Dean Deleo Tone?

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
How do I get there? What effects does he use? A chorus and delay can get me close but not close enough. I mainly use an LP and Bogner Ecstasy for guitar and amp.

ARandall

Reaction score
He was known for using a Demeter preamp.........

ARandall

Reaction score
Power amp. But you might be able to go into an amp effects loop.

I've never used any rack system elements either.......

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Which song?

Live, he uses late 70s Les Pauls.
Early albums like Purple and Core. Idk what effects he used on those albums other than a chorus. There's definitely a chorus used on "Plush", at least it sounds like one to me.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
He's a hard one to mimic. A lot of his tone comes from using multiple amps at once, I think he's often got a Vox AC30 running just at the edge of breakup and compression in addition to whatever other things he has going on.

You could probably crank an AC15 and 18W Marshall together and get fairly close with the right chorus.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Yes, although I don’t know what all that stuff does. Specifically the Midi pedal and some of the rack equipment.
Well, the rack is his amplifier. Of course he has a Vox being a second amp.....most likely in stereo with whatever of the Marshall cabs is the #1 rig as it is fed directly from the boss chorus.
The rockman midi stuff is switching - but there is plenty of info on the net, which is easily available once a google search is done.

fry

Reaction score
I don’t know how he does it, but I saw them one time and he blew my mind. The guy was a magician, able to coax an amazing variety of tones out of his gear, truly underrated.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe in some albums he used a Les Paul Special. I love me some STP, and albums like Tiny Music and Purple, I feel like I've gotten closest using my LP Special.

Latest Threads