De-plating chrome bar-1

Brek

Reaction score
Well isn’t google search an odd one, search for 35% hydrochloric acid and get all sorts of hits, non to anyone selling it in the U.K. this morning I search for muriatic acid and first hit is a seller that sells 5 litres for a tenner, so I can now deplete my bridges and clean my brickwork with what’s left over. (I repointed the house brickwork a few years back and was a bit sloppy with some of the mortar).

Ruckus

Reaction score
Well isn’t google search an odd one, search for 35% hydrochloric acid and get all sorts of hits, non to anyone selling it in the U.K. this morning I search for muriatic acid and first hit is a seller that sells 5 litres for a tenner, so I can now deplete my bridges and clean my brickwork with what’s left over. (I repointed the house brickwork a few years back and was a bit sloppy with some of the mortar).
Are you unchromeing parts? I'm curious about this. Going down to the nickel, copper, or all the way to the base metal?. I did circuit board plating a long time ago ( got fired over a blonde woman ) , I'd like to see pics. I'd send you pics of the blonde lady, but....

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Using muriatic acid to strip chrome can be really tricky but works well. I removed the chrome off a Fender Tele bridge in this fashion. Be VERY careful not to leave the parts in the acid too long or you'll start cutting into under-plating. And be ready to rinse the hardware with clean water as soon as the chrome is burned off.

Alternatively, I've had good success using a small, hobby-type sandblaster to remove chrome off hardware. The advantage to this method is that its much more controllable and you can target certain areas for more or less wearing. After the sandblasting, the parts can be aged with vinegar or muriatic *fumes*.

I am not a fan of using abrasive papers of any kind on hardware as it never looks natural (to me).

Brek

Reaction score
Are you unchromeing parts? I'm curious about this. Going down to the nickel, copper, or all the way to the base metal?. I did circuit board plating a long time ago ( got fired over a blonde woman ) , I'd like to see pics. I'd send you pics of the blonde lady, but....
its copperless plated, so will be removing down to base metal zinc alloy, then onto copperless electro plating the nickel onto it. ordered the muriatic acid last week expected it by now. not arrived though.

Brek

Reaction score
back to drawing board acid arrived today did one more search to double check and discovered it also eats zinc, looks like i'll be keeping the chrome finish. well I have enough acid to have the cleanest brickwork in the street.

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
back to drawing board acid arrived today did one more search to double check and discovered it also eats zinc, looks like i'll be keeping the chrome finish. well I have enough acid to have the cleanest brickwork in the street.
Laughing with you bro.

Nickel plating is pretty tough. I never got good at it myself, at least using the home kits. It was ok for touching up spots, but other than that not so much....

Brek

Reaction score
I might try using a cotton swab to go at it slowly, but man those fumes.....

Lester

Reaction score
Just saw this: I had a friend who used to remove chrome from automotive parts by putting it into a salt bath with a battery and two probes (anode cathode). As I recall, the copper base was always left on the part... but it's been a while so that's a little foggy. Also, the core parts were typically steel - I don't know how that affects the copper bonds. It's all well out of my knowledge of science.

Brek

Reaction score
i did consider using that method watched a tutorial on it. but decided to leave as is, as going to see if i can get some made, its seems to be one area that has been ignored by the after market guys.

Latest Threads