Daily String Breaking

GibsonRocker

Reaction score
So this summer I experienced one of the most frustrating music related things of my life. Constant string breaking. Every 1-3 days the G on my acoustic will break. Then 1 - 3 days later the D will break. Repeat. ALong with that, throw in the A every 1-2 weeks and thats my situation. Now, it is 100% of the time right at the bridge, where the saddle is and I can see roughness in the slot so I know this is the cause. My question is the best way to deal with this. I've heard a nail file can be used to file it down a small amount, is there anything more to this than it would seem? Thanks for any help lads, this has been extremely angering and getting rather expensive. I've wasted at least 40 dollars on individual strings since June. Funk that!:laugh2:

randelli

Reaction score
I used to slip a small piece of wire insulation over the small strings and let the insulation sit on the saddles. Worked very well and I never broke another string.

GibsonRocker

Reaction score
I used to slip a small piece of wire insulation over the small strings and let the insulation sit on the saddles. Worked very well and I never broke another string.

Did it affect the sound at all? And was it acoustic or electric?

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've used D strings as a file before for nuts and saddles.

Honestly I probably wouldn't recommend it, though it worked at the time. (or at least seemed to.)

If I had your problem I might consider Graphtec type saddles as a replacement instead of a work around.

I've seen people do the insulation trick (especially on Strats), and it seemed to work fine. But something personally rubs me funny about that. Anything on the the string in it's path, even a little piece of case fuzz, can mute/hinder/dampen the sound of that string.

I'm thinking electric though and you're talking acoustic?

I never had acoustic problems to have to fix. *shrugs*

Good luck.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I've used the string insulation things on cellos and double basses before, I don't think it affects the sound at all, just helps accomplish what your trying to accomplish. But on those instruments I think it was mainly for when the bridge slot was cut too deep.

Latest Threads