Custombucker Measurement - Neck vs. Bridge

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I just received a new '22 R8. Slight damage in shipping so I am speaking to seller about it.
But the custombuckers read 7.0k exact in both neck and bridge. It wasnt listed as low wind and is not a Wildwood spec or S Bucker (CME). Sounds quite good but I thought I was getting the "normal" winds..

I'm not sure there is a "normal Custombucker" as they are all over the place in measurements and sound.

I'm still convinced that when a spool of wire runs out or breaks mid coil at Gibson, they just throw that coil in the "Custombucker / Signature Series" bin for production.

alane011

Reaction score
I'm not sure there is a "normal Custombucker" as they are all over the place in measurements and sound.

I'm still convinced that when a spool of wire runs out or breaks mid coil at Gibson, they just throw that coil in the "Custombucker / Signature Series" bin for production.
7.0k in the bridge seems lower than Ive seen folks posted even for the low wind CBs - its bright for sure but not thin so I am not sure what else is going on. I do think the neck at 7.0k is better than other CBs Ive tried.

1allspub

Reaction score
Bridge = higher is the “usual” nowadays... but by no means is it a hard and fast rule.

Why not try it both ways and stick with the way that sounds best?

vanguard

Reaction score
Paul Kossoff's burst was like 7.7k in the bridge and and 8.6k in the neck. Sounded pretty good!

The stock custombuckers in my '19 R9 both measured 8k on the dot. Terribly balanced. The neck was a muddy mess. Bridge sounded pretty good, but had that typical Gibson-made zing I don't like.

alane011

Reaction score
I wanted to try the narrow tall so I just sold my '21 R8 (59 wire) to a friend that had 8.22 bridge and 7.54 neck. My new '22 with the 7.0k neck and bridge has an insert that says it has "new historic spec wiring harness" whatever that means. I definitely like the 7.0k's better although I have to dial back a bit of bridge tone. Very clear and compelling. The 7.0 neck is pretty great. The 7.54 neck in my '21 was very muddy no matter what I did with pickup/pole height. I have a set of Doyle Coils that I was going to install but I think I will wait.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
My R9 has the lower wind in the neck. 8.05k neck, 8.08k bridge. :D

Latest Threads