Custombuckers height

jruano

Reaction score
So recently I got an R9 with these. Love them, but kept messing with heights not able to decide where to settle. Finally bridge is at 1mm both sides, neck is at 0.5mm high E, 1.5mm low E. Quite a bit higher than I usually go with PAFs... you guys finding the same?

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Never really measured that. I use the width of a nickle to start with and tweak it by ear from there. Did not notice that difference with the custombuckers in my Shanks although they have been changed out.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
^^^^ What sounds good to you ,, is what is "best" .. I start with new pups flush and go from there ... Up of down , depends on everything about the guitar .... Once you find the sweet spot for you , you're done ....

jruano

Reaction score
^^^^ What sounds good to you ,, is what is "best" .. I start with new pups flush and go from there ... Up of down , depends on everything about the guitar .... Once you find the sweet spot for you , you're done ....
Well... duh. That's what I do, I'm just surprised how high I'm finding these want to be compared to other PAF-style humbuckers, and I'm trying to see if others are finding the same.

Last edited:

DarthPaul

Reaction score
My neck pickup is flush to the ring on the treble side, with the bass side slightly below.
The bridge is weaker than the neck PU, so it sits just above the ring, with only a slight drop on the bass side.
I see you haven't changed your avatar, lol.
If you see your old axe back on the market, please let me know!

AllmanFan

Reaction score
Are you measuring with the high/low “E” depressed at the last fret?

BBD

Reaction score
It depends on the wind, which some say with CBs is variable. Some are hotter, many are notter. So back to whatever sounds good to you through your rig.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I'm pretty much with Darth on this except I run the bridge just a smidge higher and all my pole pieces are nearly a turn up with a little more slant to the p/up because I run the strings treble side lower and the bass side higher than most.

BBD

Reaction score
FWIW, I have low-wind OX4s in my R9 these days and they are at their best set fairly high up, like yours. The magnets are different (A4 rather than A3 for CBs) but the original CBs had a DCR of (N) 7.8 (B) 7.9 and the OX4s are (N) 7.1 (B) 7.74.

framos

Reaction score
Of course there is no rule, but IMO 1mm seems way too high for whatever PAF-style pickup.

I start with 3/32" on both sides for bridge and 3/32" treble 4/32" bass for neck pickup and adjust by ear from there.

But, as we know, the apple never falls far from the tree... in my experience I hardly ended up more than 1/32" away from this starting position, up or down.

jruano

Reaction score
Of course there is no rule, but IMO 1mm seems way too high for whatever PAF-style pickup.

I start with 3/32" on both sides for bridge and 3/32" treble 4/32" bass for neck pickup and adjust by ear from there.

But, as we know, the apple never falls far from the tree... in my experience I hardly ended up more than 1/32" away from this starting position, up or down.
Me neither. Till now.

AllmanFan

Reaction score
Mine are 8.01 and 7.95 so I run them considerably lower. I’ve found 2/32 at the bridge and 2/32 high e 5/64 low e at the neck works best for me.

I’m kind of jealous of your lower output pups. Very interested to hear how they’d sound.

BBD

Reaction score
7.3K on both here
Well, high-ish, then. I wouldn't worry about it too much, although I suppose you might have a dry solder at the connection to the jack socket, which would weaken your output signal.

BBD

Reaction score
I’m kind of jealous of your lower output pups. Very interested to hear how they’d sound.
Can't speak for the OP, of course, but to my ears, low output PAF clones have the vintage-y bite and definition that you don't get with hotter winds.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
copied and pasted....

Gibson recommends 1/16" (1.6 mm) for the bridge pickup and 3/32" (2.4 mm) for the neck

I usually set my humbuckers like this, than do any necessary tweaking by ear.

Note that the string has to be fretted at the last fret while taking your measurement. I measure the height from the screw polepiece to the bottom of the string.

framos

Reaction score
Me neither. Till now.
Still, at 1mm (0.5mm!!!) you´re adding tons of compression and probably messing with the guitar´s intonation.

But if that works for you, that´s what matters!

Last edited:

Latest Threads