Dark Terror Volume-Gain-Shape Unusable with Firehawk FX using Effects Loop

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Good Morning, I hooked up my Firehawk FX using the 4 Cable method to my Dark Terror's Effect Loop and it works, but I don't have any control on the amp itself. The Volume, Gain and Shape knobs do pretty much nothing at all. I of course have the Firehawk FX setup to not use any Cab\Amp and it seems not matter what I do moving things around, I can't use the amp for my gain.

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
That indicates that the only effective audio feed you have is going into the FX Return of the amp. Your other connections or settings may be wrong.

Guitar -> Firehawk Input -> [front of amp effects (wah, comp, drive etc)] -> [Firehawk FX Loop Block - Firehawk FX Send -> Dark Terror front Input -> Dark Terror FX Send -> Firehawk FX Return] -> [fx loop effects (chorus, delay, reverb etc)] -> Firehawk Output -> Dark Terror FX Return

Make sure Firehawk FX Loop Block is turned on (enabled).

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The only effects pedals I have or are using is the Firehawk FX multieffects itself, since I figure I can use it for everything. with 5 assignable pedals and the wah.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I did turn on the effects loop on my tablet for the Firehawk settings where I can adjust the send and return as well as Mix. I moved the Effect Loop icon in front of the amp/cab and behind the amp/cab with nothing else on except volume.

I am sure it is just me needing to set something up properly probably in the chain possibly, but I am not sure just what I am not doing correctly yet.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I did find something that explains connecting a Firehawk to the effects loop better a couple different ways. Until I figure out how the 4 Cable Method works better, I think I will just go Guitar to Amp, Amp Send FX to FireHawk Guitar Input, then FireHawk Send to Amp Return FX. This way I can use my Dark Terrors Pre-Amp properly.

The 4 Cable Method bypasses the Dark Terrors Pre-Amp entirely and I am not sure how the signal chain should really work on the Firehawk, since I tried a bunch of different things. Also, the Volume for the poweramp did not do much either hooked up the 4 Cable method.

tzd

Reaction score
Did you check that you used Left/Mono and not Right for the Firehawk FX loop?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I will double check things when I get home and someone on the Firehawk Forum gave me a couple things to try as well.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Question: I'm not familiar with Firehawk, but are there not amp models that you could use in lieu of the Dark Terror? Be careful you don't get chained to the multi effects processors lest you forget the reason you took up guitar in the first place.

Classicplayer

rjwilson37

Reaction score
That's just it, I don't want to use the amp models in the Firehawk FX, I want to use my amps voicing as well as it's gain and just have effects through the loop. I hooked it up 3 cable the normal effects loop way, and all is good now. I can now hear all the different reverb choices rather than going from guitar into Firehawk into amp. Just like putting a stomp box in front of the amp is the way I was using the Firehawk for a while and all the reverbs sounded the same. Someone told me to use the 4 Cable Method to get the most out my effects and amp, which I just could not get it to work properly. I like the way it is now just going from Guitar into Amp, then from Amp Effects Send to Firehawk Guitar input, then from Firehawk Effects Send to Amp Effects Return.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I'm happy you got the answer for that. How are the effects in the FH, by the way? Convincing? Do you think that they interfere with that 'bad' gain coming out of the Dark Terror? The reason I ask is that I've wondered about getting for my Dark Terror an inexpensive, small footprint, multi-effects processor say, one with delay, octave effect, and chorus. The reason that I've held off researching them is that I'm in “love” with
that wicked gain coming from then DT. So, as of now I employ just a reverb pedal and that is kept low so as not to mask any amp tones.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

SGeoff

Reaction score
some effects sound better into the front, and some sound better in the loop. some experimentation is usually needed to get what you want out of it. I just tried a small auto wah that works well going into the front, but caused a bit of havoc going thru the loop. it set up an ocillating feedback in 2 different amp loops:dunno:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am finding that the FH Effects sound much better in the loop, not up front. They are really coming alive now and have a much better response to changes in parameters\settings. Plus the different options for Chorus, Reverb and Delay, you can really hear the differences between them, because you can hear the difference more since the pre-amp is not muddying it up.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I will try the 4 Cable Method again maybe tonight on my new Rocker Terror 15, since I found some more information on how to set it up and configure in the Firehawk FX Signal chain settings.

tzd

Reaction score
Do you know if your amp’s effects loop runs at Line level (+4 dBu) or Guitar/Stomp level (-10 dBV)

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I'm happy you got the answer for that. How are the effects in the FH, by the way? Convincing? Do you think that they interfere with that 'bad' gain coming out of the Dark Terror? The reason I ask is that I've wondered about getting for my Dark Terror an inexpensive, small footprint, multi-effects processor say, one with delay, octave effect, and chorus. The reason that I've held off researching them is that I'm in “love” with
that wicked gain coming from then DT. So, as of now I employ just a reverb pedal and that is kept low so as not to mask any amp tones.
Classicplayer
I think the Firehawk FX is the best bang for your buck Multieffects pedal board.

I don't know the line level of my amp's effects loop.

Latest Threads