DeArmond foils-type tone?

I.M.Noone

Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of Dave Davie’s early Kinks tone. I’ve read how he got the distortion sound, but I truly dig “You do something to Me” and “You still Want Me”. I know he was using a Harmony Meteor with the DeArmond Foil pickups. Is there any other less-rare and expensive p’ups than can approach that tone?
Thanks!

DavGrape

Reaction score
Dave worked at it; I read his autobiography, he always wanted a unique-ness in guitar sounds.
I'm always chasing his stuff.
Just the opening of 'Dedicated Follower...", that's the only time you hear that guitar sound, on the intro and the closing; but it's so cool.

I'm going to get one of these when they get them back in stock; been out for a long time.
I bet it will get pretty close to DeArmond's; open and glassy sounding.
The price is certainly right.

Pickup.jpg

They got foil, too.
Pickups.jpg

Last edited:

freefrog

Reaction score
From cheap to boutique brands, various PU's released these last years look like DeArmond's and are supposed to sound like them.

I'm really not sure they have all the same inner structure and components than original ones...

IME and AFAIK, real Rowe / DeArmond's "foil" PU's were/are cheap pickups with "flat" coils, inconsistenly magnetized rubber ferrite mags and "bad" thick riveted chrome housing causing loads of eddy currents. Their upper foil is purely cosmetic. They are not potted so they tend to squeal... but yes, they have surely a distinctive tone due to their idiosyncrasies.

Although they share some features with lipsticks, they are not similar IME: the Gold and Silver foils that I've tested appear to have been wound with thin wire giving 2 or 3 times the DCR and inductance of lipsticks. They have a wider "magnetic windows". They sound louder with something of a P90 or humbucker in their sonic profile.

FWIW, original vintage ones can be found for a decent price. I've several exemplaries from the 60's that I've paid less than most new DiMarzio's - my oldest one is an "Harmony" Rowe/DeArmond from July 1961 and has been sold to me for 75 Euros, for example.

FWIW. Just sharing some slices of subjective experience and thoughts before a boring and tiring working day...

I.M.Noone

Reaction score
Thanks, Gents! A few years ago I had a Teisco "SharkFin" guitar that got very close to his dirty tone with some extra EQing, but I stupidly sold it in the quest for the next tone. Thanks for the recommends, I'll definitely look into them!

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave worked at it; I read his autobiography, he always wanted a unique-ness in guitar sounds.
I'm always chasing his stuff.
Just the opening of 'Dedicated Follower...", that's the only time you hear that guitar sound, on the intro and the closing; but it's so cool.

I'm going to get one of these when they get them back in stock; been out for a long time.
I bet it will get pretty close to DeArmond's; open and glassy sounding.
The price is certainly right.

View attachment 541532
They have them to fit Strats, too. With about a minute's work, they'll fit a Melody Maker. I bought a black one, and the solderless harness, too. It sounds like a mahogany solid body Dano would, I suppose.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The proprietary pickups in Ronin guitars are based off these, and sound fantastic. I know they were selling the pickups separately on their website a few years back, might be worth a look.

Latest Threads