Current Gibson Production Time (build to retailer in-stock status)

nadzab

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any insight or theories on this because I ordered an LPC in Alpine White from Sweetwater in late April, with the delivery time (at that point), estimated to be sometime in May; that was later modified to late July, and currently, sometime in August. This is OK, I knew it wasn't going to be a two-day shipping thing, and I don't have an emergency need for a white Les Paul Custom.

Out of curiosity, however, I wonder what is factoring into the ongoing delays. For starters, I don't know what the "normal" lead time is on a garden-variety LPC (the black ones were in stock when I ordered the white one); and I suspect that Gibson, like so many other companies, has been hit hard by supply chain delays and staffing shortages - although I don't know if a lot of custom shop production line workers would have been part of the "great resignation". I do wonder, though, who is building guitars in the custom shop these days - are they short handed? Have they lost experienced builders, and production has slowed because of more QC issues? Just speculating here, it could be none, or any of these things, or some combination of all/any.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody has any thoughts or inside knowledge. Cheers and TIA,

Don

DarthPaul

Reaction score
Apparently you aren't alone...

nadzab

Reaction score
Apparently you aren't alone...

I swear I searched for similar posts before I posted...

Just hoping that since mine isn't an M2M order, and it's through Sweetwater (which must have some pull with Gibson, based on volume, right??) that I wouldn't find myself in that situation.

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that white Customs are a bitch to paint. Gibson might be pushing back the production of what is likely a low production model.

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, with the 'rona, there was an uptick in demand and it's possible you're feeling the effects of that.

And who knows what Gibson's materials and labor situation is like.

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
It's not just a Gibson thing. For Gibson wait times for the stores I buy from (Europe) the wait is usually 7-9 months if you want something specific in a specific color. The price will also change when it comes (and be higher) EACH DAMN SHIPMENT. Recently I wanted a 335, ordered one to the store (did not buy - it was a terrible one, the store sent it back). Ordered in December or January, it was in the store in June.
The next shipment date is set for January 2023 from what they told me. Guess it depends on the retailer.

Fender is Worse if you want something really specific.

Back in September 2021 I wanted a Vintera 50's strat in a specific finish. The store said it'd be available in November... 2022. I ended up buying one in a color I don't love because it was in stock.

Latest Threads