Darkback?

leofender55

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I've been looking around the Net for information on Darkback Les Paul's. A few years back I went looking for a second Lester so I could leave my G0 at home for the local jams (things sometimes get "active"). Got a deal on a great Standard in Desertburst with a darkback. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why some Les Paul's have a darkback, except that a lot of the Goldtop reissues seem to have them. Any ideas?
Thanks

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an R7 gold top with dark back.. Love the combo. I'm heard they are a bit rare.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Back in the '50s Gold Tops were dark backs so it makes sense for R7s to have them. But there are also R7s without them.

As for other guitars, it is a mystery to me too.

leofender55

Reaction score
There's not much interest in this, and I didn't find out much so I emailed Gibson. Their reply was that guitars are painted darkback for aesthetic purposes and on non-goldtop Les Pauls it's applied mostly to dark sunburst models. So, maybe just because they can.

RRfireblade

Reaction score
'Typically', across the field, wood composition and/or grain that would be considered less appealing will get tinted, stained and painted. Of course there are exceptions and various other possible reasons.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
When looking at R7's I saw some that had a deep dark trans red back (darker than typical red on the back of HCB's) and some that looked like solid black paint. Are there any other variances of darkbacks?

leofender55

Reaction score
My Desertburst is definitely dark brown in color, darker than the outer edge color of the burst. It's a nice combination.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
When looking at R7's I saw some that had a deep dark trans red back (darker than typical red on the back of HCB's) and some that looked like solid black paint. Are there any other variances of darkbacks?
There is definitely a difference between blackback and darkback, although many use the term darkback to mean both. Gibson USA uses blackback on many models like a Standard with Desertburst finish. Darkback is usually reserved for the chestnut red/brown coloring found on the back of many goldtops.

Latest Threads