Debating "imperfections"

jskidder

Reaction score
I've seen some guys become inconsolable wrecks & throw deranged tantrums just because their handmade guitar with vintage specs has handmade features they were warned about in the products advertizing & I'm like, wow, that's hilarious but kind of terrifying at the same time. But mostly hilarious.
Says the guy on a Les Paul forum who doesn't even own a Les Paul.

tigerflame

Reaction score
QC problems never change until the staff does. You want people to do better? Hire better people. Pay them more. Put less pressure on how many units they have to churn out each day, either by hiring more people or charging more per unit to the consumer. Hate to say it but it's true. Can't expect people to work better for the same wage when they've been doing things one way for years.

I am picky about quality control, but I am also realistic about how people are treated at work in this global economy of ours.

All the guitars I own (see sig) have had some kind of flaw. The Mexican Fender bass had the fewest. I'll leave it to others to speculate on why that is.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
QC problems never change until the staff does. You want people to do better? Hire better people. Pay them more. Put less pressure on how many units they have to churn out each day, either by hiring more people or charging more per unit to the consumer. Hate to say it but it's true. Can't expect people to work better for the same wage when they've been doing things one way for years.

I am picky about quality control, but I am also realistic about how people are treated at work in this global economy of ours.

All the guitars I own (see sig) have had some kind of flaw. The Mexican Fender bass had the fewest. I'll leave it to others to speculate on why that is.
I think they already charge enough to address the points you raise. Of the many I have owned over the years the only one I can pick fault with is my 2020 R0, it’s got a great top, plays fine, but the binding is def to up-to parr. The colour choice was also not best for the figure and the edge burst looks like it was sprayed by me, but it’s an interesting point, just what should we expect on a guitar that costs £5k? The irony is the originals by all accounts had some issues with fit and finish, so maybe it’s unavoidable given the complexity and time consuming nature of the tasks. I dunno. I feel like I’ll never buy another les Paul other than Mail order so I can return it if not happy, buying directly, in a retail shop loses that safety net.

callmeval

Reaction score
The rules seem to be as follows:

A handmade Gibson guitar should have absolutely no traces of it being a handmade instrument on its body. Otherwise it's worthless...

But if it has "aesthetically pleasing imperfections" created by the Custom Shop or a company like Historic Makeovers then it's amazing & worth several times more....

In fact, paying a company like Historic Makeovers several grand to make your handmade Gibson guitar look even more handmade increases its value because making your modern Gibson resemble a yesteryear Gibson (& one musicians universally detested back in the day) is "perfection"...

But if ANY Les Paul emerges from Gibson's factory with a speckle on its binding then it's ruined. Even if it's the best playing & sounding guitar you've ever had...

Surely, SURELY, you can all appreciate how insane this is?

& why isn't anyone freaking out when doctors/lawyers/bankers/yuppie types who collect Gibson guitars behave this way? I mean, look at how crazy they are. They're legitimately mental. Like, totally spaztarded!

Can we safely trust these lunatics with our lives? Our money? Our legal matters?!? What if they decide that WE are imperfect! Then what? OMG

Gentleman, a line needs to be drawn.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Specks and stuff I can handle, not sure what others think, my issue is things that should have simply been redone.
What HM do is going for an aged look, I wouldn’t call them imperfections. I want a guitar that evidences the skill of the person that made it, I want to call them craftsmen, but not sure if that would be right, I mean are they time served luthiers/carpenters. But yeah simple stuff being blown up to major drama, quit it.

callmeval

Reaction score
Personally, I like knowing my handmade American instrument wasn't crafted in Nazi Germany & I love all these so called "cosmetic imperfections" the cork sniffing yuppies see. I imagine a fellow working class American Joe swaggering into the Gibson guitar factory with a stinking hangover & celebrating his god given freedom all over my future purchase because God bless America, that's why. Freedom isn't imperfect, it's awesome. So slack off as much as you want. Celebrate your freedom all over my future guitar! They could maybe stop filling the truss rod cavities with goo but I've come to embrace that about Gibson's too. In fact, it isn't goo it's freedom nectar. Yeah, freedom nectar.

callmeval

Reaction score
The way Val has been talking about it in his other thread..... you would wanna see it too.

