Current production P90 specs (USA Original Collection) - anyone know?

roberty

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently got a 2020 Gibson USA Original Collection Les Paul Special and I am confused about the specs of the pickups.

They measure at 7.35k bridge and 8.03k neck. Assuming the same magnets and wire gauge is used for both units, it would seem these would balance perfectly in the opposite position. For this reason I am entertaining the idea of swapping them.

I removed the pickups and they are labelled with stickers, 7.35k lead and 8.03k rhythm. Perhaps they have been mislabelled.

The Gibson website says only "P90" in the technical specification for both pickups on this model. I have emailed their support but have not heard back from them after a week. Meanwhile my guitar is sitting in pieces

Does anyone know what the specs are for these? I would be interested to know how other people's measure

Thanks in advance :)

PS the guitar is wonderful, lightweight, nice grain, no factory flaws, definitely a keeper

Last edited:

endial

Reaction score
Personally, I'd flip 'em. I have no idea if that has any effect on the hum-cancelling of the two when in the middle position (I just don't get that reverse winding stuff, as I'm a dolt when it comes to electronics). Have you tried just lowering the neck and raising the bridge to balance?

I actually chimed in more to tell you THAT GUITAR IS GORGEOUS.

Enjoy. Someone will be along who knows more.

ARandall

Reaction score
For one, DC resistance isn't output.
There are all sorts of things about the variability of wire, to the tension, to the pattern that affect DC and don't do so to output - or indeed the other way around.

P90's don't really care about position, or indeed orientation. You can simply wire them up the same way they are now to the relative volume pots and they will work the same way they do now.
The stumbling block you'll have if you want to do a swap is that typically the bridge pickup wire is cut too short to reach the cavity if you install it in the neck slot.

roberty

Reaction score
Wires are the same length on both pickups so all good there. The reason I am asking for specs is so I can be sure whether the 8.3k pickup is the hotter of the two or not

roberty

Reaction score
No pics of the Ohm readings and the labels on the pickups? I mean, are we just supposed to trust you? o_O

:photos:
Not sure if you're joking or not. Slightly different reading on the 'rhythm' pickup today

The bridge pickup was noticeably weaker than the neck pickup even after some fairly radical height adjustment. This is not my preference

roberty

Reaction score
Ideally if other owners of this model have measurements I would be interested to know them

ARandall

Reaction score
Typically p90's have only had 1 model.
You cannot be sure that the higher K version has more output. But nominally all things being equal you'd expect more turns of wire on the bobbin to be the cause of the reading.
The only way you'll know is to fit them with the neck one refitted into the bridge and see how they sound....its the way the rest of us have to do it too.

roberty

Reaction score
Typically p90's have only had 1 model.
You cannot be sure that the higher K version has more output. But nominally all things being equal you'd expect more turns of wire on the bobbin to be the cause of the reading.
The only way you'll know is to fit them with the neck one refitted into the bridge and see how they sound....its the way the rest of us have to do it too.
I assume these pickups are machine wound and therefore consistent. I'm interested in other people's readings. Bridge is typically 10% hotter in matched pairs

mdubya

Reaction score
Ideally if other owners of this model have measurements I would be interested to know them
I have a 2019 in TV Yellow. It was near perfect out of the box.

I have multiple Gibson P-90 guitars and had no idea they were making bridge and neck specs for P-90s now. Previously they were (almost) all 8kOhms, with no bridge or neck orientation. Just dial in the heights until they balance.

Pics or shens...

Dearly departed...

The ES 330 has underwound P90s with A2 magnets. I had to shim the neck pickup higher on that one.

Next time I remove the strings on the Special, I will try to remember to check the pickups for stickers on the underside.

It looks like you already have the pickups out of the guitar. Might as well go ahead and swap them. :yesway:

Saiko

Reaction score
If you like it, leave it alone. I've been through this with '57 classics in my LP Traditional and P90's in my LP Special and I can tell you that the small differences in DC resistance will not matter any more than simply adjusting the pickup height in regards to a pickup's output in a given pickup position. Nice guitar!

ARandall

Reaction score
I assume these pickups are machine wound and therefore consistent. I'm interested in other people's readings. Bridge is typically 10% hotter in matched pairs
Practically all pickups are machine wound. Duncan typically expects a range of 10% of nominal K reading as being typical variance (so 5% either way of centre). Gibson p90's don't have a typical spec, but approx 8k is where we've found most of them sit

roberty

Reaction score
Practically all pickups are machine wound. Duncan typically expects a range of 10% of nominal K reading as being typical variance (so 5% either way of centre). Gibson p90's don't have a typical spec, but approx 8k is where we've found most of them sit
Good to know thanks. Given 5% variance either way and with all else being equal it would seem likely that the pickup with the higher resistance reading is slightly hotter

Loving the p90 pr0n @Leee and @mdubya

I don't know why Gibson stopped giving such detailed specs on their website. The 2016 SG Standard P90 has very precise resistance readings for the bridge and neck pickup positions http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/SG-Standard-P-90.aspx Interesting that the rhythm pickup measures slightly higher on DC

Last edited:

Olivil

Reaction score
I don't know why Gibson stopped giving such detailed specs on their website. The 2016 SG Standard P90 has very precise resistance readings for the bridge and neck pickup positions http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/SG-Standard-P-90.aspx Interesting that the rhythm pickup measures slightly higher on DC
My guess is those are so precise that they must be engineering design values. Probably shot themselves in the foot with people comparing their actual values and running to customer support. Keep in mind that since the pickup is connected to the pot, the harness has a (small) effect on your measurement. Still, those specs are really useful years later to know what you actually have!

Latest Threads