Custombuckers Height

h4ck.b0x7

Reaction score
I’m interested in compiling a sample pool of Custombucker heights.

What height do you have your Custombuckers set to?

Measurements taken with strings depressed at last fret. Please give High and Low E measurements for Neck and Bridge.

I’m not looking for the typical “set them where they sound good”/“use your ears” responses. That isn’t the purpose of this.

ARandall

Reaction score
Just out of interest (because there are a few of these threads that come and go and I have yet to understand why people poll others for aspects that are clearly based only on personal taste) what is the purpose here......I mean when you have all the measurements posted is there any practical use going to come out of it - or are a lot of people just closet statisticians.

h4ck.b0x7

Reaction score
Just out of interest (because there are a few of these threads that come and go and I have yet to understand why people poll others for aspects that are clearly based only on personal taste) what is the purpose here......I mean when you have all the measurements posted is there any practical use going to come out of it - or are a lot of people just closet statisticians.
I’m a closet statistician….and invariably most of those other threads just end up with “use your ears” and no quantifiable data.

ARandall

Reaction score
Ok, you have the data there in numbers form. So how is your data of height going to work if you don't know anything about either the amp settings nor about the rig people use, nor the room the are in, nor the target tone they are after???
Plus of course we have anecdotal evidence of a variance in the Custombucker wind complicating things.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
It's perceived tone. There CAN'T be "quantifiable data", because everyone's ears hear things differently. Some even never take a screwdriver to their guitar! I know, amazing!
So you get one person that says X. Another X-, still another that says 2Xy.... and don't mention string gauge, or amp setting, or pedals... what's the point?

GT40

Reaction score
I raised mine 'til the strings buzzed against them and then backed them off until the buzz went away

Turns out that's 2/32nds low E and 3/64ths high E on both pickups.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I've actually authored threads on the subject, and you do have a point. My threads were sort of seeking a consensus to base my own measurements against others' just to see if there is “ballpark” height that most people set pickups at. Other threads I started asked only about a specific pickup brand and what height did most folks find the best for them. Many answers were akin to “Adjust them til' they sound good to you.” This is usually the best advice in the long run; given the variations in all the factors that surround the definition of the word “good”.

Now, I adjust the neck pup on my Les Pauls to where it sounds good to me and me alone. Once this is done, I adjust the bridge pup to as good a tone as I think I can get from it (by itself) and concern myself with the all-important middle position tone, and the relationship between the two pickups by making minor tweaks to my guitar volume and tone controls; when needed. I'm one of those players that you see now and then, who is sometimes reaching for the guitar knobs between soloing and rhythm work….some times between a solo's “sections”. I'm looking for that “tone”. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have a perfect relationship between neck and bridge pups; so that we can set all the controls and never reach for them much at all.

Classicplayer

framos

Reaction score
Mine (unpotted, 8.1k at both neck and bridge) are set to:

Bridge: 5/64" treble and bass sides.
Neck: 3/32" treble side and 7/64" bass side.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I don't have Custombuckers, but my Seth Lover pair (7.2 neck/8.2bridge) are almost exactly the same distances from the e-strings. The neck Seth is just below the ring on the 6th string side.

Classicplayer

framos

Reaction score
Is your neck pickup considerably below the sides of the pickup mounting ring?
A bit, yes. The rings are not a good reference for pickup height. Depending on the neck set angle, two guitars might have its neck pickups above or bellow the rings while being the same distance from the strings. I've had 2 2011 R8 (my first historic!) that even the bridge pups had to be slightly bellow the rings in order to get 3/32 from the strings!

boola1

Reaction score
I’m interested in compiling a sample pool of Custombucker heights.

What height do you have your Custombuckers set to?

Measurements taken with strings depressed at last fret. Please give High and Low E measurements for Neck and Bridge.

I’m not looking for the typical “set them where they sound good”/“use your ears” responses. That isn’t the purpose of this.
Pole piece heights need to be considered also as they play an equally important part of the tone.

2 Custombuckers set to the same height with different pole piece heights are essentially totally different configs.

Latest Threads