Current pricing of R8, R9 up a lot lately?

Harley90

Reaction score
Any ideas as to why R8's and R9's have gotten so high lately?
Just a while back R8, R9's were starting from 2500 or so for plain tops, 3000 for flame.
Now it looks like 3000+ to start, flames starting higher but not many available in the low 4000s
Even R7's were 2200-2400, now starting at 2700 or so.

What's got the market moving? Any thoughts on where it's headed, or just a temporary bump?

Last edited:

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
I guess its becouse of the new CS line thats awsome and the new direction that Gibson has taken. People again started to believe in Gibson as a brand which is a great thing. But one thing I dont understand - for example - how can an R8 or R9 from 2007 be the same price as 2017 models? Thats a 10 year gap.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Where are you getting the "lately" part from? Most people have been asking for what you deemed as high for numerous years now.

Generally speaking, used prices tend to go up when new prices do.

eeprete

Reaction score
When walking into a Guitar Center or Sam Ash and they see the current lineup commanding 6000-9000, then the ask more for used. Basic economics. Whether anyone is selling at those prices, I am unsure. I am shopping for an R9 or stellar R8 now, and there's not a lot to choose from under 4.....

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Any ideas as to why R8's and R9's have gotten so high lately?
Just a while back R8, R9's were starting from 2500 or so for plain tops, 3000 for flame.
Now it looks like 3000+ to start, flames starting higher but not many available in the low 4000s
Even R7's were 2200-2400, now starting at 2700 or so.

What's got the market moving? Any thoughts on where it's headed, or just a temporary bump?
Where are you getting your info? Are you talking U.S. dollars? As for R7's, they are still SELLING in the $2200-$2400 range. Don't confuse asking price with selling price.

As far as R8's and 9's.....show me any R9 for $2500 that hasn't suffered a broken head stock, and I'll buy it. They have never sold that low as a rule. Any R9 from any year with any top is going to be 3k+. Recent year R8's with a flame top, $3,000-$3,200 is current market value for used. Recent year (13 and up) R9's with a decent top, those are selling for $3,500-$4,500, depending on top.

Harley90

Reaction score
"I don't recall too many R9s only pulling in $2500, at any point. They've always been pricier than R8s."
Yes, I shouldn't have lumped them together, R9's usually more than R8's, min difference 500 ish

"how can an R8 or R9 from 2007 be the same price as 2017 models?"
I can see older guitars being sought after, like in standards I prefer early 90's models above many others....collect them all, old wood. played in, natural patina, little differences... that kinda thing.

"used prices tend to go up when new prices do"
Not a straight line but generally speaking, limited supply maybe adding to the rise.

"Whether anyone is selling at those prices, I am unsure."
I have been watching the market as a buyer and seller, R models specifically for maybe 8 years or so. I'm seeing sales at the higher entry price R models ( plain top R8's, R7's) happening. Great examples of higher models popping off as well.

Again just looking to get opinions an the R market pricing, sales. Is this a short squeeze or long term trend?
I'm thinking a combination of all of the above and Gibson's new man at the helm could make the brand rise, creating good bit more demand. The only deals I see are moderate flame Rs but still pricey, Plain tops I've seen go up the most as a percentage. R7's a close 2nd. Not watching the higher end as much but most desirable models are at all time highs and there is a very healthy market. My info is mostly gathered from the typical online used sales sources, the bay, the verb, a few dealers, used pricing at the 2 major retailers that sell used online, several forums and some craigslist sampling...all sources I routinely buy from. Not stating facts just my observations.
Just my opinion, looking for others.

Last edited:

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the crazy not knowing period of 2015-2017-ish is over and things are pretty steady. Not sure if they're back to the overproduction of 2014 or not, but seems steady.

cmcgov

Reaction score
The asking price is quite high on a lot of gibson reissue guitars listed online. This subject matter is very touchy as a lot of people buy a few or a number of guitars each year; then resell them here after picking the best one. Very common to be off loading parts and obtaining vintage correct upgrades after they've learned about their reissue model and what each year provides. Also there are a lot of active members here whom also work at guitar shops or are dealers themselves.

These people actively want prices to stay high and to be advertised as high. The uninformed or normal buyer, will accept this as market and real value then pay as such.

