Current Double cutaway models

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seached here and at Gibson.com and couldn't really get a handle on possibly a 2010 DC (new in a store) locally.

It is priced like a Studio, but seems to have some flame under non-s/b gloss red lacquer on an arched top, creme neck binding & pickup surrounds w chrome humbuckers, creme pickguard, Nashville bridge and stud tailpiece.

Neck seems like a '59 or possibly not so thin '60's and has (I think) 22 frets. Glossy red finish. Silk screen logo as I recall.

It seems like a Standard LP in most respects, except it's not sunburst but does show flame through the finish, and it's a double cut.

Four pots too I think, plus toggle.

Was this model recently dropped?

It seems better than I remember most double cuts. Like newer Standard except without the funny jack.

I'll try for a phone pic next time I get near it.

Any love for double cuts like this one? experience?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I've always liked the DCs for looks. Never played one, so I can't say anything there.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never thought much about them before. they always seemed like a johnny-come-lately useless variation on a Les Paul theme.

But maybe they're not popular so cheap, but overlooked?

The one I'm seeing locally seems like good bang for the buck, and I wouldn't likely care about resale so the value seems good right now, for what it FEELS like (feels like a Standard in many ways), for more than a thousand dollars less.

I can't quite swing it right now. I hope it doesn't become the one that got away.

As far as sounds, it seems to feel and sound chambered so likely my Studio faded has it already covered. It's just winking at me...

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
They've always been the red-headed step-child of the line. Ad support on introduction, but quickly pushed to the back of the lineup.

IIRC, the older ones weren't chambered.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the feeling what I've been looking at is a 2010 DC Pro.

They were available from like, Sweetwater, etc. and there was a confused review at Epinion.com where a guy ran down a bunch of knowledge he had in his review: some of which was helpful, but suspect, given his description of weight relief, etc.

I shall have to look at this guitar in person again, which will have to wait on my schedule.

I don't really have the dosh even for the bottom feeders of the line right now anyway, but can't help feeling this guitar seems like good bang for the buck, given the present economy.

It's certainly a buyer's market. But stores are standing tall on the Traditional and Standards. Sheesh!

I can wait. Just don't want to by-pass that nice neck and red gloss mahogany Gibson seems to do so well.

Latest Threads