would go with a used Seymour Duncan for about $40-50 if you wait for one.

spend the money on just one quality instead of a set, to try it and see if its what your looking for in sound.

i will agree there are some great lower priced pups as well as posts here suggested

good luck with your tone chasing...fair warning...this wont be the first pickup you buy!

and welcome to MLP :h5:
Youve covered just what I forgot to say. When I installed the pups, I gutted the pickguard and replaced the pots, switch and caps as well using cloth pushback wiring. The tone pots are no-load N and B, with the Middle open. 50s wiring. Altogether spent about $60 including the pups. The difference in sound is off the charts :dude:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
My Fender Tex-Mex set was $60, about ten years ago. The neck pup has a gorgeous clean tone. I’m not a big fan of the Strat single-bridge, but this one it thick enough sounding to push some nice distortion.

jbash

Reaction score
I had a set of those GFS 70s greybottoms that came in vintage style partscaster I purchased around 2K7. I swapped them out not long after for some really good pups (Fralins), and really there was no comparison to those high end pickups, but the GFS were decent.. Unsure how good they are today. I'd probably just try to get a used set of Fender CS69s, or similar.

Antigua

Reaction score

Latest Threads