Debating "imperfections"

PauloQS

Reaction score
One reputable guitar dealer, not several. One that, for instance got wrong one the specs of the THR10II back when I got my THR30ii. That mentioned that the for the first time the Les Paul Studio either 2018 or 2019 (previous leadership era) model was coming with a hard case, when in 2017 and 2016 the studio were already coming with hard cases. They were probably confused with the faded models. These are just two minor mistakes they made that I think of off the top of my head. They’re not bad dealers for making those mistakes. I’m just pointing those out to illustrate that they are not infallible. No one is.

I have nothing against USA models. I own a few myself and play it a lot. The reason I don’t believe a long tenon guitar cannot come out of the factory in 2018 had nothing to do with my views on guitar. You see, I’m an economist, and from an economic perspective it would be the stupidest beyond idiotic decision to have all your guitars made a certain way and randomly use a different process for some Slash. In a year they were already facing financial challenges. They’d be better off burning money.

Forget about the bloody tenon. Can you take a picture akin to the one below?

redcoats1976

Reaction score
The rules seem to be as follows:

A handmade Gibson guitar should have absolutely no traces of it being a handmade instrument on its body. Otherwise it's worthless...

But if it has "aesthetically pleasing imperfections" created by the Custom Shop or a company like Historic Makeovers then it's amazing & worth several times more....

In fact, paying a company like Historic Makeovers several grand to make your handmade Gibson guitar look even more handmade increases its value because making your modern Gibson resemble a yesteryear Gibson (& one musicians universally detested back in the day) is "perfection"...

But if ANY Les Paul emerges from Gibson's factory with a speckle on its binding then it's ruined. Even if it's the best playing & sounding guitar you've ever had...

Surely, SURELY, you can all appreciate how insane this is?

& why isn't anyone freaking out when doctors/lawyers/bankers/yuppie types who collect Gibson guitars behave this way? I mean, look at how crazy they are. They're legitimately mental. Like, totally spaztarded!

Can we safely trust these lunatics with our lives? Our money? Our legal matters?!? What if they decide that WE are imperfect! Then what? OMG

Gentleman, a line needs to be drawn.
the worst thing is you make some valid points.i guess im not as picky as some folks because im actually happy with my low end gibby tribute GT,in fact i have 12 guitars that i paid less than a grand each for and im satisfied with all of them.what am i doing wrong?

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Hells yeah it is, my Ibanez was hand crafted in Japan by Togo himself, just before he tried to off himself. I used the same time machine from the plain/gold top thread.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love cheap guitars.... and for the most part the audience doesn’t have a clue that a guitar can cost more than hundred bucks....especially if the only guitar they have ever seen for sale is at Wal-Mart.... so I have spent $1000s of dollars on high end guitars,.. some look beat to shit.... but I still cherish my MIJs....and Historics just the same.

0777EB6A-1C18-4CCA-8DDB-0D2F83FEDD3B.jpeg

46E2948B-8816-4BBB-8096-FD3B9C9655C8.jpeg

8683EE90-651E-4911-A204-FBA6DB0A9BA1.jpeg

With all their “imperfections”

pondcaster

Reaction score
That's right your majesty. See your highness, I'm not one of your subjects & I'm not gonna negotiate with your sense of entitlement or your bratty demands. If you want me to ruin my strings & waste around 45 minutes of my day dismantling a guitar you're gonna have to pay. $100 bucks set up fee, otherwise you're gonna have to wait until I decide to do it. I have that freedom. I have that right. Deal with it or seethe
That’s either the funniest post of 2021 or the downright saddest.

Hilarious and/or pitiful.

Master class comedy vs unfortunate mental illness.

Would make a nice poll? Or sad poll?

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad used to tell about a guy who was a big bullshitter . This guy would brag about this great horse he just bought. Now this horse had the most famous bloodline for beauty, strength and brains.
Everyday he would tell everyone within earshot about this magnificent beast and it’s latest amazing feats. The stories would grow more impressive by the hour and more unbelievable.

The problem was, everyone knew this guy was the biggest bullshitter around. There were those that were uninitiated from not having met the guy before and not knowing his proclivity of stretching, then breaking the truth that started to doubt his even owning the horse.

Everyone knew this horse did not exist, except the bullshitter. Well, he started to believe his own unbelievable story .

Then one day the bullshitter decided this horse was such a treasure, he was going to buy him a new saddle and other tack.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like knowing my handmade American instrument wasn't crafted in Nazi Germany & I love all these so called "cosmetic imperfections" the cork sniffing yuppies see. I imagine a fellow working class American Joe swaggering into the Gibson guitar factory with a stinking hangover & celebrating his god given freedom all over my future purchase because God bless America, that's why. Freedom isn't imperfect, it's awesome. So slack off as much as you want. Celebrate your freedom all over my future guitar! They could maybe stop filling the truss rod cavities with goo but I've come to embrace that about Gibson's too. In fact, it isn't goo it's freedom nectar. Yeah, freedom nectar.
Holy Crap..... I had to read this three times.... and just got better each time..... where is that bridge your under Val?... gotta post an American US flag on it.....

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Yeah, let me cut to the chase here because I can see a little lynch mob of seething yuppies has formed & they're having nervous breakdowns because I'm refusing to behave like one of their subordinates...

I'm not going to do what any of you tell me to do.

I'm not your secretary.

I'm not your servant.

I'm not here to impress you or earn your widdle emojis like they can be cashed in for money.

Let that sink in ;-)

You can create petty rumors about me. You can make up lil stories & accusations, you can type "belittling comments" & pat yourselves on the back for behaving like a clique of seething little girls before accusing me of being the "bad guy" for refusing to tolerate any of it.

I still won't budge.

I made myself clear in my previous thread. That's it.
I'm sure my toddler gave me the same speech when he didn't want to go to bed :rofl:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the love of God, look up the definition of handmade...

Latest Threads