Dave Grohl appreciation... sort of

matthew bear

Reaction score
I'd just get a 335...

Actually I would personally rather have a 330. hollow p 90 goodness

jlb32

Reaction score
I definitely think seeing musicians playing a certain style guitar influences me to want to try that style if I havn't already. Especially if I'm a big fan of their music and tone. I don't own a semi-hollow guitar but have played a few and love them. It's on my wish list. I personally think the DG-335 looks great but the used prices are ridiculous.

The rumored Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) Gibson 335 signature sounds interesting also if and when it comes out.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
When I was a teenager I wanted an electric guitar and didn't really care what kind it was. I got a Silvertone for Christmas and loved it. Never saw any rock star playing one but I loved it (still do).

Then after seeing Alvin Lee play Goin' Home at Woodstock (then later on, live at a local concert) and seeing BB King all over television, I knew I wanted an ES-335. That was the first guitar I ever bought myself.

While growing up listening to Hendrix, Clapton, Beck and Gilmore, I also wanted a Strat. Later on, I ended up with several of them.

I never wanted to be just like any of them, but I knew if they could rock that well using those guitars, I might have a snowball's chance in hell of making some cool sounds on the same guitars.

After standing with my elbows on the stage at Roy Buchanan's feet, watching him burn up a Tele, at two different concerts, I knew I had to have a Tele too.

As for an LP, there was never any single rock hero that led me to want one. The LP was like a Cadillac. So many players made them sound so great, it was like a far off dream, "...one day when I have the money...".

Guitars can be a lot like women, but the one big advantage is, you can love as many as you want with out getting in any trouble. :cool:

Get your DG guitar and rock the hell out of it. You don't have to justify, or rationalize it with anybody or anything. :thumb:

Meatwad

Reaction score
I'd say I'm a Dave Grohl fanboi.
Nirvana was probably my least favorite of all the bands he's been involved with, but Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Them Crooked Vultures - I can't get enough of that stuff.

DHK68

Reaction score
I thought Nirvana sucked, big massive dog balls actually, Daves drumming was extremely ordinary, I won't go to Kurt out of respect for the dead.

But the Foos. Daves drumming was completely different and fit his songs - that kind of happens when you write a song and know what the drums are going to be. Love em.

Guitars in Foos? nice playing and all that, but I am convinced a lot of teens/twenties would not even touch, or more likely, sneer, at a hollow body, but their hero plays one so suddenly they are cool. Not saying for or against, but I'm pretty sure Gibson sales are up on that model for one reason only, and it is not because of the guitar itself, it is because of the assocciation of that guitar with a very popular player - DG.

bscenefilms

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked him in Sound City. I thought he just nailed the role.

daftparagon

Reaction score
I do not love nor hate Dave Grohl. Don't care either way. He exists in a musical world that is of little interest to me. I'm fine with him doing whatever he does. The end.

That said... In the past I've bought a couple signature guitars. It was all when I was into shred music and had this delusion that I could play that stuff (and the greater delusion that I'd enjoy playing it).

Now? I'm still influenced by the players I like. Everyone is. You're just a collection of your influences. I don't play a particular model of guitar because of an individual... but a lot of the folks I like play strats, so I have a strat-like guitar. It seems very natural to do that.

So if you're a big Grohl fan, seems logical you'd want to play at least a guitar similar to his. I'm sure a lot of the other music you'd like, would sound right with this gear.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I'm really wanting a semi hollow guitar in the future, and I love the styling of the Trini Lopez - it seems more modern to me. Being a big fan of Pelham Blue, one of the Dave Grohl inspired Trini's would be right up my alley.

acstorfer

Reaction score
DG is pretty huge. It could simply be that more and more people listen to his music and are really impressed with the guitar. They hear it and may not necessarily think they want to sound like him, rather they want their guitar to sound like that.

DHK68

Reaction score
I have no experience on a hollowbody, but I would certainly try one. I loved Rush when I was younger, Alex Lifeson, but I did not dig his guitars at all - well, the look, not the sound. You mature (hopefully) and come to the conclusion, well, if it takes that type of guitar to get that type of sound, open your mind, don't pre-judge, and accept there is more to rock than a Les Paul.

Mainly I want to say is if you like guitars, try many different guitars, but don't judge either for or against any guitar just because "certain people" like or dislike any paricular model.

Lurko

Reaction score
I have actively NOT bought a signature guitar because I don't like the idea of playing <insert rockstar>'s guitar.

Yes, I know that Les Paul is a sig model, technically, but you know and I know we are talking apples and oranges here in terms of LP now being really associated with the guitar, not the player himself.

Latest Threads