Custom Wiring Question.... Help Please!!!

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
I am starting a build and my Customer wants an unusual setup:
3 humbuckers Dimarzio Bridge: The Breed , Middle: Bluesbucker , Neck: Air Norton.
My question is he wants 1 Master volume and 3 separate tone controls w/ push pulls for coil splitting each one . Also it has a 5 way blade switch.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :wave:

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the design. It is a neck through 24 fret Strat style , Alder body Maple neck Ebony Fret board with his name inlaid in MOP , and some wood from BB Kings childhood home I am putting somewhere for some added Mojo :dude:
Thanks for any help on the wiring , I have some ideas but thought I would check here first! I have gotten a lot of good info here.
zachday07032012003.jpg

zachday07032012004.jpg

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
Piece o cake

now I'm talking about the hots only everything else is implied..
go directly to the tones first, ( of course do your coil tapping while your there) use a seperate cap to ground on each tone control for no interaction between them, then from the tones to the 5 way switch, then out to the master volume and then jack.

I thought you had a REAL problem.

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
Piece o cake

now I'm talking about the hots only everything else is implied..
go directly to the tones first, ( of course do your coil tapping while your there) use a seperate cap to ground on each tone control for no interaction between them, then from the tones to the 5 way switch, then out to the master volume and then jack.

I thought you had a REAL problem.

Thanks Bruce , I mocked up some old pots and caps and pups wired the way I was thinking and BAM worked like a champ. I wonder why I have never seen this config before? Its actually pretty cool .
Thanks for replying
Sometimes its too easy :thumb:

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
Thanks Bruce , I mocked up some old pots and caps and pups wired the way I was thinking and BAM worked like a champ. I wonder why I have never seen this config before? Its actually pretty cool .
Thanks for replying
Sometimes its too easy :thumb:
I guess it wasnt a REAL problem

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
I drew up a MSPaint file that shows the basic config.. now you could do some very nice stuff with the DPDT Push-pulls

like instead of Coil splitting.. you could series/parallel it for less of a volume drop AND still get the single coil tones WITH the added quietness of humbucking..

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
Thanks again Bruce , I had not thought of that at all . After I posted this I went to the shop grabbed up some parts and applied my ideas. My son told me I must have had a brain fart....lol Again thanks for the print and response , I really like this forum for all the help and ideas!

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
I will start a thread of this build , I know this is a Les Paul forum but I still post my builds

TKOjams

Reaction score
that a mighty big control cavity, is it surving as weight reduction as well?

zachday07032012004.jpg

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
that a mighty big control cavity, is it surving as weight reduction as well?

zachday07032012004.jpg
Yeah its big , just a preliminary drawing although we do want to reduce weight somewhat. Not 100% on the route yet maybe just a modified Strat route:hmm:

Latest Threads