Custombuckers, ThroBack, Wizz pups

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
My 2019 R7 came in yesterday and I was very excited to try out the custombuckers. Bridge sounds great…but the neck is a real disappointment! Sounds wooly. Tried cranking the presence on my plexi but it didn’t help. That “honk” I expect out of the middle position was absent too.

I’m going to replace the pickups for a bit. Was trying to decide between Wizz and ThroBack, but I found a used set of ThroBack Sle101/Sle101 Plus with A2s for a good price. I’ll report back when those go in.

On the plus side I also picked up a 2006 R8 which has double white uncovered Wizz pickups, and it sounds phenomenal!

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Wow $650 for pickups. Too rich for my blood.

Jim Wagner is my go to. About $300 and if you can add it to the cart, that means he has it in stock. His Darkbursts are better than my SLE 101+ MXV (the run with the original 50s wire).

eta: I bought my throbaks used for about the price of new Jim Wagner’s

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
Wow $650 for pickups. Too rich for my blood.

Jim Wagner is my go to. About $300 and if you can add it to the cart, that means he has it in stock. His Darkbursts are better than my SLE 101+ MXV (the run with the original 50s wire).

eta: I bought my throbaks used for about the price of new Jim Wagner’s
There is no way I would pay $600 for pickups. Got a good used price!

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
if the honk you're looking for is missing its a few things you can do to get it.

1. you got a plexi and Marshalls just like my tweed bassman are mid heavy amps. Boost your mids on your amp way up lol
2. Up your action & lower the pickups some
3. Custombuckers if I remember correctly are alnico 3. Which is a brighter version of a alnico 2 with lower output. Alnico 2 and 3s have pretty scooped mids. I'd suggest a pickup that's a bit more mid dominant. A alnico 4 or 5 magnet pickups *long or short* will give you that added push in the mids & give you the honk you looking for. Ox4 pickups will give to you that in spades.

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
if the honk you're looking for is missing its a few things you can do to get it.

1. you got a plexi and Marshalls just like my tweed bassman are mid heavy amps. Boost your mids on your amp way up lol
2. Up your action & lower the pickups some
3. Custombuckers if I remember correctly are alnico 3. Which is a brighter version of a alnico 2 with lower output. Alnico 2 and 3s have pretty scooped mids. I'd suggest a pickup that's a bit more mid dominant. A alnico 4 or 5 magnet pickups *long or short* will give you that added push in the mids & give you the honk you looking for. Ox4 pickups will give to you that in spades.
The ThroBaks I put in gave me everything I was looking for!

Latest Threads