Custom with maple neck?

cistec

Reaction score
would anybody buy a Black Custom late 70's with a maple neck? are they worth more than say a ebony neck or other..I have been offered one but it looks ...Odd! but maybe it my perception of a Black Beauty 57 RI which I own

Also what sort of price is a good one ..normal wear and tear unsure about repairs and original parts has OHSC...a players guitar..not collectable condition!

Also looking at a 71 Goldtop same as above ..any ideas on price?

Cheers guys

cistec

WoodyTone

Reaction score
You mean maple fingerboard -- tho it also could have a maple neck. These are less common but also less desirable. Play it first. They can sound thin, believe it or not.

BMS

Reaction score
You mean fretboard?

I'm not a maple fretboard fan on Les Pauls. Ebony for me.

cistec

Reaction score
sorry..Maple fretboard creamy colour

Xavier_32

Reaction score
Play it and see if it's something you'd like. Maple fretboards have a very bright sound, almost snappy. Personally, I dig ebony the most and find that maple is just too bright for me. However, that might not apply to you.

vortexx

Reaction score
Rosewood=warmer
Ebony=slightly brighter
Maple=very bright

DonP

Reaction score
It's not a good idea to buy a guitar hoping it will go up in value, but maple fretbards are kind of rare. If I were to buy it it would depend on how good the deal was. I have a 1977 Custom I bought a few years ago for $1366. All original except for pick guard and knobs. Can it beat that deal?

Gizzorge

Reaction score
why not get a Paul with all 3, like me!!! ;-) Ebony is my top choice though....

KSPaul

Reaction score
I'm quite pleased with my '68 RI Custom that has a 5-piece maple neck and an ebony fretboard.

Latest Threads