Custom "homemade" refinishes.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs in the luthiers corner or not, but this seemed like the right place. I wanna see some metal flakes, some candies, some metallics, even some gold or silver flake with airbrush lowrider candy going on with a touch of pinstripe. Anything else will also be appreciated! After all, I want some inspiration. Tired of the same old finishes. Not to say that tobacco burst or heritage cherry is BAD, but I just feel like it's all anyone sees in a Les Paul. How bout Brad Paisley's custom teles? Or buck Owens tele? Hell, even Tom delonge had some cool signatures out. Not to say he's bad. I really like some of his stuff, but it's just not someone you'd EXPECT right off the bat to have a cool line of guitars. Heres what I did with some gold metal flake (store bought "glitter"). Me and my grandfather (mentioned in a couple threads) simply brushed on some poly a few inches at a time, dusted the flake of with a salt n pepper shaker, and repeated until we got enough to go around the sides, plus extra coats to cover up the binding from showing through. Here it is.

Screenshot_20201024-193748~3.png

This is just an old picture. Right after the finish was done, but BEFORE it had parts replaced.
ALRIGHT GO!!!!! I WANNA SEE SOMEEEEE

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
I would call these unconventional.

A "Golden Wolf" finish.

Metallic sparkle grainfill, on a metallic bronze base coat.

Below is metallic silver brushed over dark brown stain, then gently aged and clearcoated.

Below was a complicated process involving sign vinyl used as a mask layer, quite a lot of dremel work and a couple of paint layers.

A tweaked fabric finish... with a black metallic burst toner-coated with tinted shellac to give the metallic a gold/brassy sparkle.

This badassled thing I don't talk about much. It was a lot of fun for a couple years, since reversed.
Boy was it blingy!

Next in line, now on the bench. Now, simply metallic silver-painted, getting rough-fitted. Planning for a special paisley I haven't seen attempted. Waiting on materials.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Wow! All of ‘em above. Nice work! If guitars and parts weren’t so pricey I’d try my hand at that stuff.
You realize what forum you are on, right? :rofl:

The first guitar was a $50 pawn shop rescue. I agree though, sometimes it's just best to buy what you want or hire it out. It does get more comfortable the more times you do it, but every project seems to have small battles which emerge.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I would call these unconventional.

A "Golden Wolf" finish.

Metallic sparkle grainfill, on a metallic bronze base coat.

Below is metallic silver brushed over dark brown stain, then gently aged and clearcoated.

Below was a complicated process involving sign vinyl used as a mask layer, quite a lot of dremel work and a couple of paint layers.

A tweaked fabric finish... with a black metallic burst toner-coated with tinted shellac to give the metallic a gold/brassy sparkle.

This badassled thing I don't talk about much. It was a lot of fun for a couple years, since reversed.
Boy was it blingy!

Next in line, now on the bench. Now, simply metallic silver-painted, getting rough-fitted. Planning for a special paisley I haven't seen attempted. Waiting on materials.

Ok the Paisley was definitely something I'd never seen in a wallpaper/fabric finish before. Usually I'm not into the mostly dark look, but that was incredible! Never seen the gold wolf before. That definitely amazed me. So unique man like seriously. That metallic tele was almost like a dull clear glass and looked so futuristic, but medeival at the same time. And that Les Paul? Instantly thought of kiss. Almost definite ace would've taken that thing had he known about it. Incredible man. More out of one guy than I expected out of an entire forum. Thank you for absolutely making my day. I Definitely have a ton more inspirational creativity!

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
Well it's still a boring old finish I guess but it's definitely homemade. Rattle can job by yours truly on my 2012 Traditional. There is barely anything original left on this one. Still has a red back so definitely a little rare I guess as far as goldtops go. Man I do not envy the binding scrapers at Gibson, I almost pulled my hair out.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Well it's still a boring old finish I guess but it's definitely homemade. Rattle can job by yours truly on my 2012 Traditional. There is barely anything original left on this one. Still has a red back so definitely a little rare I guess as far as goldtops go. Man I do not envy the binding scrapers at Gibson, I almost pulled my hair out.

Beautiful. It is metallic and mirror reflective at the same time. Metallic coats take patience and you my friend have it. Beautiful.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Several years ago I refinished the neck of my old 92 in white just with spray cans . The nitro formula seems right and it has aged nicely:

Now THAT is awesome. That look like the perfect contrast up against the stainded red body. Matches the binding perfectly. Gibson should do a run of this finish. I would buy!!! And I NEVER buy guitars brand new. Well done. You have discovered something awesome!

NINFNM

Reaction score
Now THAT is awesome. That look like the perfect contrast up against the stainded red body. Matches the binding perfectly. Gibson should do a run of this finish. I would buy!!! And I NEVER buy guitars brand new. Well done. You have discovered something awesome!

Thanks mate. Despite how irreverent it is, it is surprising that people often like it

kakerlak

Reaction score
Thanks mate. Despite how irreverent it is, it is surprising that people often like it
It's cool because, with the yellowing, it looks like a maple neck natural finish Norlin. Always love the stuff that makes you go "hey, wait a minute!"

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Am working on a cheap one now, and considering a "craft store" finish using thinned artist's watercolor paint for stain and decoupage finish coats. Compatibility is no issue, since water-based stains stay in the wood and don't bleed into clear top coats. Also like the fact that there will be no spraying and no nasty fumes.

Ages ago, in 1986, I refinished a Les Paul Deluxe using water stain and Krylon Krystal Klear sprayed from aerosol cans. Did not have brown stain for the back and neck, so I borrowed my wife's food coloring and made brown by mixing green and red!

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Am working on a cheap one now, and considering a "craft store" finish using thinned artist's watercolor paint for stain and decoupage finish coats. Compatibility is no issue, since water-based stains stay in the wood and don't bleed into clear top coats. Also like the fact that there will be no spraying and no nasty fumes.

Ages ago, in 1986, I refinished a Les Paul Deluxe using water stain and Krylon Krystal Klear sprayed from aerosol cans. Did not have brown stain for the back and neck, so I borrowed my wife's food coloring and made brown by mixing green and red!
Excellent my friend! We need more creativity like this. I otta try that out myself as well. Keep us posted!

Latest Threads