Talking with the seller or dealer about price is very important, building a relationship with a seller or dealer over time with many guitars will get you ahead of others. You will find that you will settle for a different price than what's listed online. Having that inititive or relationship can serve to save you thousands.

Special runs and unique specc'd reissue R8's and R9's from different guitar stores or dealers, hold no additional value to the used market from what I've seen. The unique higher priced guitars are only Brazilian rosewood fretboard guitars and signed or limited first runs of models in the CC line. Some will say normal CC models are in this catagory, but we've come to learn quite a bit in the past few years of repurposed CC's sold as R9's, so there really isn't anything special with these guitars compared to the normal R8 or R9.

I've seen brand new 2019 R9's going for just under 4700.00 online and I've seem them listed brand new for 6499.99. Same with recent model year 2017 and 2018 model R9's and R8's going for under 4000.00, some of which sold during that models year.

The high priced reissues you see are quite usually for sale for a long period of time, averaging over 8 months. That's almost the entire model year considering it takes a few months for the new models to hit stores and get to dealers. There is never a shortage of NOS last year models for reissues, especially R8's and R9's. No shortage of manufacturing in sight.

Another subjective matter about pricing is the top and color. Some people will not value R9's the same based on top and color. Regardless of specs, feel, and sound.

The lowest any year any top R9 I've seen sell is for 2700.00: http://tinyurl.com/yxz7tm7u There are many other sites, sold listings, best offer accepted, and offline situations which we don't know about. One could speculate.

Regarding the plain top's you remember, that's correct, they were usually R8's from 2003-2010 (obviously with some specific examples not being plain tops during these years). This is where you get the most for the money.

If big tops aren't your priority then the R8's are your market, the plain ones go for even less. There are even spec'd R8's with R9 necks and frets, very common to have R9 necks on 2014-2018 R8's. So the difference could truly be only cosmetic based on what guitar you're talking about, even still there are specific examples of R8's that have great flame. That makes it so the only true difference is the serial number and stamp in the control caviety.

Recently, from 2018, R8's now have a thinner vintage style fret rather than the medium jumbo. So going forward this and possibly the neck shape (changes very often, lots of dealer specific specs as well) will be the only major difference in feel and style.

The percived bump is a bit of a bubble and people wanting to take advantage listing their older model guitars for sale while the new 2019 specs are quite hot. Someone who see's 6499.99 for 2019 but see's a few years older model for 4500.00, may opt for that. Especially when they're an uninformed buyer who just plays. Feels like a short squeeze.

Here is some recent general reading about the subject matter. You'll see usual suspects. I've posted lots of information and examples in these threads.
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/what-would-you-expect-to-pay.423496/
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/price-check-2007-57-reissue-vos-goldtop.421864/
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/why-its-so-complicated-2017-gibson-reissues.423048/
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/new-member-help.423291/

And here are older threads with the same subject matter. The topic goes on and on.
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/reissue-prices.342968/
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/2015-historic-pricing.314387/

Best of luck in your search if you're in the market. Take your time, and talk to the seller and dealers. Shop around for quotes in different parts of the country. Remember, there are no rules on price, just like music.

rogue3

Reaction score
Generally here, 8-10 year old Plaintop R8's are selling for more than they cost to buy, at that time.How much more depends on how fast you want to sell them.If they are particularly clean and resonant,priced 25% more than what you paid,they go quite quickly.

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
The asking price is quite high on a lot of gibson reissue guitars listed online. This subject matter is very touchy as a lot of people buy a few or a number of guitars each year; then resell them here after picking the best one. Very common to be off loading parts and obtaining vintage correct upgrades after they've learned about their reissue model and what each year provides. Also there are a lot of active members here whom also work at guitar shops or are dealers themselves.

These people actively want prices to stay high and to be advertised as high. The uninformed or normal buyer, will accept this as market and real value then pay as such.

Talking with the seller or dealer about price is very important, building a relationship with a seller or dealer over time with many guitars will get you ahead of others. You will find that you will settle for a different price than what's listed online. Having that inititive or relationship can serve to save you thousands.

