Custom Shop pickup rings

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Howcum CS rings are taller than regular rings? Does it have to do with neck angle?

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Dont all Gibson lps have the traditional neck angle these days or am I mistaken?

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
The rings are the historic height. The modern ones (at least through 2016...) are shorter. It seems very minor, but I'm hooked on the taller rings. The pickups sit in them much more level with the top of the ring, AND I love the the extra meat on the ring to anchor my pinkie on when I am playing lead. Bad habit I know, but it's my happy place, and it's oh so comfy!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
The rings are the historic height. The modern ones (at least through 2016...) are shorter. It seems very minor, but I'm hooked on the taller rings. The pickups sit in them much more level with the top of the ring, AND I love the the extra meat on the ring to anchor my pinkie on when I am playing lead. Bad habit I know, but it's my happy place, and it's oh so comfy!
Cool info and I rest my pinkie under the pickup so who cares if its bad form,, I like playing with my thumb too so boil me alive i play better and it sounds better to me :thumb: :thumb::thumb:

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Guess I'll just get used to it. Got another question: How do I get the neck PU to sit level in the ring? When I installed a set of Godwoods, the pickups just wouldn't sit level.

Do I have to bend the feet?

ARandall

Reaction score
The pickup legs, or the drilling/thread tapping of the screw hole, or the screws could be the culprit. The pickup should sit comfortably flat in the ring if all is made accurately

The tall rings are how they were originally.......the pickups tend to sit flush to the top.
More modern rings are lower. I think this might have been due to the shallower carve that was introduced in the 70's and stayed that way until just the last couple of years in the USA line, or maybe the fact that the rings tended to crack after they changed the plastic formula. Lower rings bend easier.

MSB

Reaction score
tall rings just look so much better

its the one thing I've never been able to get over with Gibsons

smk506

Reaction score
Guess I'll just get used to it. Got another question: How do I get the neck PU to sit level in the ring? When I installed a set of Godwoods, the pickups just wouldn't sit level.

Do I have to bend the feet?
Wedge it into place with a packing peanut.