Dave Grohl appreciation... sort of

DHK68

Reaction score
I think DG is great, he has a unique approach to songs and chords, without trying to out-do or show off to the music public. He is what he is and he seems happy with that.

My query is: there seems to be an explosion of DG-335 / or is it DG 355, i get them mixed up; mainly (or wholy) cause Dave plays one. I wonder whether the public buys/ wants this guitar because it is a signature model, or they just want to be Dave, or they genuinely like a semi-hollow.

If Dave played a Telecaster as his main guit, would there be Tele fever happening now? I think there would.

Point being, are we so influenced by our "heroes" that we are so desperate to copy them, in the hope we may somehow gain some of their talent, that you / I think that if that guitar works for them, it must work for me also.

I have never been a fan of the semi-hollows in the past, mainly because I had never actually played one and know little about them., but I am intrigued to find out how they play and feel. Why? ... Yes, because Dave plays one, and I happen to like his sound. Not the look, the image, the wanna-be, but the sound (or tone if you like.) I thank Dave for expanding my outlook on guitars - beyond a Les Paul, Explorer etc.

Would I buy one because they are a DG sig model? No, I would not. I would buy one if I dug the sound. How about you?

PeteK

Reaction score
Well I don't listen to a lot of Eric Johnson, but I'd sure like to buy an EJ Strat! Maybe it's just a good guitar?

DHK68

Reaction score
That's confusing, but thanks anyway. If you don't listen to much EJ, how do you know what his sound is, and why would you want to (replicate??) his sound. Just curious.

A bit off, but I totally dig Jimmy Page (like, dah) but I'm not going to copy him, his guitar, or dragon pants. My personal pref is a Firebird, cause I just like them. Lets all be individuals.

bertzie

Reaction score
The only guitar I've ever wanted to buy just because someone else played that kind of guitar is a polka dot flying V. And that's still not the only reason, because it's also an epic looking guitar.

Leendrix

The Cheeky One
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He seems to be a pretty content person, so a signature model may be too much for him. He's really happy with the Trinny Lopez Gibson Signatures that hey plays. Maybe he doesn't want to have a signature model made after a signature model. :laugh2:

candletears7

Reaction score
I always wondered what the hell Dave was thinking with that guitar...it's blue, its hollow, it's got diamond holes and the headstock looks goofy. Terrible looking guitar in my opinion, given that he used to rock Explorers, Firebirds, RD's and Les Paul and SG Customs...all killer guitars.

Then again I've owned the first gun album and The Color and the Shape many times, and none of their bland boring FM rock albums since...

PeteK

Reaction score
That's confusing, but thanks anyway. If you don't listen to much EJ, how do you know what his sound is, and why would you want to (replicate??) his sound. Just curious.

A bit off, but I totally dig Jimmy Page (like, dah) but I'm not going to copy him, his guitar, or dragon pants. My personal pref is a Firebird, cause I just like them. Lets all be individuals.

I'm was trying to say that you assume people are buying semi-hollows because Dave Grohl plays one. Maybe people just like the guitar. My example of the EJ Strat seemed applicable to the situation since, as I said, I don't even listen to Eric Johnson. But I've played an EJ Strat and it was a very nice guitar. Me wanting that guitar has absolutely nothing to do with Eric Johnson. :)

DHK68

Reaction score
PeteK... you have to finish something. :)

DHK68

Reaction score
The only guitar I've ever wanted to buy just because someone else played that kind of guitar is a polka dot flying V. And that's still not the only reason, because it's also an epic looking guitar.

Are we talking Randy R? I think anyone would give you the OK on that.

DHK68

Reaction score
Yes, I don't think I've seen one before or since, and I don't think anyone (out on stage) would dare to use one for fear of comparisson. .. The RR polka dot, I mean. I think it would look odd and out of place on anyone else, really.

But are we getting off track. The DG.....

I was kind of horrified/dissapointed when I saw the FF at Wembley 2008 (on DVD) and Dave rocked out with this huge looking blue slab of a guitar, reminded me of Ted Nugent, as I was so used to seeing Dave with a Firebird at that point. Then he played it....

Sounded pretty f'n cool to me, but still, that thing looked huge, .... and blue.... (I prefer the red color myself).

Just goes to show

ScottKendrick

Reaction score
I don't have a DG but I do have a '64 Trini Lopez. The headstock takes a little getting use to but the guitar plays awesome. The tone is good and the weight is very light. A nice change after slinging the LP around a couple of hours.
guitars_013.JPG

12watt

Reaction score
A Pelham Blue, 335 bodied Trini Lopez? **** yeah, where do I sign?

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I always wondered what the hell Dave was thinking with that guitar...it's blue, its hollow, it's got diamond holes and the headstock looks goofy. Terrible looking guitar in my opinion, given that he used to rock Explorers, Firebirds, RD's and Les Paul and SG Customs...all killer guitars.

Then again I've owned the first gun album and The Color and the Shape many times, and none of their bland boring FM rock albums since...

mark-wahlberg-shocked-gif.gif

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Ive always thought the FF put out consistantly good music in an otherwise bland mainstream market. Not bad for starting out in the DC punk and hardcore scene and then igniting the grunge scene in my opinion. Plus there is a picture somewhere on the interwebs of him with a Virus shirt on which is my current singers old band. :thumb:

DHK68

Reaction score
I'm going to really get this going now...

I think FF are the Led Zep of the current era. I'm not comparing talent or any of that virtuoso stuff, what I mean is FF seem to be a consistent rock band that is comfortable with heavy, mild, acoustic, and every thing else in between. And they seem to do a good job of all of it, and crowds seem to appreciate it. Sounds a lot like Zep in the 70's.

Don't burn me, cause I'm not saying FF are the musical equivalent of Zep, I'm suggesting their approach and attitude towards music is similar, and suits todays audience, just as Zep suited 70's audiences; and really, name me a popular rock band that can consistently sell CD/tour as the FF do.

They are not the best ever, they are not the worst ever, but you can not have a 20 year career in music without something going for you.

Flying_Milkman

Reaction score
I absolutely have bought guitars because my hero's use them.

I have a Les Paul because I grew up listening to Page and Slash.

I have a semi-hollow because I love the tone of guys from Oasis and other indie-rock bands.

I have a Tele because I love country players and alt-rock players.

At this point in my musical development I don't want to emulate anyone, I like sounding like myself. But in my formulaic music years you can bet I wanted to "copy" my idols.

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
He seems to be a pretty content person, so a signature model may be too much for him. He's really happy with the Trinny Lopez Gibson Signatures that hey plays. Maybe he doesn't want to have a signature model made after a signature model. :laugh2:[/QUOTE

Gibson released an Inspired By Dave Grohl DG-335 a few years back.
DV016_Jpg_Large_515608.029_pelham_blue.jpg

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

The Randy Rhoads Vee? :applause:
You might like the polka dot Buddy Guy Strat also. :thumb:

Different sound (of course) but a cool look.

marvar

Reaction score
My take:
Dave likes the Trini's, says he's used it on every album. They work for him.
Gibson didn't make all that many Trini's back in the day.
Gibson saw a way to re-introduce another model, pick up a few bucks 'cause people were out hunting Trini's- but, problem was, hardly anyone knew who Trimi Lopez is-so, name it the DG model- a win win situation all around.

Latest Threads