Special runs and unique specc'd reissue R8's and R9's from different guitar stores or dealers, hold no additional value to the used market from what I've seen. The unique higher priced guitars are only Brazilian rosewood fretboard guitars and signed or limited first runs of models in the CC line. Some will say normal CC models are in this catagory, but we've come to learn quite a bit in the past few years of repurposed CC's sold as R9's, so there really isn't anything special with these guitars compared to the normal R8 or R9.

I've seen brand new 2019 R9's going for just under 4700.00 online and I've seem them listed brand new for 6499.99. Same with recent model year 2017 and 2018 model R9's and R8's going for under 4000.00, some of which sold during that models year.

The high priced reissues you see are quite usually for sale for a long period of time, averaging over 8 months. That's almost the entire model year considering it takes a few months for the new models to hit stores and get to dealers. There is never a shortage of NOS last year models for reissues, especially R8's and R9's. No shortage of manufacturing in sight.

Another subjective matter about pricing is the top and color. Some people will not value R9's the same based on top and color. Regardless of specs, feel, and sound.

The lowest any year any top R9 I've seen sell is for 2700.00: http://tinyurl.com/yxz7tm7u There are many other sites, sold listings, best offer accepted, and offline situations which we don't know about. One could speculate.

Regarding the plain top's you remember, that's correct, they were usually R8's from 2003-2010 (obviously with some specific examples not being plain tops during these years). This is where you get the most for the money.

If big tops aren't your priority then the R8's are your market, the plain ones go for even less. There are even spec'd R8's with R9 necks and frets, very common to have R9 necks on 2014-2018 R8's. So the difference could truly be only cosmetic based on what guitar you're talking about, even still there are specific examples of R8's that have great flame. That makes it so the only true difference is the serial number and stamp in the control caviety.

Recently, from 2018, R8's now have a thinner vintage style fret rather than the medium jumbo. So going forward this and possibly the neck shape (changes very often, lots of dealer specific specs as well) will be the only major difference in feel and style.

The percived bump is a bit of a bubble and people wanting to take advantage listing their older model guitars for sale while the new 2019 specs are quite hot. Someone who see's 6499.99 for 2019 but see's a few years older model for 4500.00, may opt for that. Especially when they're an uninformed buyer who just plays. Feels like a short squeeze.

Here is some recent general reading about the subject matter. You'll see usual suspects. I've posted lots of information and examples in these threads.
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/what-would-you-expect-to-pay.423496/
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/price-check-2007-57-reissue-vos-goldtop.421864/
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/why-its-so-complicated-2017-gibson-reissues.423048/
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/new-member-help.423291/

And here are older threads with the same subject matter. The topic goes on and on.
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/reissue-prices.342968/
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/2015-historic-pricing.314387/

Best of luck in your search if you're in the market. Take your time, and talk to the seller and dealers. Shop around for quotes in different parts of the country. Remember, there are no rules on price, just like music.
Some great info here, thank you for that

fleahead

Reaction score
It's so easy to read all this with the knowledge that I don't care at all, lol. Patty Lou's an '01 R8 which was the first really good year for flame top R8's, but I've never even considered the eventual sale price. She's been played, modded... it'll never come close to the market prices on used 8's, so "what me worry?"

hackenfort

Reaction score
Seems like yesterday when I purchased a 1994 R9 - thought it was a steal at @4600 USD

While I like the build quality of the newer ones better, woods back in the mid 90's were killer

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
Some will say normal CC models are in this catagory, but we've come to learn quite a bit in the past few years of repurposed CC's sold as R9's, so there really isn't anything special with these guitars compared to the normal R8 or R9.
*CC R9s were sold as R8s.
That's worth mentioning given the context.
Other than that, it was a great read.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Generally here, 8-10 year old Plaintop R8's are selling for more than they cost to buy, at that time.How much more depends on how fast you want to sell them.If they are particularly clean and resonant,priced 25% more than what you paid,they go quite quickly.
Same can be said about every guitar. Compare 10 year old and current prices for SG Standards or MIM Fenders.

rogue3

Reaction score
Same can be said about every guitar. Compare 10 year old and current prices for SG Standards or MIM Fenders.
Cool.Just my own recent evidence based experience with *R's*(the op's question).I don't compare the market per se and am not an authority.