Custom Shop LP 1997?

overton

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1997 Custom Shop Les Paul. I've not yet gotten my hands on it nor do I have many specifics. What would have been the spec's for a Les Paul in 1997. Neck profile? Pickups? Tuners? etc. The top is Burlwood and I think it's quite a beautiful top. It also has a Custom Shop Logo on the headstock. It's not any kind of a re-issue or historic as far as I know.

Thanks,
G.O.

Attachments

Guido

The Gweeeed
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that is has grover tuners

Red&Die

Reaction score
The first version of the Les Paul Elegant Custom Shop.

overton

Reaction score
I found out what they called this beast! Les Paul Elegant

The Les Paul Elegant is features great looks and tone. The body is made from mahogany with a triple-A grade maple top. There are open cavities in the body to reduce its weight while at the same time increasing its resonance. They are called dynamic chambers and help to increase the guitar's interaction with the amp. This is similar to a certain degree with what happens with semi-hollow or hollow body guitars but at a much subtler level. The maple top with its transparent finishes gives a deep glow as well as the highly figured wood grain. You'll find white-black multi-ply binding on the top and bottom of the body. The bridge is a classic Tune-O-Matic O-matic with a stopbar tailpiece.

The 24.7 5 inch scale length neck is made from a single piece of mahogany. It has an ebony fretboard with 22 frets with white binding around the neck. The binding also matches the pickup covers and 3-way pickup selector label. One interesting thing about this guitar is its compound radius fretboard. The fretboard at the first fret is flatter and gradually becomes rounder as you get towards the 12th fret. This allows for easier access to the upper registers while lead playing at the same time leaving the lower registers more adapted to chordal playing. The neck also has a long tenon to increase its connection to the body. The trapezoidal inlays are made of abalone and add a bit of 'elegance' to the already great looking guitar.

The pickups and electronics are all Gibson. It has the traditional two volume and two tone controls (one for each pickup) with a 3-way pickup selector wired: neck, neck+bridge, bridge. The pickups themselves have that great vintage sound. They are the '57 Classic humbuckers which are replicas of the PAF (Patent Applied For) pickups found on the late 50's Gibsons. The '57 classic has a full rich and has enough to give it plenty of crunch. These pickups have Alnico II magnets and use vintage style enamel coated wire. The covers like the rest of the guitar's hardware is nickel plated (chrome) for years of wear.

Features

single piece mahogany back
Carved figured maple top
single-piece mahogany neck
Cream binding on body and neck
Nickel hardware
Tune-O-Matic o-matic bridge
'57 Classic humbuckers
Two volume knobs
Two tone knobs
Three-way selector switch
abalone trapezoid inlays
Dynamic chambers in body

Olli

Reaction score
I dig the abalone inlays.

If there´s one thing I like about the PRS Guitars it is the abalone birds. They are simply cool.
Might get one just for the sake of having the birds.

Latest Threads