Custom Buckers vs Custom Buckers

LtKojak

Reaction score
Yeah, Yasuhiko was explicit about that. It was really the main selling point of the pickups , really. Somewhere on a HD I may have an old spredsheet of specs.
Great! I'd really appreciate the opportunity of taking a peek of those specs. If by any reason you don't feel comfortable with make'em public, just PM me. Your secret will be safe with me. Pinky swear! ;)

Dazza

Reaction score
There's a YouTube video with a Japanese tour group through Gibson factories. At the pickup winding station they're told how the BB offset wind favour the slug coil while CB favour the screw coil. I'd not heard/read that before. I think I recall it that way round. Apologies if I'm backwards.

Daz

Bluefox

Reaction score
There's a YouTube video with a Japanese tour group through Gibson factories. At the pickup winding station they're told how the BB offset wind favour the slug coil while CB favour the screw coil. I'd not heard/read that before. I think I recall it that way round. Apologies if I'm backwards.

Daz
I've measured several Burstbuckers and didn't find any offset.

LtKojak

Reaction score
I've measured several Burstbuckers and didn't find any offset.
Neither did I, and I can attest for at least a couple dozen. Another case of suit vs. designer? Looking at Gibson's p'up production workflow, winding different counts for different bobbins would call for increased administrative control and human intervention, hence increasing production cost... and we all know how suits think about "details", don't we?

Antigua

Reaction score
I'm curious as well. People raved about how airy and single coil like their burstbuckers sounded. Lol the irony
The pro audio market, of which I feel Gibson should probably be lumped in, relies heavily on the power of suggestion, as it relates to hearing. Tone is so complex that many things can be said about a given tone, with nothing being untrue or contradictory. So long as a pickup has a modestly high resonant peak, someone can say it has a "airy, single coil sound" and they wouldn't be wrong.

Last edited:

LtKojak

Reaction score

Daz
Would you be so kind to post a link to it? I haven't been able to find it. Pretty please...?

Dazza

Reaction score
I'm on my phone and pretty sure it's this one.
Yep. About 3/4 in there's talk of pots and pickups.
Daz

Last edited:

LtKojak

Reaction score
Thank you Daz! Much appreciated!

Yours very truly,

Saiko

Reaction score
So, in other words, the Custombuckers, '59 tributes and '61 humbuckers could be the same or very similar pickups with different magnets...

Dazza

Reaction score
So, in other words, the Custombuckers, '59 tributes and '61 humbuckers could be the same or very similar pickups with different magnets...
I wonder that even slight variations in construction (ie wind pattern) can make a noticeable difference. Perhaps more so than a magnet swap.
The Warren Haynes 335 model has Burstbuckers. These don't sound much like the BBs I had in late 2000s Historic LPs or else they'd be out. They share more common traits to CBs so something has changed in the way theyre made.

Daz

grayd8

Reaction score
I've had the same pickups sound incredibly different in different guitars......and the is the same pickup pair swapped so not just 2 supposedly same models too.
Same here. I have a set of Ox4 low winds that were just overpowering in my R8, dropped them in my SG and I had to swap the mags to A5’s to get enough output.

The guitar itself brings a lot to the table.

Saiko

Reaction score
I wonder that even slight variations in construction (ie wind pattern) can make a noticeable difference. Perhaps more so than a magnet swap.
The Warren Haynes 335 model has Burstbuckers. These don't sound much like the BBs I had in late 2000s Historic LPs or else they'd be out. They share more common traits to CBs so something has changed in the way theyre made.

Daz
You might be onto something; I've heard a few people say that they like the newer Burstbuckers (2012 and later) way better than the older ones and a lot of people also say that older '57 Classics sound much better than newer ones. I can't say that I have tried enough of either to make a determination but I really like Burstbuckers and their variants. (Custombuckers, '59s, '61s)

My Les Paul Classifieds