Custom Shop Relic'ed Jr. fret overhang

Cmedcoff

Reaction score
I was in a local guitar shop just a few days ago. One of the guys at the store was unpacking some new guitars that had just come in. One was a Custom Shop Relic'ed Jr. It looked great and my son who was with me says "we've got to hear that". So the shop keeper took us over to their "amp room" and we plugged into some Orange amp as I asked for something with some "dirt'.

The neck felt thick, but probably something I could get used to, the action was quite decent. I was surprised how bright it sounded. I'm not sure I've ever tried a Jr. before, but all of the demo's I've seen left me with the impression that these were dark sounding guitars.The big surpirse was the amount of fret overhang. I only played for maybe 5 minutes and my hands already felt beat up. This was a $7000.00 guitar.

I understand if the goal was to come as close as possible to an original Jr, but should that include flaws? I suppose its possible that being in a cold climate the neck could have suffered some shrinkage moving from it's origin (Nashville?) to Detroit, but I 'm no sure I would have paid $700.00 for that guitar.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yes, there is no excuse for sharp, overhanging frets on A $7K guitar. I run into this problem sometimes on sub $1K guitars and quickly fix it with diamond files. But on a guitar as expensive as that Junior, it is unforgivable. As for the bright tone, that is to be expected, as the only pup is in the bridge position and was probably a P 90.

smk506

Reaction score
You need to mess with the controls on a Junior. They can do a lot but you have to make them do it.

Sounds like there was some wood shrinkage if all the frets were hanging over the board. Easy enough to fix but definitely annoying on a guitar of any price.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
You said the guitar was being unpacked as it just came in. Sounds like a good chance it was coming in from somewhere cold. In a week, the neck may then expand to remove a lot of the fret sprout. Just a thought ...

yamariv

Reaction score
Wood moves and the neck will narrow if it's in a dryer climate than when it was made at the Gibson factory. This is something easily fixed by the dealer after its acclimatized. No big deal and nothing Gibson did wrong.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
put it in the case with a humidifier [or just a damp paper towel in an open baggie ], the wood will swell back up just fine.I have to do that to my guitars after a long winter with the house getting so dry from the furnace heat.

Dilver

Reaction score
Fret sprout? That could happen on any guitar with a temp/humidity change during transport. It’s neither the manufacturer or dealer’s fault and it’s a simple easy fix. And you did say, they just got it in. You shouldn’t judge a guitar on fret sprout.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LtDave32 can build a spec on Junior without the issues or that stupid price... or buy the real deal for jeebus sake.

A Gibson brand new Custom Shop Junior for 7000 dollars is beyond stupid... it’s criminal. Fret sprout on top is just sand on the anus. Even a sucker needs to be sweet.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
@LtDave32 can build a spec on Junior without the issues or that stupid price... or buy the real deal for jeebus sake.

A Gibson brand new Custom Shop Junior for 7000 dollars is beyond stupid... it’s criminal. Fret sprout on top is just sand on the anus. Even a sucker needs to be sweet.

Truth.

mjross

Reaction score
You said the guitar was being unpacked as it just came in. Sounds like a good chance it was coming in from somewhere cold. In a week, the neck may then expand to remove a lot of the fret sprout. Just a thought ...
I’ve had this happen, temps (and humidity) can make a difference!

mjross

Reaction score

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Frets aside......a custom shop junior is $7000 ???? WTF
"Relic"... which these days are from the "Murphy Lab"
You pay for the name.
A non-relic Custom Shop '57 reissue Junior is $4k
Production model Gibson-USA is $1600

The Murphy Juniors start at $4800 for the lightly aged, $7k for "heavy" aged, and the "Ultra Heavy" LPJRDC is $8700

mjross

Reaction score
"Relic"... which these days are from the "Murphy Lab"
You pay for the name.
A non-relic Custom Shop '57 reissue Junior is $4k
Production model Gibson-USA is $1600

The Murphy Juniors start at $4800 for the lightly aged, $7k for "heavy" aged, and the "Ultra Heavy" LPJRDC is $8700
I posted one of the $8700 ones above, unbephucking believable!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I posted one of the $8700 ones above, unbephucking believable!
They really are.
Price aside, they are beautiful.
I have absolutely no regrets about my R4 (non-Murphy).
If I were to pick up an R9, the cost difference between the "virgin" and the lower level Murphy is not that much.

But I agree with Mud... for something like the Junior, Dave can do better than Gibson for less than the CS price, and you can have TV yellow or "doghair" black... or a burst.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I don’t understand why people are charged $thousands more for a relic job on a perfectly good new guitar. Guitars that are really played relic themselves, lightly, over time. Many of us try our best to keep them looking like new. I have a 62 year old Gibson that looks pretty much like new from two feet away. I like it that way. But those who want a relic job on their new guitars shouldn’t be ripped off.

mjross

Reaction score
They really are.
Price aside, they are beautiful.
I have absolutely no regrets about my R4 (non-Murphy).
If I were to pick up an R9, the cost difference between the "virgin" and the lower level Murphy is not that much.

But I agree with Mud... for something like the Junior, Dave can do better than Gibson for less than the CS price, and you can have TV yellow or "doghair" black... or a burst.
I’m diggin those alligator cases! Wonder if Gibson is selling them? I’ve seen them supplied with some of Gibsons guitars but I’ve never seen one for sale! Is it just a Murphy Lab thing?

mjross

Reaction score
I don’t understand why people are charged $thousands more for a relic job on a perfectly good new guitar. Guitars that are really played relic themselves, lightly, over time. Many of us try our best to keep them looking like new. I have a 62 year old Gibson that looks pretty much like new from two feet away. I like it that way. But those who want a relic job on their new guitars shouldn’t be ripped off.
Hear what you’re saying and I get it! I felt the same for a long time but decided to see for myself what all the excitement was about, or not. I payed pretty good coin for my HM Brazilian and I do not regret it at all. The guitar just has a special feel to it and plays and sounds fantastic. To me, it feels like what I’d imagine an old ‘59 might feel like. However, since I’m a lefty I’ll never know.

I really wish I would have had the money in my younger days to have purchased a nice Les Paul. After 55+ years of gigging it would be a real badge of honor I imagine. I guess for some of us old timers the relic guitars are the next best thing. It’s all good…play what you like!

Last edited:

Latest Threads