Custom built telecaster neck alignment. Po

p90rules

Reaction score
So I'm eying up this custom built Telecaster and I'm a bit curious about the neck alignment. Please look at the pictures... Is this a more serious alignment problem or something a bridge / saddle adjustment would sort out.
Cheers guys
IMG_20200801_151652.jpg
IMG_20200801_151525.jpg

monty john

Reaction score
needs a different bridge me thinks....the strings go over the left of the screws

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I'm eying up this custom built Telecaster and I'm a bit curious about the neck alignment. Please look at the pictures... Is this a more serious alignment problem or something a bridge / saddle adjustment would sort out.
Cheers guys
View attachment 479696View attachment 479697
Ay-yi-yi..

One thing that would help right off the bat would be to pop that low E and A over to the other side of the saddle screw.

Proper way to re-fit this would be to take the bridge off.

Get some string (use thin elastic cord from the sewing section at Wal Mart or a fabrics store), tape the ends securely behind the nut . put the strings in the nut slots, tape the other ends of the string to behind the bridge.

Move the bridge laterally back and forth to achieve the best alignment. Mark the position, and mark each new string thru hole in the bridge plate.

Plug the string thru holes on the top with 1/8" dowel.

Drill down on the new marks, all the way down. Use a stout bit, not a brad-point on this. Make a good dent first with an awl.
Brad point bits that small tend to flex, and drilling through will flex the brad point bit and it will skew the hole off of where yo u want to go. With the stouter bit, drill down a tiny amount at a time. you do not want a bit that thin to meet resistance and wander.

You should hit close enough to the old ferrule holes in the back to work okay.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
That neck may well be out of alignment too. If that's the case, a bit of a larger rout, just a tiny amount will give you more room to move the neck side to side and get things aligned. You of course will have to plug all holes in the neck bottom and re-drill, but it won't show.

Paul46

Reaction score
It may just need a neck adjustment. Loosen the neck screws about half a turn and shunt the neck over. I've needed to do this to more Teles and Strats than I can remember.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
It may just need a neck adjustment. Loosen the neck screws about half a turn and shunt the neck over. I've needed to do this to more Teles and Strats than I can remember.
This... maybe.
Flip it over (strings facing you) in your lap, loosen the neck bolts, punch down on the body while holding the neck up with your left hand, then while holding tension on the body with an elbow, tighten the screws.

But I honestly don't think that'll be enough. I suspect that is simply the wrong bridge.
Standard Tele has three intonation screws on saddles that span 2 strings... compensated saddles are available.
MiM and import Tele's have Strat-style blocks that feed the strings in line with the intonation screws. Not traditional, but more accurate.

These are compensated saddles...

TeleBody.jpg

Saddles.jpg

Latest Threads