Dean Cadillac 1993 Made in Korea. HELP

Rino777

Reaction score
Hey guys!!

I would like to know the opinion of those who have played or know about these Korean Dean Cadillac that were produced in the early 90's.

I always loved this model but I never had the money to buy an American one. However, talking to some people, I was told that these Koreans are excellent guitars and better than any Epiphone and even better than some entry-level Gibson.

On top of that, one fo my guitar gods Steve Clark use to play one of these in the High n' Dry era. That all beeing said, I want to exchange my PRS SE Tremonti with this Cadi...

Any help / opinion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

Rino777

Reaction score
Early 90's Korean guitars were OK. Nothing special and not as good as your PRS. Generally speaking anyway.

I'd look for a newer one.
Thanks for the reply Rocco! By that do you mean construction wise or the hardware and electrics were not that good?

Rino777

Reaction score
I don't know what the prices are like now, but have you searched for any Czech made Deans? I had an Evo many years ago and it was incredibly well made.
Thanks for the reply Currypowder! I have heard about the Czech made ones, but i coudnt find it any.

mjross

Reaction score
It’s not a Caddy but I have a Korean made 35th anniversary Z and it is REAL close to the USA model Z. I can say that because I own both. In fact, I have a collection of USA Deans and though they a amazing guitars and very expensive, for the money the 35th is hard to beat. Again, this is just one particular model that was rumored to be exceptional for a Korean made Dean. I also have a 30th anniversary Korean ML that is really nice but not quite as nice as the 35th Z. If you can find a 35th, buy it! You will not be disappointed. YMMV!

soliloquy

Reaction score
that is NOT a korean model, as far as i know.
your caddy pictured above is a Czech Republic made guitar. The headstocks of those were different, and those guitars were highly regarded on the Dean forums when i was a part of them years ago. could also be known as the 'E-lite' (pronounced as E-LIGHT) or a select? my dean history is rusty.

If its at a good price, and they play nice, i say buy it.

As mentioned above, the korean models from the 90's were alright. Korea really started shining in the 2000's onwards for guitar making. But i'm pretty sure the guitar you posted above was made in Czech.

mjross

Reaction score
that is NOT a korean model, as far as i know.
your caddy pictured above is a Czech Republic made guitar. The headstocks of those were different, and those guitars were highly regarded on the Dean forums when i was a part of them years ago. could also be known as the 'E-lite' (pronounced as E-LIGHT) or a select? my dean history is rusty.

If its at a good price, and they play nice, i say buy it.

As mentioned above, the korean models from the 90's were alright. Korea really started shining in the 2000's onwards for guitar making. But i'm pretty sure the guitar you posted above was made in Czech.
I think you are correct! The Czech guitars were rumored to be fantastic.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
that's a weird guitar. shimpfork headstock. All of the Korean Dean's I've played have been super good. I've got an 80/81 era dean golden e'lite and the Korean dean's do have a very similar neck shape/vibe and the pickups are decent too.

But I'd pass on the one in your post. that small headstock just isn't "dean" enough. :dude:

Latest Threads