Current 335 (w/block) differences? WWYB?

Leo_Gibson

Reaction score
Seriously thinking about finally dropping major $$$ and getting a 335 with block inlays. From looking at Gibson.com, it seems like there are 4 current models:

I'm really confused over the differences in these—especially the first three that are all supposedly 1963 models. Can you guys help me figure out what the differences between these four are, and let me know what one you would buy (and why)?

I'm looking for current production models as opposed to used partly because I want to be able to go try them in NYC (recommendations for where are greatly appreciated!).

jamman

Reaction score
Please take a look on the other forum . I posted the reply there . I think it might help you , But please feel free to ask more detailed question about something you have in mind .
The top 3 you posted are ~ Custom Shop made guitars in specs and quality ...The last 1 is a standard issue Memphis made similar to a USA guitar Gibson . Makes a big difference ,Imo .
whatever you buy ,if you do ,,,,Don't pay MAP prices ..Ever ... Think 1 of there Dealers such as Dave's , HOG and such .Call Curt , Imo is our bet . BUT Dave's has a fantastic looking 2015 '63 335 NOW . It was 1of 4 I considered buying if I could get the VN '63 I got from HOG/Curt .

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
I have the Memphis models, other than one Nashville dot, I personally find the quality equal between the two. Memphis seems to have really stepped up the game.

R

budg

Reaction score
I have the Memphis models, other than one Nashville dot, I personally find the quality equal between the two. Memphis seems to have really stepped up the game.

R
I agree. My Dots build quality i superb and I tried som Custom Shops too.But there is a dog in every bunch.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Custom 1963 ES-335 Block Reissue @ $5,299 MSRP

I've been told by Gibson (multiple emails with a Bob Burns) and 2 guys I buy my guitars through this guitar is not being made any longer. I was going through the same problem as I wanted "Historic Appointments" on my 335. Musicians Friend has this guitar listed as a 2015 for sale in the color "faded cherry", which is not a Memphis color.
I was under the assumption that Nashville made the historic 335's and Memphis made their own guitars. (60's cherry, Historic Burst and Pelham Blue in the 63 Reissue) But I guess I was wrong as the 63 is built to Historic Specs.

After all my research I decided on this Memphis 1963 ES-335TD & TDC 2015 @ $4,199 MSRP
All the historic appointments with regards to long tenon, hide glue, truss rod, etc. Also has MHS pickups

At any rate the whole thing was very confusing. Even in the end, if that "Block Reissue" is available still, I could not find the reason to spend more money on it as the 63 Reissue has the exact same specs other than pickups.

If you are after a Memphis 1963 ES-335TD & TDC 2015 @ $4,199 MSRP you should be able to take one home for between $2800 and $3200 dollars. I just purchased mine yesterday and am waiting for its arrival in my shop.

Good luck on your decision.

Reaction score
i own the memphis block version on the bottom of your list. it is my favorite of all my guitars. i doubt you'd be disappointed...

christophervolume-albums-new-gear-picture41544-335-block-antique-red.jpg

christophervolume-albums-live-shots-picture40992-summer-2011.jpg

bluefrog

Reaction score
cool one with hot blocks.
I cannot have all versions of 335 - the 61s wh and a 64s 345.
Do I ? OMG.

LPPILOT

Reaction score
I got one of the Memphis 1963 Block 50th Ann. reissue s been over year , close to two now since I bough it. new. Very slight aging to hard wear , the neck pickup actually had green funk growing on it , who ever did my guitar at Gibson just knocked a home run. Plain top and back 99.5 % NO curl ....plain as can be , deep anchors , correct block, tenon , glue etc. the color is magnificent. Took me about year to locate the exactly the one I wanted . I worried the chit out of everybody in the USA and Gibson . I personally think it looks better than any Clapton model I ve seen. They improved the cherry color. Weight s 7 11oz ..... Barely can tell I'm wearing it. Play for hours on end , no back pain

The best brand new Gibson I ve owned , and over 40 years I ve had rooms full .

Latest Threads