Custombuckers height

kungpow!

Reaction score
My custombuckers sounded best when I took em out out, and put them in a shoebox. And then replaced them with sheptones.

:dunno:

BBD

Reaction score
What @framos said about the neck pickup being a bit high. FWIW, I'd suggest lowering it on the treble side. 7.3DCR is low-wind, so you might have to add a bit of clean boost or OD or preamp gain or any combination of these to get your tone right with low-wind pickups.

ARandall

Reaction score
If you need the pickups to be at that height to get the tone you want with your unique style and rig, then thats what you need......simple as that.

I would urge you to try setting up the pickup height a few times though.......so you hear the different heights/tones with fresh ears a few times

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't own this brand of pickups, but the info in the video was helpful...

H. Mac

Reaction score
Well... duh. That's what I do, I'm just surprised how high I'm finding these want to be compared to other PAF-style humbuckers, and I'm trying to see if others are finding the same.
I’m surprised too.

The CBs on my R8 sound great, but were adjusted really high from the factory, and the pole piece screws stick up a slight bit higher than they do on non-CB buckers. In addition, there doesn’t seem to be much downward adjustment.

My guess is that CBs are a good bit different than other humbuckers, and work best closer to the strings than the other types.

If Gibson has explained the reason that CBs are adjusted so high, I’d sure like to read it.

jruano

Reaction score
The neck pickup on my R9 won’t go as low as some of the suggestions here for instance

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
The neck pickup on my R9 won’t go as low as some of the suggestions here for instance
Same here for the neck pickup on my 2016 R8. It gets so far and then the adjuster screw starts backing out.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Same here for the neck pickup on my 2016 R8. It gets so far and then the adjuster screw starts backing out.
If the rout is deep enough, you can just get some longer mounting screws and get it lower.
Al

jruano

Reaction score
Well, the point is if it won’t go down lower they probably didn’t see the need.

mdubya

Reaction score
Pluck the low E and dial the pickup until it starts to ring and sustain and produce harmonic overtones. Do the same with the high E. Go from there.

I think Custom Buckers pretty much use A3 magnets these days. A3's are the weakest alnico magnets, so probably do need to be closer to the strings than maybe you are used to. On the plus side, modern A3's are stronger than vintage A3's and might come closer to sounding like vintage A2's than modern A2's? :dunno: :p

I don't have Custom Buckers, but I do have a couple of sets of MHS Buckers and I like them a lot.

I dial in whichever pickup is most important to me (usually the bridge) then I dial in the other to balance. Works for me.
I have '57 Classics in an Epi Sheraton. Dialed in for harmonic overtones, they were too hot for my tastes, so I lowered them. Mellowed them right out.

GT40

Reaction score
I cranked mine up until the strings buzz against them and then backed down until the buzzing stopped.

jruano

Reaction score
I’m starting to sense a theme here... maybe my 1mm is too high after all!

Last edited:

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
If the rout is deep enough, you can just get some longer mounting screws and get it lower.
Al
I haven't looked but fortunately it sounds really good right at the lower limit the screws go to. I should open it up and look at it though. Maybe later this week.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
You probably already know this, but if you set them too high the magnets pulling on the strings will throw your intonation off :)