Dangerous tools -- or -- how lucky I was today

MaceRider

Reaction score
I took a cursory glance at some 1.5-2.5 HP routers on the Dewalt site, and it looks like they have draws of 8 amps to 12 amps. I think that in order to have some extra margin of safety, you should use a switch rated for 15, if you can find it.

LPBR

Reaction score
Great, thanks for this Mace!

:thumb:

DaveR

Reaction score
Depends on size of router. For a big one, that's probably not enough. I'd want it rated as high as the outlet you're plugging into. Not sure about Brazil. In the USA most newer household outlets are on a 15A circuit. I rewired my shop with heavier wire, higher rated receptacles and bigger breakers for tool requirements. My air compressor draws a lot and used to trip my old 15A breaker constantly. Now it's on a 40A circuit with 10ga wire.

Looks like mace beat me to it. Lol.

VictOr358

Reaction score
40 Amps might be an overkill, but I'd build mine with a 25 Amps button.

fumblefinger

Reaction score
I've done mostly spindle sanding for body outlines. If I go back to routing, I'm definitely getting a solid carbide spiral flush trim bit. With a 1/2" shaft, too. Much less chance of kickback with a spiral.

Also, the main reason you had kickback is that your trim router was not up to the task of running that large of a bit. A 3 horse router would've powered through. You'd probably have tear out but that's safer.

Glad someone with more experience than me said this. I've chewed up several nice pieces of wood with my underpowered router. I haven't attempted that particular exercise since for several reasons, the main one being I haven't purchased a more powerful router. I had a professional finish carpenter tell me to buy the most powerful router I could and modulate it with a speed control device.

I had an accident with a miter saw that left me with a numb hand, but thankfully no more. I use it as a last resort.

Glad there wasn't any more damage than there was.

tvr

Reaction score
LBPR, for whats its worth the value of these posts, is sharing something that saves the rest of us....today I bought a 15amp footswitch for the upcoming body I have to rout ....likely should have had it for the first few builds, but DEFINITELY going to be used on all future builds! Sorry you had to experience it but you have no doubt saved someone else on the forum from repeating it.......starting with me :) Tks Bro.

Shawn

Latest Threads