Dave Hanson

Torren61

Reaction score
When I was working in Chico, CA last year, I was working on a crew with three other guys. One foreman, one lineman, me and an apprentice... Dave Hanson.

Dave is from Wisconsin. He speaks with that accent. He is 29 at the moment.

Dave is a very religious guy and I immediately started f'ing with him, like I do. I'd ask him all the usual questions like "If God can do anything, can he create a stone so heavy even HE can't lift it?" and "If Jesus is God and the Devil knew it, why did he waste his time trying to tempt him in the desert?". Dave took it all in stride because he "got" me and knew I was kidding and I didn't really care what he believed in as long as he didn't care what I didn't believe in. We became good friends.

Eventually, we all got laid off when PG&E backed off their work orders like they do every year around November. We all went our separate ways to work for other contractors and I went to Australia.

I flew to San Francisco earlier this year to get on the work hiring list and finally got called for a job working for the same contractor that Dave was working for. I went to the job and met the superintendent. He didn't know I knew, and was good friends Dave. We were talking about guys we knew and I was telling him how I like every lineman except one and if I see that guy, I'm gonna kick his ass. "Who's that?" he asks. "Dave Hanson!" says I. "Oh no you're not!" He was ready to drive me to my truck until I assured him I was kidding and I was friends with Dave. Everybody likes Dave.

Dave asked me to come to his wedding on June 16th. I really wanted to go but we had to mobilize our RV on that very day to start work on a new job site. Dave had hired a helicopter and as a surprise, he and his new wife put on harnesses after their vows and they "long lined" away from the reception and off to a waiting car to go to Hawaii for their honeymoon.

I got laid off again on the 3rd of July so I applied for PG&E (I got the job and start next Thursday). I called Dave the day the Chevron refinery caught fire in Richmond, CA to make sure he was okay. He was working at the Shell refinery and he was good. I told him to be careful as I hung up the phone. All linemen do that.

Two days later, Dave fell from a pole he was climbing. I'm not sure exactly what happened but one of the guys on the ground said it reminded him of an Olympic diver that goes off the platform backwards. Dave fell eight feet to an energized circuit below that was covered with insulating rubbers.

He hung on as long as he could but the jostling caused the wires to cross phase and there was an arc. That made him to let go. He fell and landed on the communication wires below and bounced off them and fell to the ground. About 55 feet altogether.

He punctured his femoral artery, fractured his tibia, pelvis, hip and skull, all in multiple places. He severely injured his brain stem. The guys performed First Aid, stabilized him and he was flown to the hospital. He's in a coma right now.

His mom and dad flew in from Wisconsin and I met them today in the waiting room at the neuro ICU ward. I didn't realize he was as bad as he is until his mother told me. She told me he isn't expected to make it. I wanted to cry when she told me but I saw the pain in his parents' eyes and I just had to breathe deeply and not cry. Not in front of them. We talked and prayed together.

Dave's wife came in a bit later and I met her for the first time. She's young and pretty and showed a hell of a lot of grace. They've been married for about six weeks.

I cannot understand why someone like Dave, who is a REALLY good guy, draws this card and someone like my ex, who is a cancer on the planet, gets to free range and cause misery. It makes no sense to me.

If you go to church, believe in God, pray at all... please pray for Dave Hanson. It will take a miracle indeed for him to survive but I know of no one who deserves this more than Dave.

Thanks.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this man. I hope he pulls through man.

Prayers sent

sonar1

Reaction score
Terrible professional hazards you guys face.

Mojo sent.

Engel

Reaction score
I'm sorry your friend was injured on the job. Your analysis sounds pretty bleak man. I'm no stranger to this kind of pain. My dad was similarly injured from a fall when I was 7. He barely survived. After being in a three month coma, multiple shattered bones and joints, paralyzed on his left side and some brain damage he woke up. It's been 20 years now and he's never been the same. Barely walks with assistance, can't take care of himself. Head injuries are a terrible thing. If your buddy pulls through he will never be the same. For his families sake I hope he does.

Regarding safety, I'm sure you guys have safety measure in place. The military in me wants to know exactly where the measures failed and how they could be improved so tradgedies like this could be prevented in the future. Do you have any details?

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's so sad man, and so far, that's really been my own observation. The good people get screwed over.

Torren61

Reaction score
I'm sorry your friend was injured on the job. Your analysis sounds pretty bleak man. I'm no stranger to this kind of pain. My dad was similarly injured from a fall when I was 7. He barely survived. After being in a three month coma, multiple shattered bones and joints, paralyzed on his left side and some brain damage he woke up. It's been 20 years now and he's never been the same. Barely walks with assistance, can't take care of himself. Head injuries are a terrible thing. If your buddy pulls through he will never be the same. For his families sake I hope he does.

Regarding safety, I'm sure you guys have safety measure in place. The military in me wants to know exactly where the measures failed and how they could be improved so tradgedies like this could be prevented in the future. Do you have any details?

I don't know for sure. The details haven't all come out, yet. I spoke with the foreman and the guy who was on the other side of the pole with Dave. They were very close to the top of the pole and he may have flipped his safety strap over the top but no one knows for sure.

Sorry about your dad.

Torren61

Reaction score
That's so sad man, and so far, that's really been my own observation. The good people get screwed over.

I can't even imagine the pain his parents are going through. And his wife. I mean, they haven't even had a chance to really get started with their lives together. No kids. And she's likey to be a widow soon.

InsertUsernameHere

Reaction score
:(

That's terrible, man. I hate to hear something like this happening to a good person. He'll be in my thoughts.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
My sympathies. It's sad all the way around: no parent should be burying their child, and no wife should be widowed so shortly.

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to the events in life.

Seantk

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your buddy Dave H. He really sounds like a great guy (from your description)

fatbird

Reaction score
Hey Bud sorry to hear about your friend, being in the construction business it seems that no matter the safety precautions we take these things do happen, and it sucks even more when it happens to good people. I will pray for Dave and you stay strong.

Pennyman

Reaction score
Four paragraphs into that and I knew it wasn't going to end well.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a cousin named David Hanson… From around Stockton /Fresno… He’s gotta’ be in his early 60’s tho…
And my Uncle Bob Williams was a long time PG&E lineman… I think he retired from PG&E in the ‘80’s
Lotta’ wired “closeness” I this for me…

Torren61

Reaction score
I appreciate all the kind words. I ditched my facebook account but there's a facebook page on him. My wife pulled it up but I had to stop reading some of the stupid sh!t people were writing. There's over 2500 people that have been to that site and lots of them were just posting things that they thought would help but some posts made me wanna punch the poster. It's religious stuff and I won't say more here because of our rules.

Dave's very religious and it's a "miracle" we get along as well as we do (did you see what I did there?).

Latest Threads