DC Les Paul Special vs PRS Starla... what would add the most?

musicmand

Reaction score
Right now I have three electrics: 2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro, 2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster, and a custom built trashy Telecaster. I'm looking to expand my stable to four axes, but need something that will add something that my current three guitars can't really cover.

I've been jonesing for a dual P-90 equipped double cutaway LPJ or Special. The one with the pickguard (I think it looks better). It looks like an 8-10 year old model can be had for about $700-800.

On the flip side, I've been reminded of the PRS Starla, which can be had for about the same amount of money. One of my favorite singers uses one live (in addition to a bunch of other guitars of course).

So what do you think would add the most to the guitars I've already got?

NHTom

Reaction score
Tough call......both are great guitars. I have a DC SPecial and PRS Mira and love them both........
If I had to get only one, I'd probably go with the Special myself.

I don't think either one would be a bad choice though.

NHTom

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact u posted in this sub-forum makes me think u already know the [correct] answer :naughty:

endial

Reaction score
Sorry to nitpick, musicmand, but LPJ's don't come with P-90 pickups, nor double cut-aways. An LP Junior on the other hand does indeed, come with P-90 pickups (and double cut-aways). As an owner of both, I can assure you they are completely different animals.
http://www.gibson.com/products/electric-guitars/2014/lpj.aspx
-Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Now, on to your inquiry-
I'm all for either of the Gibsons'. You'd be amazed at what a Special can do for your sound, seeing what all you have to work with now, and ready yourself for a Junior down the road after that, because you'll want one after playing the Special for awhile if that's how you decide. Best of luck with your decision!

Latest Threads