Now he wants a hundred dollars to show it...... I have shown mine for free.... let that sink in. :rofl::rofl:
That's right your majesty. See your highness, I'm not one of your subjects & I'm not gonna negotiate with your sense of entitlement or your bratty demands. If you want me to ruin my strings & waste around 45 minutes of my day dismantling a guitar you're gonna have to pay. $100 bucks set up fee, otherwise you're gonna have to wait until I decide to do it. I have that freedom. I have that right. Deal with it or seethe

callmeval

Reaction score
If you ruin your strings and it takes you 45mins you're doing it wrong. Just sayin'.....
Yeah, let me cut to the chase here because I can see a little lynch mob of seething yuppies has formed & they're having nervous breakdowns because I'm refusing to behave like one of their subordinates...

I'm not going to do what any of you tell me to do.

I'm not your secretary.

I'm not your servant.

I'm not here to impress you or earn your widdle emojis like they can be cashed in for money.

Let that sink in ;-)

You can create petty rumors about me. You can make up lil stories & accusations, you can type "belittling comments" & pat yourselves on the back for behaving like a clique of seething little girls before accusing me of being the "bad guy" for refusing to tolerate any of it.

I still won't budge.

I made myself clear in my previous thread. That's it.

I don't negotiate with terrorists.

God bless America

jktxs

Reaction score
The rules seem to be as follows:

A handmade Gibson guitar should have absolutely no traces of it being a handmade instrument on its body. Otherwise it's worthless...

But if it has "aesthetically pleasing imperfections" created by the Custom Shop or a company like Historic Makeovers then it's amazing & worth several times more....

In fact, paying a company like Historic Makeovers several grand to make your handmade Gibson guitar look even more handmade increases its value because making your modern Gibson resemble a yesteryear Gibson (& one musicians universally detested back in the day) is "perfection"...

But if ANY Les Paul emerges from Gibson's factory with a speckle on its binding then it's ruined. Even if it's the best playing & sounding guitar you've ever had...

Surely, SURELY, you can all appreciate how insane this is?

& why isn't anyone freaking out when doctors/lawyers/bankers/yuppie types who collect Gibson guitars behave this way? I mean, look at how crazy they are. They're legitimately mental. Like, totally spaztarded!

Can we safely trust these lunatics with our lives? Our money? Our legal matters?!? What if they decide that WE are imperfect! Then what? OMG

Gentleman, a line needs to be drawn.
Dunno man, you sound pretty mental yourself.
For someone who hates and distrusts Gibson so much you sure seem obsessed with them.
One minute you're on a tirade, another you're willing to overlook blemishes because muh freedom. lol wut

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dunno man, you sound pretty mental yourself.
For someone who hates and distrusts Gibson so much you sure seem obsessed with them.
One minute you're on a tirade, another you're willing to overlook blemishes because muh freedom. lol wut
Haven't y'all worked it out yet?

He's a BANJOCASTER spanker!!!

Winding everyone up.

Y'all falling into the trap.

Takes a Scouser to identify a gobeen.

Carry on...

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its okay Val..... you can’t take pictures of what you don’t have..... no Slash.... no spoon....no sense.....it doesn’t matter one bit.

There’s no mob.... nobody forcing cake down your throat.....you can breath easy. It’s just all a bad dream.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Okay, forget about the pickup cavity. Can you take a picture of the bloody guitar? I mean with the strings on and without removing the pickups? Like, “here’s my guitar, look how awesome the finish and the to is” that sort of thing?

callmeval

Reaction score
Remember, everything I've said about the Anaconda isn't real because a bunch of emojis on a computer screen say so...

Also, the word of several highly reputable guitar dealers isn't real for the same reason...

I mean hey, why trust their word when a seething yuppie who doesn't even own the guitar has the mystical power to alter physical reality with an accusatory statement in a message forum...

& when I'm good & god damn ready to take pictures of its long neck tenon, they won't be real. They'll be photoshopped or from another guitar...

Yeah it's just a bunch of narcissistic trolls conspiring against R9 owners & their precious "investments"...

There's no conceivable way a lowly, filthy, grubby Gibson USA Guitar, a peasants guitar, could possibly have no weight relief & a long tenon despite being legally marketed as having them by reputable guitar dealers who are world renowned for respecting their customers. No. It isn't real. It's just trolling. Yes AhaHaHaHaha TROLLING!!! THEY ARE ALL TROLLZ!!!! MY R9 IS DA BESTEST & MOST VALUABLE GUITAR IN ZE VORLD!!!

ZE VORLD!!!!

Get over yourselves & let it go.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
For WAY less than $100, you could buy a kickass bunch of guitar tools and I wouldn't even bust your balls that much on how to do your own setups. Then you're saving money on techs for the rest of your life.

You do actually need a guitar to use them on though, which is a problem for you at the moment. Come back when you have one and we'll get whatever you end up with playing and sounding badass.

Latest Threads