Darkest original bursts?

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
So I seem to have a bee in my bonnet/panties in a bunch about original dark bursts/tobacco bursts/ES bursts/whatever.

I've seen a few examples of bursts that were considered to be very dark, based on scanned photos, that have been rephotographed with modern digital cameras and shown to be far lighter than thought. Duane Allman's dark burst and the Perry burst are two.

I've looked through burstserial.com and seen plenty of very dark ones, but they seem to all be film photo scans. As somebody who understands photography, I know that film is comparatively bad at capturing shadows, whereas digital is worse at capturing highlights. Film crushes shadows towards black.

So, what examples of well documented very darks bursts are there shot in good light with modern cameras?

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eyes, digital cams, and film all handle light and color differently.

When I was burst shopping, I saw a fully faded burst...no red left. But when photos were taken with a digital camera, all the red came back. It was mystical.

Most are lighter and less flamey-er in person than pics would suggest. A noticeable exception to that hypothesis is Sandy...that guitar looks just like the pictures, from every angle.

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
Eyes, digital cams, and film all handle light and color differently.

When I was burst shopping, I saw a fully faded burst...no red left. But when photos were taken with a digital camera, all the red came back. It was mystical.

Most are lighter and less flamey-er in person than pics would suggest. A noticeable exception to that hypothesis is Sandy...that guitar looks just like the pictures, from every angle.
I totally get you. Here's one of mine... same guitar
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

60thR0

Reaction score
So, what examples of well documented very darks bursts are there shot in good light with modern cameras?
Everyone’s moved to video and specifically YouTube. Suggest searching there.

I can’t resist nitpicking your comment referring digital though- your wording implies there is something lacking in digital’s ability to capture highlights. The real issue with digital is lower dynamic range compared to film which tends to manifest itself as blown highlights if the user or automatic exposure exposes for mid tones.

Another factor is (auto) white balance and sensor/processing accuracy as most folks are using tiny phone cameras that are not colour accurate. I suppose they are generally optimised to take people photos. Even high end phones tend to have a cast. My DSLR is dead on- but these days even I can’t be bothered to get it out.

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In 2014, Gil was at the show with the Auction Burst. He just bought it.
It was probably the darkest Burst I had ever seen. To be fair, it was a
1960, after the Dye change, and wouldn't have faded as fast, but it was
stunning.

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

sumitagarwal

Reaction score

Latest Threads